Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Good God man! If I were in your situation, I'd be biking, too!

Quote Originally Posted by MotownDanny View Post
    Um, not married, but I am under the thumb of some female relatives -- ok, an older sister who lives next door to me, and my mother, who now lives with me due to advanced age and health issues (88, congestive heart failure).

Needless to say, at 47, a grown man as I keep telling them, it's my money and my life. Alas, they don't think so, are a little resentful of the time I put in (say roughly 15 to 20 hours a week) as well as the $$$.

I keep telling them they should be happy that I'm not out drinking it up at the bar or picking up call girls and drugs. That shuts them up for a little while, LOL.

Of course, I'm up the three bikes now, and I plan a fourth in the spring. That should go over really well!

Tossin the salad.
    My wife does not care about bikes but respects and understand that I like riding and working on them.

Its all about balance!!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Giant Trance

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My Wife's all about the losing weight thing, (I'm only 20lbs over) but that still wont justify more than $400 initial purchase, so I bought the most frame I could find and the upgrade will come in slowly a bit or two at a time, under the radar.
    Last edited by SeadawgVB; 06-05-2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: spelling

I like bikes
    My wife is a member of a 140 ladies only mtb club that rides twice a week. She loves the sport and I can't imagine it any other way. For those that have significant others that aren't supportive of your riding, run far far away.
    The older I get, the faster I was.....

mtbr member
    I was watching TV at the beginning of last summer when my wife walked into the room and said, "hey, you're due for a new bike!" (She's the financial brains of the outfit and budgets for everything). 3 weeks later, I was the proud owner of a Pivot 5.7 carbon. I suppose I'll keep her!

mtbr member
    Nice. Can you clone her? My wife is very supportive of my biking and less supportive of my bike spending.

Sent from my skz_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I AM the wife, and I say, "Go Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by SeadawgVB View Post
    My Wife's all about the losing weight thing, (I'm only 20lbs over) but that still wont justify more than $400 initial purchase, so I bought the most frame I could find and the upgrade will come in slowly a bit or two at a time, under the radar.
    Do like Mr. June Bug does when he is trying to be surreptitious about bike related purchases and have UPS deliver the upgrades to your office.

mtbr member
    What my husband's wife says: (after he bought her an awesome FS so that she could keep up with him on the technical stuff)

She said: Your 17 year old hard tail makes your body hurt. You should get a FS. They're fun.

He said: No, I'm old school. FS would be too bouncy on the chunky stuff and sap my power on climbs.

She said: You're wrong but let's at least get you a professional fit on your old bike so that you're more comfortable.

He said: Alright, if it makes you happy.

She said: (during the fit) Honey, look at this awesome Stumpjumper with a brain. It's your size.

Fitter said: Let me set it up for you. You can ride it around the block to see if it fits, then take it to the trail for a test ride.

She said: Yeah, honey. Give it a try.

He said: Alright, if it makes you happy.

He said: (after riding around the block) It's fun! I'll take it!

She said: Shouldn't you test it on some chunky stuff to see if it's too bouncy?

He said: No, I rode off the curb and it was fun! I'll take it!

She said: Do you want to ride it up a hill to see if it saps your power?

He said: No, I rode up the curb and it was fun! I'll take it!

She said: Alright, if it makes you happy. (And they both rode happily ever after.)

V-Shaped Rut
    Recent conversation:

Me-"I just got my bonus, I'm gonna buy a bike."

Her-"Another one??"

Me-"The one I have right now is too heavy and I don't jump off stuff much anymore."

Her-"Are you gonna sell the old one, because you've got four bikes in there already."

Her-"And buy a wrangler so you'll stop talking about cars."

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    a few years ago my wife was not really interested by bicycle except for having leisure rides on sunny days.

She respects my passion and really is open-minded about that. She knows, accepts and appreciates I have a passion and do a lot of sport.

One year ago, I offered her a trekking bike and now she likes to have longer road rides with me. She likes it so much that this year she bought an electra beach cruiser to go at work by bicycle. And in September I plan to offer her a Planet X Pro Carbon with a flatbar. She dreams about a pink carbon bicycle under 8 kgs.

I never forced her to ride with me, but she fastly saw that this is a great way to share something, enjoy having outdoor activities and do some sport together.
    Chistole Audax Club - "Unity, Pride and Charcuterie"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixnr View Post
    Nice. Can you clone her? My wife is very supportive of my biking and less supportive of my bike spending.

Sent from my skz_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD
    How come no one ever asks if I can be cloned?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: What does your wife say?

Its not so much the money, or time spent riding, but the time spent tinkering with my bike trying to fix it.

She always tells me to take it into the shop as I don't know what I'm doing and will need to take it in to get fixed after I break it anyway. Sad to say, most of the time she's correct, but sometimes I triumph and my tinkering actually pays off
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

mtbr member
    Mostly my wife says, "Don't touch me".
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Not a damn thing, been divorced now 12 years and the happiest 12 years in a long time.
    My current GF loves to MTB and other things , wink wink

Hi There!
    My wife would have a problem with me spending money on new bikes all the time, but i wouldn't do it anyway...i have 2 decent bikes and i'd rather pay my mortgage early. However, she does not have a problem with me going riding, she's happy i have something i love doing and it's healthy. It's also cool that she's not into mountain biking, we don't have to do everything together.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just bought a Giant Talon 0 2013 model on sale. GF was there watching, with the price of the bike $990 plus, lock, bike tool kit, seat bag, lights, spare tube, pump etc Her response was didn't know you were so flush and do not ever "chat" me about my spending again :-)
    So it is all good ;-)

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12