Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba

Seriously, if you take care of her wants (as opposed to needs) you should be pretty free to do what you want.
    That is the ancient martial art of Domestic Tranquility: When mom/wife is happy, everyone is happy.

mtbr member

Long time learning

Sadly, it takes decades to learn the lessons.........

mtbr member
    wow! I must have a pretty stellar wife. she's way cool about me riding. infact she just got back from Vail Co. and broght me back a SICK jersey!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles
    lol Pink Barron

My wife says," YOU GO F---- Your bike in the woods again, ass"
    She says I spend more time maintaining them then I do with her! I tell you if you treat me like my other 'ladies' do I just might! LOL

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time!

mtbr member
    My wife is pretty cool about what I buy. My other love is photography and I spent a ton on it in the past 7 years.
    I shoot Canon and Nikon.

Photographer with a bike. http://dlimaging.zenfolio.com/

mtbr member
    My wife has been changing her mind lately... usually she's cool but lately there's been lots of phone calls and questions....kinda frustrating.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    As a girlfriend who rides and (I'll admit it) has badgered about biking sometimes- I think that the most important part of having a partner who rides with you is the companionship. I haven't been doing this very long, but I think that there's something really special about the kind of guys that will slow it down and take it "easy" just so they can ride with their significant others. Initially, I was really paranoid about riding together- I thought he would KILL me and that I would hold him back to the point of frustration. It's tough when you're joining in on a daunting activity- especially if your other half is already great at it! However, when I started gaining more skill, I got more comfortable.
    For you guys trying to get your girlfriends started on bikes- I got suckered in with the companionship and the simple joy of doing something with my boyfriend. Get them out there once or twice- while taking it EASY on them... Stay at their comfort level and give them lots of encouragement... Soon, they'll be as addicted as I am! I have a photo album of my favorite biking injuries. I also have a special place in my teeny college dorm room for my bike. I have to tell my roommate that yes, it's that important.
    I cycle, therefore I am.

Life is Go0d!

She doesn't say much...

What does your wife say?-devils-den-lee-creek.jpg
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMarco1
    ...Anyhow, My question is this. What does your wife or significant other say when you want to drop some serious coin on new parts or a new ride? ...
    Last winter when I rolled my new Pugsley in the door she just said "This is never going to end, is it?". Can't say she's wrong. I'll be rolling a new Tallboy in the door tomorrow.

mtbr member
    double post
    Last edited by dirtyjack; 10-06-2010 at 12:09 PM.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo
    Dude, you're wife rocks!!
    Thanks mate I think so too.

TXTony
    I got so lucky when I married my wife(24 years now) last summer I was looking at a new road bike and had settled on the Tarmac Pro..she was with me at the bike shop and and said "if your gonna spend that much money may as well go all out and get the Tarmac SL" rolling the Tarmac Sl and loving the wife.

Village Idiot
    Oct 2007
    Mine complains when I ride and do not work on the house, when I work on the house she complains i dont ride the bikes (despite that she has two in the garage and never rides them).

So I am going to sell all the bikes and build one kick @ss Ibis Mojo HD, if she complains... I'll still have the bike
    **** Looking for a Sram 9.0SL rear hub *****

bringer of doom
    My wife doesn't have much to say about anything, since I refuse to marry her. Or meet her. Or speak to her or make eye contact with her...

If you knew the kind of girls that are into guys like me, you'd consider this a wise move too.
    Ride on, Anthony.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

I'm Truly Blessed . . .

My wife likes the fact that I have an activity that serves as both my meditation and my fitness. She understands that she likes me better when I've been riding. She doesn't begrudge me my after-work rides 2-3 times/ week, my big ride Sat or Sun and one or two weekend trips per year and at least one week-long bike vacation/year. I had a nice Rocky Mountain hardtail and a Yeti 575 (full XTR/X.0) and decided I couldn't pass on a great deal I found on a new Yeti Seven. Have to admit, she wasn't too keen on that, but was understanding and gave me a guilt-free pass to add to my stable.

It is, however, a two way street. I make a comfortable living. I cook occasionally (and I'm a good cook) and take her out regularly. She doesn't pursue any hobbies with the same passion that I ride, but when she does take an interest in something, I support her fully. I do a lot with the kids. Probably most importantly, I thank her regularly for what she does, including letting her know I understand and appreciate the freedom she gives me.

At the same time, I don't have a whole host of potentially relationship damaging hobbies. In addition to Colorado, we've spent a lot of time in Montana, Wyoming, and North Dakota, where everyone owns multiple guns. I own zero. That buys me a lot of good will. In addition to not hunting, I don't fish. I also don't own any motorized toys (motorcycle, jetski, snowmobile, ATV). I don't smoke and (I know this will creep out a lot of folks on this board), my alcohol budget is almost zero (not a morals issue for me, just something it's easier for me to live without).

As important as the money issue is, the time issue is even more important. Of course, work is the primary consumer of my waking hours. After that, I've got the family. The family can be subdivided. We all try to do things together, but there needs to be just wife and I time as well as kids and I time both as a group and individually (I have three, one elementary, one junior high and one high school). Then, there's gotta' be time left over to ride. I often have to forgo rides due to other commitments. Just as my wife doen't lay guilt on me for riding when I do, I don't show discontent at those times when I'm not riding.

None of us have unlimited resources, especially time. Everything in life is a tradeoff: balance is the key. Of course it only works if both parties have a similar sense of balance!
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

She says,

"Can you play hooky from work to go for a ride?"

What does your wife say?-turner-pics-003_small.jpg

balance_fit
    Jul 2010

She says...

"I wish i got more time to ride" That's what SHE says...!!! We've been riding together for 6 of our 20 yrs of marriage.
    I try to be very conservative regarding the money side of the sport, which creates situations for many fellow riders with their spouses. I don't buy our bikes at Costco either. We both have good bikes, only one mtb each, a spare old bike for friends or new riders and her road bike which doubles as a stationary for her.
    I search for the best deals in parts and never buy anything from the current year. MTBR has been a great tool with the reviews of equipment. Her bike and mine are in tip top shape because i'm the mechanic too.
    Bottom line is to maximize the riding time and enjoyment and keep the credit card clean.
    Be well you all,
    jd

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    why get married?

just find someone you hate and buy them a house.

saves time and tears that way.

mtbr member
    I've been with my wife going on 8 years now. She loves to ride, though not the quantity that I do. It's a health activity for her, she enjoys our time in the woods and enjoys spending time together. We balance our hobbies though, we're also into autosports, hiking, and photography, so plenty to do.

I'm a very lucky man

mtbr member
    Here's the trick. If you have stuff to do around the house get it done before you ride or make a point of letting her know when you are doing it and follow through with it. My wife never yells at me about riding as long as my $hit gets taken care of.

@adelorenzo
    My wife and I share our passion for riding and both spend a ton of time on bikes. She's awesome. It doesn't hurt that her bikes are worth a lot more than mine, I never have to justify buying something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    wives..... so american

toscano
    Are you sure this is the right place to wait for the train?
    Last edited by toscano; 01-18-2013 at 12:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm too young to have a wife. I think it comes down to communication with partners though. I'm no expert, but if your wife doesn't understand your hobby, you aren't explaining what it means to you right.

I live with my uncle and he encourages it. He doesn't ride himself (more of a fan of bikes with motors) but he'd much prefer me out on the trail on a bike that cost a lot then on the streets running a muck or doing drugs which, from what I can tell, also cost a lot. It keeps you healthy and is great stress relief. He's the one to gave me the go ahead to look for a FS bike, as well as get involved with a trail clean up/maintenance group

mtbr member
    My wife started getting into riding last year. We did some urban exploring and some trails. She now hopes to slowly start doing a shore to shore ride on LI with me. I am blessed that my wife doesn't mind that I go for a ride.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast