Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

What does your wife say?

My wife does not understand how I could possibly be so obsessed with bikes. Why I always want to work on them and Why I want to ride all the time.

Anyhow, My question is this. What does your wife or significant other say when you want to drop some serious coin on new parts or a new ride? What does she say when you want to go on an all day epic or all weekend?
    Last edited by JAMarco1; 09-11-2010 at 12:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Not married but my girl always bit*hing about how im riding everyday, and how on the weekends im gone all day. I tell her to come with, but she dont like going far or fast.
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted1
    Not married but my girl always bit*hing about how im riding everyday, and how on the weekends im gone all day. I tell her to come with, but she dont like going far or fast.
    Ahh yes. I get that too. I am pretty much restricted to night riding now. I have to wait until everybody is in bed before I can even think of going for a ride.

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    I get accused of looking for women that like doing all the things I like to do that my wife does not like doing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tjchad
    I get accused of looking for women that like doing all the things I like to do that my wife does not like doing.
    HAHAHAHAHA Thats hilarious!

Ride Responsibly
    My lovely wife has her own addiction, scrapbooking. Sometimes she will buy the latest, greatest new toy only to find she does not like it then gives it away. I just smile and start looking at new tires.

rides with camera
    I buy my wife puppies .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    just give her the credit/debit card an she will leave ya alone
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    She starts calling if I'm gone for more than 2 hours, but it's just to make sure I'm ok. Overall she likes that I have a sport that keeps me happy and stress free, and she has come with me a few times.

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted1
    After 30 years of marriage my wife is thrilled that I'm out riding all the time and gone all weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    mine buys a lot of my stuff for me.
    carbon niner fork, juicy ultimate brakeset, surly 1x1 frameset spring to mind off the top of my head.
    you sure you're doing things right?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    My wife rides with me 80 percent of the time. The rest I am alone. She likes to ride, she is just not very fast or risky. I wait for her on the trail quite a bit, but it is worth it to have her out there. I am definitely more obsessed than she is about it. For her, it is just nice to get out and get some exercise. We actually got into mtbing together cause I was spending so much time whitewater boating. Now, the only thing I do is mtb. The plan backfired!

Young, Shawn Young
    My wife wants me to buy a new bike. The temptation is very real but Im hanging on to the 2004 575 for now
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My wife is all for it because I come home all smiles after a ride. Also, she stays home with the kids and we give each other breaks to do whatever we like. I spend my "off" time on my bike, and the rest of the time not spent working is with her and the kids. A bit of compromise goes a long way.

On the money part, we just talk about everything and set practical budgets, including for our hobbies. Communication is the key. If you don't have that, well you're screwed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have tried and tried to get her out on the trail with me but, she's just not interested.

mtbr member
    Have you tried doing and enjoying something with her that she really likes? Invest the time in your relationship.

After being involved in an activity she enjoys for a while, set up an easy ride with another couple, and plan to all stick together. She may like the social aspect of riding that way.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMarco1
    I have tried and tried to get her out on the trail with me but, she's just not interested.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My wife says:

"How long until we get to the trail head."

scars > tattoos
    my boyfriend says: "i think you've bought enough bike stuff for now, don't you?" and then asks me where the best deals are online. so, uh, we don't have this problem.

Retro on Steroids
    I met my wife when she bought a bike from my shop in 1982. We were married four years later. It's not like she didn't know.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

Vermonter to the Core
    my wife says im obeseeeesssseddddd!! I say yep! then she sees that im healthy, thin and full on life.. she wont get into riding because she does not like to fall... I tell her falling is part of learning.
    She did get pissed when I came home with a new FS Cannondale this year ;-p
    JEM
    09 Marlin Disc
    2010 Cannondale RZ 120....
    2011 Trek XO Crossbike
    .......... __o
    ......... -\<
    ........(_)/(_)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjchad
    Insert ex- infront of wife the question, and this reply ....
    And it's true.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Not pertaining to the money side of it, but my wife said something the other day that made us both bust out in laughter.

So there we are back at the car after a ride, about to put the bikes in the back of the car. I'm sitting there un-doing the skewer to remove the front wheel. Sometimes I don't loosen it enough so it's a bit hard to get off. I tug on it a couple of times and get the wheel off. About that time she says "You like to jerk it off!". I (being the immature one in the relationship) just started cracking up, she was a little delayed until she realized what she said and she started laughing out loud too. That was a good stomach hurting 5 minute laugh. Good times haha.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just spent 3k on a new ride and gear. My wife was very cool about it, especially after I dropped 15lbs in a month riding the new, more fun, rig. She even enjoys going to the LBS because they're the only who sells the energy bars she likes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I am lucky because when she is working , I am riding. but when I am seeking a new bike or parts or any stuff she says "remember the bike is the last thing on the budget list"... she does not understand that my bike is not only pieces of metal its like a friend... sometimes when I clean my bike , I talk to him ... and my wife says u r so obessed with ur bike ....

mtbr member
    The more you give her what she wants, the more she will give you what you want.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast