Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Ugly As F*ck
    I'm so ugly that no girl has ever been interested in me. So I'll never have to worry about getting married or having a nagging wife.

Sucks to be you guys.

banned
    Jan 2013
    My x wife got into mtb after we divorced with her new husband. Go figure, 8 years as a bike widow and she married another. Guess at that point she figured she might as well join us.

Current GF is super into fitness. She hits the gym near every day, and with all the "her" time she spends doing group classes my rides are not a problem. As dedicated as she is to exercising, i dont think it would take toooo much of a nudge to get her out on trail. Still early in the relationship for me to buy her a bike. Will give it a wait see and make that call later in the year.

turtles make me hot
    When I met my wife, I told her I was an avid off road cyclist. She claimed to ride bikes. In fact, her daughter (12 at the time) said we ride bikes all the time...
    Yeah... around the block. So... my wife is no rider. After not getting much riding in for a few years while we built a house, I bought a new FS 29er. She wasn't thrilled at all that it cost 3500 dollars. Then my riding exploded. Then I started building bikes and wheels and constantly having parts sent to the house.
    Currently, she needs to start getting more exercise and wants to try riding more. She DOES ride when we travel, just not much at home.
    I'm building her a Salsa Spearfish as light as I can afford.. Every time a part shows up, she has a fit. I'm like, Baby, that's for YOUR bike.
    So, like others in this thread, I'm told I spend too much time and money on bikes. I've lost weight and I've given up boats. I ride at night a lot after everyone is sleeping so I don't take away from family time.
    I like turtles

undercover brother
    Not wife, but gf. Shes into climbing, which got me into it. It helps with core strength and balance ALOT, especially bouldering. She gives me crap everytime I tell her I bought a new part or bike etc. But shes understanding. Shes ridden with me a handful of times over the last year, but was very relunctant at first. She says she wants to ride more this year, so I gotta find her a bike of her own and maybe she'll get bit by the bug.

mtbr member
    I'm fairly lucky in that aspect.

My wife of 23 years is a distance runner. When I met her, that's all she was interested in. I quickly got her to share my passion for skiing and, eventually, mountain biking. Today, she's interested in all of it.

The main "disagreement" we have is around gear and equipment. Being a passionate runner AND a woman, she's never been much into gear-based sports. A pair of shoes and a few good running outfits and she's set.

Part of the draw of mountain biking, to me, is the bike itself. I love reading about them, working on them, spec'ing them, building them up, and planning new ones. My wife doesn't understand that at all. "What's wrong with your old bike?" is a common question.

That being said, if a new bike keeps me riding, she's all for it. I work a very stressful job (executive at a startup manufacturing company) with long hours and extensive travel. I gained a ton of weight in the past few years but recently managed to drop over 60 pounds and have rekindled my love of mountain biking. If a new handlebar or frame gets me out from behind the computer for a couple of hours, it's worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMarco1 View Post
    My wife does not understand how I could possibly be so obsessed with bikes. Why I always want to work on them and Why I want to ride all the time.

Anyhow, My question is this. What does your wife or significant other say when you want to drop some serious coin on new parts or a new ride? What does she say when you want to go on an all day epic or all weekend?
    Same thing she says when I want to spend money on watches, cameras, pc's or my other hobbies

Serenity now!
    My hubs gets annoyed that I'm gone in the evenings and weekends when I go on a group ride without him. He feels left out but he doesn't really want to ride, either. I'm trying to get him to ride more. He has good technical skills but his endurance needs work. He gets tired after 6 miles or so. It's hard for him to find the time on weekdays.

He never says anything about my purchases (3 bikes in 2012). I make good money and I'm not much of a spender in any other category. I also have a second job, so I just put in a few extra hours when I want money to get a new toy.

He loves the outdoors and he really enjoys it when he does ride, so I have hope that he will join me in my passion.
    Duchess of Dab

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by JAMarco1 View Post
    Ahh yes. I get that too. I am pretty much restricted to night riding now. I have to wait until everybody is in bed before I can even think of going for a ride.
    That would have been my exact reply if I had seen this thread earlier. I just used my Christmas present gift cards to get a bike light off of Amazon so I can go ride after both kids and my wife are in bed. Otherwise I try to sneak in a ride with my older kid in her trailer and ride to a park somewhere.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

My Wife Says..........

"Grab your gear and let's load the mtb tandem."

I'm hoping to hear " What about that FS, 29'r, Ventana tandem?"

Don't worry, be happy!
    This wife says, "You can't hassle me about how many bikes i have. I've counted the raft and cataraft frames stacked up in the yard..."

That, or, "hey let's go riding".

saddlemeat
    My wife is thrilled when I buy new stuff, that means she can go buy more new stuff, which thrills me, then I can go buy more stuff. We do need a bigger house with a gear barn.
    Making the smack track baby.

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

I Ride Bikes
    My wife supports my riding. She knows it keeps me healthy and active.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    my wife actually got her bike before I did, she has recently lost 60lbs, and I have lost 70, just propper diet and working hard. She is a little iffy when I drop $500 here and there at pricepoint now and then but she loves to ride.

mtbr member
    My girlfriend/soon-to-be-fiancee never, ever complains when I ride; she rides, too, although she's not as hardcore as I am. She knows how much I love hitting the trails and understands how good it is for my body, mind and life.
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

Rogue Exterminator
    If your wife/gf b!tches about your biking then it is probably time to get rid of her.

I keed, I keed.

But I do have to admit that not being in a serious relationship and getting to do what I want when I want is really nice.

I eat cats
    My wife likes me riding because I get out of her hair. If I come home bloody she dislikes it because she thinks I am going to kill myself. I always leave her a map or directions of my planned ride though. She doesn't really care about the $ as long as I keep buying her those purses made by some Louis dude. She definitely rolls her eyes though when she asks what I'm doing on my iPad and I respond " reading about bikes." She also thought it was a bit strange that I met people on here and met them to ride, until I got home and told her how cool and nice they were!
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ontime View Post
    My wife says:

"How long until we get to the trail head."
    I always ask "how long until I get trailhead"

mtbr member
    I did not want a wife that rides. I need someone to watch the kids while I am gone. If my wife did complain about my riding too much then I would find another wife. It keeps me sain and happy after a highly stressful job where I travel a lot. It is the advantage of a second marriage.

I am sure she would feel the same way if I complained about her too much as well!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    My wife is amazing and she understands how much mtb means to me. We just spent Christmas and New Years in St George and she has no problem when I go off to ride. I always make time to do things with her as well. Last year she bought me a new 5 Spot frame for Christmas. This summer we are moving to Vancouver Island when I retire and the riding there is incredible.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

meh?
    My wife can't ride a bike, period. She just never learned. If I buy parts I feel obligated to make a case for it being necessary, not just because I want it. It's turned into a good way for me to throttle back my spending. As for all the time spent riding, she'll get upset if I don't at least tell her where I'm going. She's always worried about me getting hurt in the woods and not being able to find me.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    She says" nice legs, don't bleed on the couch this week and pick up some more ipa". We give each other some space. My ring tone is my hadley hub coasting, so I can't " hear" my phone. She likes that I get exercise too. I support her shoe and gardening hobbies as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    I always ask "how long until I get trailhead"
    ive always prodded for this as well.....doesnt work....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    my fiancee is not as passionate as I am. But when we the weather is nice, she really appreciates to have a 20 miles road ride, or offroad/gravel ride with me. I offered her a sporty trekking bike full equipped with a shimano 105 drivetrain and marathon plus tyres, and she really loves to have a "Hello Kittie performance bike".
    We often leave Paris to spend our week-ends in the north coast (Le Crotoy) where there are plenty of separate bike lanes following the sea. She comes to appreciate bicycling more and more so that she ordered last month an Electra beach cruiser to bike to work (just 2 miles from home). slowly she's getting into it and I never force her to ride with me, but I know when it is sunny she's always ready for a ride, and I really appreciate the fact this is not a passion for her but a way to take pleasure with me.

As for putting a lot of money into bicycles and parts, she never says bad things about it because she does exactly the same thing with her haute couture high heel shoes and hand bags...........
    Chistole Audax Club - "Unity, Pride and Charcuterie"

I got nothin'
    When I was married, the purchase of MTB parts or gear was a real problem for her. I controlled the spending and really only bought what I needed when something broke or was worn out. Now I am divorced and I met the girls of my dreams. My GF loves to ride! Each time I buy something she wants to know all about it. She was a roadie/tourer type, but has really gotten into MTBing. I built her a Niner EMD last year and she has really taken off on riding. Now she has her eye on a Jet 9 RDO! She rocks!
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Happy wife, happy life!! I am blessed to have a wife that understands that my riding is beneficial not only to me, but to the whole family. I am less stressed, more patient, open to anything after I put in some miles on the dirt and pretty much a better person. My wife is a casual paved bike trail rider and that works best for the family. I like that I do not have to worry about her safety on the trail and it something else I do not have to worry about. Her thing is shopping and going to great restaurants. Great compromise when you think about how much a cyclist eats and how much we spend on bike stuff!

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast