Thread: What I believe

mtbr member

What I believe

I believe that mountain biking is the perfect sport. It combines endurance, skill, thrill, gear, and adventure in some of the most beautiful spots on the planet.

I believe there is nothing hotter than a fit woman hammering up a trail on a mountain bike. (sorry, ladies, these are MY beliefs)

I believe that the best bike in the world is the bike the rider has the most fun on. Whether that means climbing fast or descending fast or being pretty good at both.

I believe in full suspension.

I believe that mountain biking is, at its core, an endurance sport and that there is satisfaction in climbing every vertical foot that I descend.

I believe that riding on the roads as a way to improve your mountain biking is like eating cauliflower to improve how you eat pizza.

I believe in taking customers mountain biking instead of golfing.

I believe that wheel size options are marketing hype and I believe that marketing hype is good for all of us.

I believe in the Yetiman.

I believe that Clydesdales should have to race in the same category as smaller riders. We didn't get the option for "lightweight" competition on the football field back when you were knocking us out of our cleats.

I believe in the severely overweight guy barely moving up the hill in his granny gear, bathed in sweat even though it's 40 degrees out. He's doing something about it and deserves our encouragement. And I was him 71 pounds ago.

I believe in chainring scars, ankle tan lines, bloody elbows, torn saddles, aspirated insects, worn out cassettes, 5-bike racks on SUVs, replaceable derailleur hangers, spare tubes, and mountain bike vacations.

I believe in spending more time in life physically exhausted and less time mentally exhausted. (I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it!)
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Preaching to the choir man.

mtbr member
    Great post. Rep to you.

mtbr member

What I believe

I'm going riding early am just because of your post
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I believe that riding on the roads as a way to improve your mountain biking is like eating cauliflower to improve how you eat pizza.
    It's actually more like eating creamed spinach....cauliflower's more exciting than road riding.

mtbr member
    Awesome Post!

High Desert MTBer
    Yep! To ALMOST all... WTF is a Yetiman? How do I get to believe in him? Seems to be working for you
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    love it, the fat guy was/is me 50 lbs ago, 20 to go!
    and i have the least money into my current ride of any i can remember and it is more fun than any i can remember.

mtbr member

Re: What I believe

Nice post...

mtbr member
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I immediately thought of Steve Martin when I saw your thread title. Good post.

mtbr member

I believe that the best bike in the world is the bike the rider has the most fun on. Whether that means climbing fast or descending fast or being pretty good at both.

I believe that mountain biking is, at its core, an endurance sport and that there is satisfaction in climbing every vertical foot that I descend.

I believe that wheel size options are marketing hype and I believe that marketing hype is good for all of us.

I believe in the Yetiman.

I believe that Clydesdales should have to race in the same category as smaller riders. We didn't get the option for "lightweight" competition on the football field back when you were knocking us out of our cleats.

I believe in the severely overweight guy barely moving up the hill in his granny gear, bathed in sweat even though it's 40 degrees out. He's doing something about it and deserves our encouragement. And I was him 71 pounds ago.

I believe in chainring scars, ankle tan lines, bloody elbows, torn saddles, aspirated insects, worn out cassettes, 5-bike racks on SUVs, replaceable derailleur hangers, spare tubes, and mountain bike vacations.

I believe in spending more time in life physically exhausted and less time mentally exhausted. (I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it!)
    Aloha, my favorites kept above in the quote.

Also, along with the Steve Martin video that came to mind, I thought about the Bull Durham movie.

mtbr member
    The Bull Durham scene is what I had in mind but the Steve Martin routine works too

Oh my...
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Excellent post!! Thank you. I agree with you. Unfortunately, I have to golf with some clients, but while I'm golfing, I'm always thinking of how fun it would be to make a sweet singletrack course around the golf course.
    I agree with the Clydesdale statement too. They pay more for the uphill, but gravity works both ways and they can fly on the downhill. I was also one of the skinny high school kids that got knocked out of my cleats by the clyde linebackers.

mtbr member
    Nice Post

Gnarly
    I believe there is nothing hotter than a fit woman hammering up a trail on a mountain bike. (sorry, ladies, these are MY beliefs)
    Good post!

What do you think of fit women shredding the gnar downhill?
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm sure Kevin thinks that the gnar is fine too!. But the climbing line of sight is superior you know...

btw, fantastic post, Kevin.
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Good post!

What do you think of fit women shredding the gnar downhill?
    They scare me

In all seriousness, my wife is a distance runner and she was at her most beautiful when she was crossing the 18 mile mark on her way to qualifying for the Boston Marathon. Rad women are hot but I have a thing for fit ones, too!

Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    I'm sure Kevin thinks that the gnar is fine too!. But the climbing line of sight is superior you know...
    Yup! Nothing wrong with that view at all!

And for the hardtailer who sent me some rep, thanks! The "I believe in full suspension" comes from 20 years, on and off, of riding hardtails exclusively. At 48, I finally climbed aboard my first full suspension bike. I now believe. And bought the frame that day. I pick up the full bike tomorrow!

mtbr member
    And for the hardtailer who sent me some rep, thanks! The "I believe in full suspension" comes from 20 years, on and off, of riding hardtails exclusively. At 48, I finally climbed aboard my first full suspension bike. I now believe. And bought the frame that day. I pick up the full bike tomorrow!
    I cut my teeth on a fully rigid when I started mountain biking back in the mid 80's. The days of no good gearing, narrow tires, bad brakes and no suspension. I had just as much fun as I am having today, just different for sure.

It was the early 90's I hopped aboard my first FS (Mongoose Amp) and never turned back.

mtbr member
    Great post, I wasn't going to read it because I was afraid it would mention god, background checks, or the deficit. Thank you.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    Great post, I wasn't going to read it because I was afraid it would mention god, background checks, or the deficit. Thank you.
    Ha! Same here!
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    "I believe that riding on the roads as a way to improve your mountain biking is like eating cauliflower to improve how you eat pizza."

I sent this quote to some of my roadie friends (they mountain bike a little, but they're good guys). They sound kinda pissed.

Another is like drinking Coors Lite to improve how you drink your home brew.
    I like to ride bikes.