Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

What are the MTB purchasing mistakes you have made?

1. Buying a hybrid 2. Thinking I was going to like road biking 3. Not buying a hitch rack

I ended up getting a real mtn bike and of course loving the trails

mtbr member
    Bought a Mongoose Ritual for $200 as a parts bike during a jump bike build. Wound up hating more or less every part & replacing over the next year. Sold frame and remaining parts and minimized the loss though.

Deity Crankset. Way overpriced, low quality and difficult to install. The friend who told me you can't go wrong with Deity has not yet heard the last of it. In fairness, pretty much everything else Deity I've owned has been pretty good.

BWW Wheelset with BWW branded hubs. Rear hub was absolute junk. It lasted maybe 6 months before the freehub became completely unrideable. Eventually abandoned trying to get help from BWW after appx 20 calls & emails went unreturned.

Sram 1050 series chains. Buy one of these asap if you want experience repairing a broken chain trailside.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Buying into the 29er Hype and getting a hardtail as a backup trail bike. Was never as fun as my full squish bike and it killed my back.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Grafton Joy Stix (1996): Broke when I was removing them with a puller; a friend's also broke at the same place.

Thudbuster (2011): Thought it was a great addition to a HT in Moab; and it was. Until I got into shape and didn't need it. Just got in the way so now it lives in a plastic tub.

Scott Thermoplastic handlebars (1996): Sure, they could take a million fatigue cycles, but so could a round bar of rubber; which is what they felt like when you tried to steer.

Geah Dhea (2013); Heavy. Very heavy. At least they don't roll very well. Did I mention they're heavy?

25T Kick A** cog from Endless (2013). I mean, I am a wuss, but not that big of a wuss.

"2.55" inch Weirwolfs (2012). If these tires are 2.55" wide, then I'm 9 inches. At least the sidewalls cut easy so I could replace them quickly. Unfortunately, when I replaced them, I went with the Dhea's, which happen to have quite robust sidewalls. They're proving to be quite difficult to damage. Probably because they're heavy.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

jrm
    mtbr member
    I bought a Proflex. Rode it once. biggest POS eva.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My biggest mistake was my first bike purchase. Didn't think I'd really mountain bike when I bought it, but would mostly use it on rode and rail trail. Entry hardtail with a pogo fork and SB8 tires. Probably the wrong size, too. (I'm pretty dead between a medium and large.)

On the plus side, with a longer stem, longer seatpost, fork locked out, new saddle, and some Serfas Drifter 29 tires it works now when I do what I originally intended to with that bike. (I guess that's minimizing my losses, at greater expense.) That money would have softened the blow when I bought a Tallboy LT for what I discovered was much more fun riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Joplin 4R. Good idea, bad execution. Shoulda went with another model.

A red seat. If wearing pants any other color than black, they will become red too. Was wearing grey sweat pants under wind breakers for winter riding. Buy the time I was done, the grey sweats looked like I just had a period.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    crankbrothers Joplin
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm sure I've made more mistakes than this, but these are the ones I can think of:

Seatpost clamp: assumed FD clamp was same diameter as seatpost clamp.
    Chainring: Bought 110 BCD instead of 95 BCD.
    Piston for Juicy 5: ruined brake trying to remove stuck piston. Luckily, I found a used brake for $5 on eBay.
    Cheap brake housing in bulk: cable wires kept protruding out of casing after a few months of use.
    Cheap cables: Frayed during installation.

I guess that's not too bad. I don't regret most of my purchases.

mtbr member

Re: What are the MTB purchasing mistakes you have made?

My biggest MTB purchase mistake was waiting 29 years to buy one.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Pretty much each time I was an early adopter I got burnt. Pros get paid to be early adopters; when you pay retail, might as well buy tried and true.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    I think mistakes are inevitable. The crystal ball isn't infallible, especially if when you're starting out. Probably my most expensive mistake was buying a new mid-budget XC 29er and then realizing a few months later that what I really wanted was an expensive AM 26er.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 68 Hundred View Post

"2.55" inch Weirwolfs (2012). If these tires are 2.55" wide, then I'm 9 inches. At least the sidewalls cut easy so I could replace them quickly. Unfortunately, when I replaced them, I went with the Dhea's, which happen to have quite robust sidewalls. They're proving to be quite difficult to damage. Probably because they're heavy.
    I got two as well, only put one on. At least they're labeling them '2.3' now, even though they're more like 2.1's.

Roll of Sunlite brake cable housing, it's not even good for cruisers.

An Elixir. Would have been an OK brake if they hadn't made it the macintosh of disk brakes... needlessly proprietary spares that are stupid expensive make me wanna kill.

mtbr member
    Replacing cheapo Candy 1 pedals with XT. The only Shimano upgrade I wish I could take back.
    ​mountain biking is fun.

mtbr member
    Buying a singlespeed. Still can't figure out WHY you'd want one...
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

Competent User

What are the MTB purchasing mistakes you have made?

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    I think mistakes are inevitable. The crystal ball isn't infallible, especially if when you're starting out. Probably my most expensive mistake was buying a new mid-budget XC 29er and then realizing a few months later that what I really wanted was an expensive AM 26er.
    You had a Camber, right?

I made that mistake too.

mtbr member
    I think the biggest mistake I made was years back I got myself a IRD Titanium fork. It was light and cool but it was horrible. Never got the brakes to work well on that thing and the bike would studder so bad on the descents.

Not mine but mine was just like this one.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/dow....php?id=130029

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernina View Post
    Clipless pedals were my worst mistake. I now ride much more difficult terrain on flats than I ever would on clipless.

X2, I can completely relate.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue426 View Post
    Not sure if this is going to qualify here. I bought a pair of Bontrager baggie shorts today that when I got home I noticed they were Women Specific Designed.I'm going to wear them anyways cause they fit so well.
    Just don't start saying "Does my butt look big in these?"

mtbr member
    May 2013
    My most recent mistake was buying a bike from a bonehead on ebay.
    Yup, feedback is there for a reason.

mtbr member
    Buying a used hardtail, and thinking that I wouldn't miss riding a full-suspension. Now I own both, but that hardtail might be eBay'd here shortly.

Creepy tooth fairy
    I do not make too many purchasing mistakes any longer having done this for over 25 years. These days at worst it may be a clothing size futz up. However, a few things do come to mind that just did not suit my proclivities.

• Cable disc brakes...many people love them, but having used hydros since '99, cables just did not cut it.
    • Cane Creek Thudbuster...would have been okay except that I put it on a Freeride hardtail and demolished it quickly.
    • 9mm QR's on front forks after having ridden thru-axles...I just could not go back.
    • Selle SLR saddle...it did not fit my tush.

the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

gravity fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    I made this same mistake twice. I find myself missing the 9er HT when I'm grinding up the logging roads, but once I reach the techy single track, I'm much happier on my burly 26 AM bike.

650b will probably be my next mistake...

mtbr member
    Buying used things on Ebay because I am on a budget instead of waiting a week till I have the money when 90% of the time after everything is shipped they come now that I have the money!!!

ragley blue pig x

Re: What are the MTB purchasing mistakes you have made?

Buying a complete bike and replacing every part on it so it is exactly how I like it..and after a few months buying a better frame.

Then putting the original bike back together and using it as an expensive commuter instead of selling it for a silly low price to some dude on skid row

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast