Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New question here. What is "Epic" to you?

We had this question posted on another, much smaller, MTB related board I frequent and thought it garnered some interesting perspective so I figured I'd throw out the question here....

I know I probably over-use the term and frequently say "that trail" or "that ride" was epic. When I say it, I'm more or less implying to anybody willing to listen that the trail is a "must do" when you're in the area.

What say you?

beater

What is "Epic" to you?

Something that creates a lifelong memory, big enough that you talk about it later. Preferably a positive one.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Epic is a word I'll use at most once every few years. For a ride to be epic it would have to require a bit of planning and training and self-doubt - if you know at the start that you can finish a ride, it's not epic.

Someone once told me a ride was "long" if you start to doubt you'll be able to finish right around the point of no return (that is the point where it's just as much work to finish the ride as it would be to turn around). That definition mostly works for me.

Off the back...
    The connotation of "epic" has changed over the years. It used to mean "a very long ride with consequences and potentially an overnight stay in the woods if your map-reading skills aren't that good". 8+ hours on the trail, some hike-a-bike and some bushwhacking were good signs you were on an EPIC RIDE.

In the last few years, the meaning has morphed into "a long ride, likely tedious", where upon completion you will be quietly thankful that it's over and never contemplate riding it again.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    If I liked it it is an Epic.
    If I thought it was meh, it is not epic.

Anyone else's opinion is wrong.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The term has been popularized and overused as of recently. Everything can't be epic, or there would really be no epic anything. To get back to the original intent of the word... "extending beyond the usual or ordinary especially in size or scope"

So, in today's overuse of the term, if everything is "epic" --sh1t has to get real crazy to truly be epic. Like you found a unicorn on your ride or something.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    big show (15 riders or more)

miles of mud

beaver pond up to headset

35+ miles

(all in one ride)

achiever
    It's not epic unless the people leading the ride have a motto that reads something akin to "we're not happy until you're not happy".
    Last edited by redwarrior; 04-09-2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: dim bulb

Over the Hill
    All day in the saddle, a lot of hike a biking, mostly new dirt, some place not normally ridden, deep into the forest or desert away from most. And bad weather, bad weather rides have stayed in my mind longer than any other rides. Being pelted by hail with lightening close by will stick in your mind.

mtbr member
    A word that goes with dude. I would never call someone dude nor a ride epic.

Last winter I spent six days skiing bottomless power off piste (backcountry) in the French Alps with constant avalanche danger and that wasn't epic. Extreme? Nah, not that either. Fun, yes.

That's about it for me. A ride is either fun or it sucked but never epic.

Trail Prospector

Re: What is "Epic" to you?

Due to Specialized's legal team, be advised that no longer can the term EPIC be used without fear of retaliation.

Anyone using a GPS to track their rides who even mutters that once trendy word can expect to be swooped down upon by a Blackhawk helio sporting a big red "S", and at gunpoint be repeatedly flogged by corporate goons.

From now on whenever riding and lost, running out of light, suffering from dehydration, mechanicals, or caught in a shiitestorm - I'll just refer to the ride as another SAM.
    (Sinyard's an Azz Muncher)

(tapa)
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Due to Specialized's legal team, be advised that no longer can the term EPIC be used without fear of retaliation.

Anyone using a GPS to track their rides who even mutters that once trendy word can expect to be swooped down upon by a Blackhawk helio sporting a big red "S", and at gunpoint be repeatedly flogged by corporate goons.

From now on whenever riding and lost, running out of light, suffering from dehydration, mechanicals, or caught in a shiitestorm - I'll just refer to the ride as another SAM.
    (Sinyard's an Azz Muncher)

(tapa)
    Just so we're clear, I trademarked the capital E before they trademarked the word Epic so from now on I would prefer if the MTB community would refer to all really challenging or cool rides as "Ride I can't describe without pissing off those lawyer bastards at Specialized!" Your cooperation is appreciated.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    ...expect to be swooped down upon by a Blackhawk helio sporting a big red "S", and at gunpoint be repeatedly flogged by corporate goons.
    ^^ This would actually be pretty Epic.

Brant-C.
    epic - a ride that did not go as planned but ended up with lots of memories and adventures.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member

Re: What is "Epic" to you?

I don't know why all you twisted ****s associate 'epic' with pain, suffering, and riding in shite conditions. If hike a bike is your thing, maybe leave the bike at home, take up hiking, and all your 'rides' will be epic. I find that increasing the amount of hours riding inherently decreases the pace and quality of ones riding, so 8 hours in the saddle only makes for epic saddle sores IMO.

I like challenging tech, so any substantial ride with double black segments is likely to qualify. Something with a lot of challenge/reward. Also could be a ride on any trail that elicits that rare, but awesome, "I could mash forever" type of feeling.

Actually, scratch all that. IMBA decrees that which is, or is not epic. If you had a ride, which you thought was epic, but it does not appear on the list, it was not truly epic at all. You were obviously just confused.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    ^^ This would actually be pretty Epic.
    No, it would be pretty "thing I can't describe without pissing off those lawyer bastards at Specialized." Man, if you don't become more Specialized Neutral in your language they'll come get us all and ship us to the prison in the town formally known as Roubaix.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    A whole day on the trail with good friends, doing 70 km singletrack just outside the capital.

EPIC.

What is "Epic" to you?-2013-06-23-11.17.22.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    ...ship us to the prison in the town formally known as Roubaix.
    ^^ Now THAT would be E-word.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pigah

Professional Crastinator
    I have to go by examples...
    2 "epic" riding days out of my 20-some years of MTBing:
    1 was a ~28 mile day in PA that started with 16 people and ended with 5, due to broken bikes, cramps, bonking, dehydration, etc. I was in the 5 and I rode everything like a boss that day. Plus, I drove 3 hrs. that morning to get there. Did the ride. Then drove 3 hrs. home in a monsoon without crashing my truck or falling asleep at the wheel. The above-and-beyond-o-meter was pegged that day.

The other was 111 miles of N. GA trails in 4 days. Each day by itself was hardly "epic", but looking back on the sum-total of shenanigans over the 4 days, it qualifies as an epic trip.

So I guess "epic" requires larger-than-usual challenges, success, and shenanigans. Food and beer helps, too.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    The way people throw the word around these days, "Epic" is quickly becoming the new lowest common denominator

One by Nine is Fine
    What is "Epic" to you?-biketoarctic.jpg

Fatbike to the Arctic

1000 miles, 37 days.

Read it, he's a great writer and great photographer. And their adventure qualifies as epic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Old Farts Rock

My husband was the oldest (69 racing as 70), but by no means the last, finisher of the 60-mile Ouachita Challenge Tour this past Saturday. I thought that was definitely epic on his part. He was very tired by the end but not totally exhausted. Especially epic because he was not specifically training for this event.
    Monday, he was out doing a 3-hour road ride.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Good responses everyone. I won't try to define "Epic" but an one epic ride (IMO) that I did with 3 other buddies was The Whole Enchilada down in Moab.
    30+ miles from an "epic" climb to 11000+ feet then to the awesome 20+ mile descent along Porcupine Rim down to the Colorado River.
    One of the most scenic and technical rides I've done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is "Epic" to you?-img_0042.jpg  

What is "Epic" to you?-img_0047.jpg  

Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

banned
    Jan 2013
    I agree that "epic" is overused. I have a very good friend i MTB and surf with who uses the "E" word to describe anything good. We tease him about it all the time, but he cant lay off using it liberally as a descriptive word.

To me...

Surfing Epic = double overhead+. This involves some personal perspective i suppose. In Hawaii that size is not uncommon. Here in Southern California we get a handful of days per year at best that big. If i stand on the shore deciding if i have balls big enough to paddle out, the surf is epic.

MTB Epic = a trail that, when done, provides lasting memories and was considered FUN... yet everyone involved agrees its perfectly ok to not do that trail again for 10 years if ever.

Common theme between both sports, fun above all but dire consequences for failure. "That was fun! Thank god i survived!"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast