Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    pin it
    An epic ride would be quite impressive and totally awesome.

Last October my huband and I rode 4 full days of DH at Mont Ste Anne. The riding experience was kickass, scenery lush, food extraordinary and accomodations perfect. We had a blast! It was a grand and unique way to wrap up the DH season
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Diggity Dog

What is "Epic" to you?

Getting out of bed in the morning.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    He's my step-brother, oh wait, you said "Epic" I thought you said "Eric." My bad.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I don't have a set definition of what qualifies as an epic ride, but it usually involves some combination of triple digit mileage, 5 digit elevation gains, not going home at night, and generally experiencing things you don't normally get a chance to on a short ride.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    getting stoke on shredding total gnar.... is epic
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mnoutain bkie rdier
    The definition of "epic" clearly varies from one individual to the next. This is why so many folks get all bent outta shape over its use.

For example,while one individual might refer to a scary roller coaster ride as "epic", most likely an astronaut would not agree.

Does it mean that it was not "epic" for the person claiming it was? No.

The term "epic" simply refers to something exciting/great that was totally out of the ordinary for said individual.

mtbr member
    So why not just call it "exciting" or "great" then?

29ers Forever
    Lord of the Rings.
    And riding fast through some tight twisty stuff without crashing.

EDIT: NOT the Specialized bearing the "Epic" name.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamrockandroll13 View Post
    I don't have a set definition of what qualifies as an epic ride, but it usually involves some combination of triple digit mileage, 5 digit elevation gains, not going home at night, and generally experiencing things you don't normally get a chance to on a short ride.
    you actually had one of those? if so, how 'bout some details, like where for starters.
    breezy shade

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    So why not just call it "exciting" or "great" then?
    Who would Specialized sue then?
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Formerly of Kent

What is "Epic" to you?

Riding a stationary bike watching an Afghan sunrise, driving 120km on HWY 1, walking 25km in 95 degree heat wearing 60lbs of body armor and weapons, arriving well after midnight, seeing another sunrise on a stationary bike in a place I had never seen.

Then, same drive/walk the next day, plus a massive IED strike on a bus 50m away. Called in MEDEVAC birds, set up HLZ, secured the area, and saved at least three lives. One being a little girl with severe bleeding that looked like my niece.

Nothing I do on a bike in the states will compare to that. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    At 66 yrs old (and 2nd year rider), any ride I survive is "epic"!

the half breed devil
    all of the above...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    you actually had one of those? if so, how 'bout some details, like where for starters.
    Last October I lived in Bald Eagle State Forest for a week, did about 500 miles and about 30,000 ft of climbing on a bike packing trip, one day of that that trip I did 104 miles with a little over 10,000 ft. It was a good time. My best one day total was about 141 miles and about 13.5 K elevation. I'm training to do the Trans North Georgia Adventure race in August which is a 350 mile 56k ft route across the top of Georgia in August.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

Quote Originally Posted by Ddeand View Post
    At 66 yrs old (and 2nd year rider), any ride I survive is "epic"!
    Good perspective check. My first century (at 19) seemed epic (because it was my first ride longer than 10 miles) and it would be challenging now, but when I was racing it was a training ride, no big deal.

EMBA Member
    It's kinda like the old Groucho Marx line where he said he'd never be a member of any club that would have him as a member. As an old guy still riding, I figure any ride I can complete can't be epic, so that means it has to be singletrack longer than 28 miles with 3,800 feet of climbing (my current max).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    A word that goes with dude. I would never call someone dude nor a ride epic.

Last winter I spent six days skiing bottomless power off piste (backcountry) in the French Alps with constant avalanche danger and that wasn't epic. Extreme? Nah, not that either. Fun, yes.

That's about it for me. A ride is either fun or it sucked but never epic.
    Epic response dude... I'm buying you a virtual Dos Equis, because you, sir, are the most interesting man in the world.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    When related to biking "epic" may have different connotations. A super long ride, just a really great ride, or perhaps a ride with numerous mishaps. In my memory, my most epic ride started out early one morning with a map, no info, and the idea of finding a 4000' vertical trail. After 45 miles of riding dirt roads, getting lost, and pushing my bike through the woods, I found the beginning of the trail. At this point, the sun was starting to set, so I needed to move fast. Only problem was, a forest fire a few years prior had pretty much wiped the trail out and it was overgrown with a brush called Whitethorn, which has thorns about the size and sharpness of sewing needles. As I rode and hike-a-biked down, the trail became worse and worse, till finally I lost the trail. I assumed the trail was below me, so I hiked downhill looking, but found nothing but more brush. I then decided to leave my bike in a drainage and go without it, hoping that I might find it again some day. As darkness approached, I knew I was going to have to spend the night and build a fire, as I always carry matches. Well almost always. As I dug through my pack, I couldn't find any f-ing matches! Why? because I'm a f-ing idiot! All I had was my shorts, lycra shirt, and a paper f-ing map for a blanket! I frantically pulled dry grass out of the ground to make a bed. After a while I realized this wasn't going to work. I needed to move, but didn't have a f-ing light! Why? Let's not get into that. By 11 pm the moon started coming out, so I decided to start hiking down through 12' tall brush, not really able to see the steep slope. I got into a drainage, I believe called Sh-- Creek, and figured I needed to go up to have any chance of finding the trail again. As I thrashed along I thought I saw a corridor in the brush. I followed slowly and yes, I think it was a trail! Gradually it became more distinct. By 3 am I made it to the car, legs raw, red and scratched, but what a relief! After the sun came up I put two pairs of pants on and climbed up the "trail" till I saw bike tracks, then backtracked and found the bike, now with a flat tire, but it didn't matter because I had to carry the bike anyway.

Some of the riders where I live have a saying after every ride..."Best ride ever!"

mtbr member
    My bike

Trail Prospector
    ^ Sponsored Sock?

If not, please tell us why...
    (i.e. It regularly takes me for long adventures where we get lost, shot at, run out of H20,
    entertain cannibalism & nearly die.)

(tapa)
    Last edited by Flyin_W; 04-16-2014 at 10:20 AM. Reason: curiousity
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Terms change.

'Organic' still rubs me wrong. ALL food is organic!!!

'Epic' is at its best though when coupled with 'Fail'

Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack View Post
    Terms change.

'Organic' still rubs me wrong. ALL food is organic!!!

'Epic' is at its best though when coupled with 'Fail'
    I think organic was reborn as a marketing ploy that is generally used in a deceptive manner. All food is organic and no "organic" food I'm aware of is unaltered by humans in some way. Don't confuse that for a condemnation of more natural foods, I'm all for doubling the price of food to reduce the pesticides and lower production rates. But we're gonna need a few volunteers to cease their existance to balance things out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If Spielberg could make a movie about your ride that the general public would pay to go see, then the ride was epic. Otherwise it was just a ride.

mtbr member
    Hanging out with a new friend, then stealing some trees and making a boat. Spurning the advances of a goddess and then killing a bull. Seeing your friend punished and becoming obsessed with immortality. Travelling to a mountain hermit only to lose the key to long life on the way home. Recognizing immortality in your actions, not your life and living happily.

Plus going on really long mountain bike rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    MTB Epic, I think you've got it covered BRG. A few years ago I rode "Comfortably Numb" at Whistler and thoroughly enjoyed it. Good times, Good memories, Good Stories. I've been back to Whistler several times but haven't been back to "Uncomfortable Bum"! The time we got lost in the North Cascades and had to hike out in the dark was pretty epic as well, though not as much fun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast