Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Paste eater
    Been a fun year...

Finally got a chance to take the big bike down Horsethief. Forgot my knee pads and nearly passed but alas, all good.

This up and over spot has been bugging me for a while. Finally bagged it.

Dumb enough to finally do this one. Probably the most famous drop to flat so I felt I had to do it once.. I Think that's enough.

Then there is this guy. Better half does't like when I do this one.

And lasty, there is the fail.

Kid disguised as an adult
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Ouch! That landing *had* to hurt. I would have broken a few bones. Then my wife would have broken a few more for me.
    If you turn the light on fast enough,
    you can see what the dark looks like.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blue42blue42 View Post
    Michael, Nice. Can you roll down the rock, or do you just have to commit and launch?
    Hey Mr. blue,

Commitment is the order of the day!

It's way too steep, as in past vertical, and tall to roll. Even just noodling off it you land at the bottom of this picture. Maybe one of the really good guys could pre-jump it and land shorter than that. The speed I'm traveling I would guess my rear tire drops about 5 feet by the time I get it on the ground again. That said the fast guys land waaaay further down than the bottom of this picture!

Take care,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

eb5
    mtbr member
    [/QUOTE]

Damn! I'm sure you'll never forget this fall

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I love seeing pictures like that Jwind. Is this in MI? Not much like that on the east coast. I realize I have much to improve upon.

I hope you landed on your backpack and all you broke was your camelbak bladder.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by blue42blue42 View Post
    I love seeing pictures like that Jwind. Is this in MI? Not much like that on the east coast. I realize I have much to improve upon.

I hope you landed on your backpack and all you broke was your camelbak bladder.
    It's the Notch AKA upper body bag in Moab UT, for good reason. I've cleaned the first section a few times. The problem is where the camera man is standing, there is this hard right with a weird tree/root/rock chunk section. I always seem to come into it a bit rowdy. This was my attempt at slowing things down. Bad idea.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Been a fun year...

Finally got a chance to take the big bike down Horsethief. Forgot my knee pads and nearly passed but alas, all good.

Mad props on that one.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Nice work on cleaning Horsethief, it's tough to even see the line in there when you just stand and look at it.
    Plenty of pucker facter spots in Curt Gowdy too, definitely keeps you on your game.
    Ouch at the Notch crash!
    Your video isn't showing for me Kent for some reason.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

beater
    Been a fun year...

Dumb enough to finally do this one. Probably the most famous drop to flat so I felt I had to do it once.. I Think that's enough.

Then there is this guy. Better half does't like when I do this one.

Nice pics. I've looked and looked and looked at the diving board and finally convinced myself I didn't really need to do it. Never felt that impulse with that Amasa drop. And I've done the same thing on the Notch, but there aren't any pictures. It would be worth it though, to have that one.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Ow!
    Been a fun year...

Yeah, nice work on Horsethief! As always, the route is much steeper than the camera shows. Yikes!

Pick a wheel size...
    Been a fun year...

Headed here in a few weeks. You make it look SO easy, however I know that is definitely not the case as I've walked up and down that thing 4 times, each time thinking "there's no way I'll ever ride this!" At ~10secs in your vid, you grab the brake and make a very quick turn to the right to hit a steep roll-in...to me, that looks like the make-or-break move in the line you took. Nice work
    Last edited by jimithng23; 08-16-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Paste eater
    [QUOTE=jimithng23;9600574]

Headed here in a few weeks. You make it look SO easy, however I know that is definitely not the case as I've walked up and down that thing 4 times, each time thinking "there's no way I'll ever ride this!" At ~10secs in your vid, you grab the brake and make a very quick turn to the right to hit a steep roll-in...to me, that looks like the make-or-break move in the line you took. Nice work
    The bench is a two part problem IMO. The first, as you mentioned is the at ~10 seconds. Some people try to ride that "trench" head on, but most do what I do. Down the side. All in or nothing type of thing, no brakes till the bottom of the trench or you'll skid out.

The second part is at ~15. Straight on, but chunky and a great place for an endo. The rest of that trail is just so awesome though!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Nice pics. I've looked and looked and looked at the diving board and finally convinced myself I didn't really need to do it.
    Pass on the diving board. I road that trail probably a dozen times before one day I just did it. Nothing about that is smooth. In fact, i'm fairly certain the landing is pitch a few degrees the up.

beater
    It is actually an incline. And I've just read a lot of accounts of people doing it all wrong. A four-footer doesn't really worry me much, but I land with all the delicacy and grace of a metal trash can full of rocks. One day, when my drops to flat get lighter...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I did not clear the log ride at Movil Maze

Motion activated
    This log ride It's about the most action my MTB has seen this year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you cleared lately? Pics-004-sm.jpg  

Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

beater
    Well, there's probably beer at the bottom of it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    This log ride It's about the most action my MTB has seen this year.
    Awesome pic. Assuming you have a good wife at home that lets you get away with that.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan View Post

You know, I'm a very competent rider; but this right here is why I'm sooooo leery of riding skinny logs. They kinda freak me out for this very reason.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan View Post

At least you fell of the right side. Left side would have cost you a hangar at minimum.

Motion activated
    Glad you enjoyed the pic guys. Pretty sure there was a Hazed and Infused waiting for me in the fridge as I coasted into the kitchen.

..and, yes I am one lucky guy with a very, very cool wife who can hold her own on two wheels.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Trail Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    You know, I'm a very competent rider; but this right here is why I'm sooooo leery of riding skinny logs. They kinda freak me out for this very reason.
    I agree. I think skinny logs are sometimes scarier then drops and such but I have some compulsion that won't let me ride past one... I have to try it.

captainmorgan, good attempt but the thread is "What have you cleared..." I'll redeem you. Here are some skinny logs on my favorite trail, Bobcat Ridge. The third one is really terrifying because it's pretty steep down but it's hard to tell on the video. This was the first time I did all three even though it took a couple tries:

The Skinny-Logs of Bobcat Ridge - YouTube

mtbr member
    Removed -screwed up.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Cleared this today

Then proceeded to endo on the rocks just past the logs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You know, I never seem to have the camera on when I actually clear something well! Practiced at Ray's all winter riding skinnies and got pretty good, but apparently that doesnt translate into the real world very well.

Quote Originally Posted by RIVER29 View Post
    I agree. I think skinny logs are sometimes scarier then drops and such but I have some compulsion that won't let me ride past one... I have to try it.

captainmorgan, good attempt but the thread is "What have you cleared..." I'll redeem you. Here are some skinny logs on my favorite trail, Bobcat Ridge. The third one is really terrifying because it's pretty steep down but it's hard to tell on the video. This was the first time I did all three even though it took a couple tries:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast