Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My wife realizes she's at least partly to blame for my bike obsession, and probably regrets it to some degree. But she's happy about it for many reasons.

I hadn't owned a bike of any kind since college, about 15 years before. When our son was 1, my wife bought a bike (an Electra Townie) and a trailer to carry him in. I figured I better buy one too. I bought a Giant Sedona hybrid (and thought at the time that $400 was a lot for a bicycle) so we could ride around the 'hood together. Then I started riding for fitness, shed a lot of weight, tried the local trails, and an obsession was born.

She's never going to mountain bike with me. But she has her own obsession: tennis. Tennis racquets don't cost as much as bikes do, but country club and tennis club memberships aren't cheap (to be fair, I use the CC membership too, for the fitness center, including spin classes, and, on rare occasions, a little tennis myself). Every time I come home with a new jersey, shorts or shoes and she gives me that sideways glance, I can point to the closet full of tennis apparel. Money isn't an issue - we both earn a decent living and contribute equally to household and family expenses.

The only thing she doesn't like about me biking is the possibility of getting hurt (and I did last summer, screwing up my shoulder pretty good). But she likes my improved fitness and that I'm having fun with new friends.

Aside from the original Giant, I have since added two mountain bikes to the quiver and am about to pull the trigger on a friend's used road bike - that's her biggest issue, is that bikes take a lot of room in the garage. Time to get creative with the storage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Um, not married, but I am under the thumb of some female relatives -- ok, an older sister who lives next door to me, and my mother, who now lives with me due to advanced age and health issues (88, congestive heart failure).

Needless to say, at 47, a grown man as I keep telling them, it's my money and my life. Alas, they don't think so, are a little resentful of the time I put in (say roughly 15 to 20 hours a week) as well as the $$$.

I keep telling them they should be happy that I'm not out drinking it up at the bar or picking up call girls and drugs. That shuts them up for a little while, LOL.

Of course, I'm up the three bikes now, and I plan a fourth in the spring. That should go over really well!

mtbr member
    My wife is used to my offroading (Jeep) and diesel truck habits, so my bike hobby pales in comparison. I think she's happy it's nothing bigger.

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by strow View Post
    "Grab your gear and let's load the mtb tandem."

I'm hoping to hear " What about that FS, 29'r, Ventana tandem?"
    She's perfect, a diamond in the rough...
    Simple, not easy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    When I met my wife, she had just ordered a 2001 GT Timberline. The bike sat in our basement for years while we played with motorcycles. I rode the thing more than she did, but a medium framed bike just didn't cut it for someone standing 6'4".

Fast forward to 2011: I snag a Camber Elite 29er and we start riding trails. A pair of Rockhoppers soon followed. Of course, hers was several hundred dollars cheaper than mine because it was an in-stock closeout and my 'hopper was special order.

We're now at 7 bikes. She'll not be getting a snow bike because cold air bothers her but if it's 50 degrees or above she's ready to go. Some of the happiest memories I have revolve around our rides together, especially at night.

It's healthy, fun and a good way to spend time together. What's not to like?

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Again??? View Post

The other thing is, my wife rides too, so I have to budget for two of everything. Two fatbikes, this year.
    We both ride too. And the budget for keeping two bikes in pristine condition can creep up quickly !
    I've been eyeing the fatties too. Maybe i'll rent one on our next mtb trip. Let's see what she says about it ... LOL
    Simple, not easy.

Tigers love pepper...
    Wife: "You're looking at more bike stuff?"

Me: "you sound like my ex-wife"

Wife: "you never told me you were married before!"

Me: "I wasn't!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just upgraded this month. We talked about it a little while, and I finally asked, aren't you upset about me wanting to spend this much money on a bike?

She said, it's replacing a 17 year old bike, so I'm not worried about you getting your money out of it.

Seriously, I thought there would be a finances discussion. Nope.

Trips for Kids Denver
    My wife loves road and mtb. She is not fast and she's very directionally challenged. This used to cause problems until I bought her a Garmin so she can find her way back to the car! As long as we start together and agree on when to get back to the car it's all good.

She has one more bike than I do!
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

I got nothin'
    When I was married, my bike obsession caused issues. Now I have a GF who is into all aspects of cycling. She loves that I ride a lot and she wants to go with. She has the bug and is scheduling trips as I write this :-) Whenever I buy something new she wants to know all about it. She thinks the technology is cool. My girl ROCKS! I think you either have to find someone that is going to be fine with not participating and giving you the space to do what you want or find someone that wants to do it with you.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    My wife doesn't want me to ride. She says that Arizona is too dangerous for mountain biking and that she doesn't want to end up a widow with three young kids.

human dehumidifier
    > What does your wife say?

I'm not sure how to spell it, but it sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher talking.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    One of my wife's friend's husbands is into cars. She (the friend) can't park in their garage because his special cars (M3, track Mustang) are in there.

So, my wife doesn't mind my bikes at all. Sometimes, she even encourages me to get a new one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMarco1 View Post
    wife
    Mistake #1

My wife loves to shop and everytime she goes I am right there with her I am pretty much with my wife 24/7 we even work together. but other than that she really doesn't have many hobbies. She scrapbooks every six months...
    Mistake #2

I have tried and tried to get her out on the trail with me but, she's just not interested.
    Mistake #3

get you ass chewed?
    Mistake #4

I'm not trying to have an Ex-wife.
    Mistake #5

Didn't you learn anything from Tom Leykis?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Mistake #1

Mistake #2

Mistake #3

Mistake #4

Mistake #5

Didn't you learn anything from Tom Leykis?

Man that worked out perfectly in order. I can say while just getting into this i'm glad i'm not married or i'd be hearing a lot of complaining.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I appreciate that my wife does not really ride; I just don't want to have to wait for her and have her tagging along on my rides; that's my time. She has a bike and sometimes we'll just spin around town and bird-watch, her hobby.
    As far as spending on my bikes?
    She never really says anything and has encouraged me to buy a new road bike, says she was worried about me riding with the rag-bike that I had. I usually feel guilty about spending too much money anyhow, comes from being raised by frugal parents, so I don't.
    She jokes that mtber's don't really ride anyhow, we just stand around at the trail-head checking ourselves out in our tights and slapping each others asses!
    Last edited by CGrr; 02-01-2013 at 06:40 AM.

Dharma Initiate
    Quote Originally Posted by CGrr View Post
    I usually feel guilty about spending too much money anyhow, comes from being raised by frugal parents, so I don't.
    I have the same "problem" or "blessing".. either one..
    Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything.

Good, green, Oregon.

I love my wife!

I feel bad for you guys that get harassed for your bike obsessions and riding times, etc. For me, as long I donít go overboard in my spending, or take the entire weekend, every weekend to go ride, I am good to go.

In fact, my ride was in the shop this week for a big winter overhaul. It was gone for about 10 days while my Fox shock was sent in, so I was jonesing without it for sure. I went and picked it up after work the other night, and came home to put in the garage, and there was a typed sign hanging just above where my bike sits:

How cool is that!? My ride gets a welcome home sign from the wifey after being in the shop! Now that is love and support for my passion right there!

Tip: If any of you would like to show this post to your wives as motivation, feel free to do so.
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - Team Dirt - Build It. Ride It.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    My gf saw how much fun I was having riding my bike and how passionate I was at it decided she wanted to get a bike so we could do it together. So I helped her pick out a Specialized Myka (in purple) made sure it was fitted for her.

She rode it around the neighborhood twice and now it collects dust in the garage.
    Ditto. We put a lot of effort into getting her bike (which is a very nice 2013 Trek Marlin). She was so excited about it and made it out to be like she would come with me on every ride she could. She used it twice and sure enough it's a dust collector. I'm still hoping to get her more into it, but if not I guess I'll have a gem of a bike to sell in 10+ years.
    You can find me in the woods -- playing in the dirt and mud -- on my 2013 Trek Mamba -- or in my 1984 Chevrolet K10.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    25 years ago, I was born. No, not my birth from my mother, but born through BMX. Bike riding is my identity - and it's who my wife married. She didn't marry a dude who all-of-a-sudden decided to pick up bike riding... I've always been a rider (with just some stupid long breaks in-between). She knows it what defines me, and understands how it's an integral part of my life. To me, riding is like breathing. So... my wife doesn't mind when I spend money on bike stuff. I make most of the money in the home and pay all the house bills.

We also have separate checking accounts, so she manages her money and I manage my money. She takes care of her bills and groceries, and I do the rest.

The only time she uses riding "against" me is if we're in an argument, and she uses some sort of passive-aggressive statement to make herself sound like a victim in a situation. Like, if I'm complaining about my work (I work on commission) and tell her to stop nagging me since I pay all the house bills. She comes up with something to the effect of, "Well, I'M JUST GOING TO HAVE TO GET 2 OR 3 MORE JOBS SO YOU CAN GO RIDE YOUR BIKE WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND I WILL JUST BE A SLAVE TO WORK! NOW YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO WORK SO MUCH!"

When typed out, that response sounds awesome, but it's from a passive aggressive standpoint and it's annoying as hell.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    It's cold and wet here now, and my wife said: "I can't wait until spring so we can ride bikes together". That totally made my day. She isn't into it much, but she wants to be since I ride so much. I hope this year she really gets into it.

I'm your density
    She doesn't have to say anything. The silence is deafening.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    ó Ty Webb

'Tis but a scratch
    I really can't hear what she says when she is at home and I am in the woods.

Truly, she is mostly supportive as she knows it is a passion of mine. She's not into riding. I've tried. We hike together. Sometimes she throws it in my face during some argument or another. We've been married 23 years. We fight sometimes. It passes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    My girlfriend tells me to go out with the guys, but we haven't been dating long. She tells me that she can just pick up some more hours at work while I'm out. I've had people in the past get upset that I would be away riding my bikes or playing basketball. That didn't work out well.
    Sounds like she got a backdoor friend....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles View Post
    My wife is a major *****, she pisses me off about riding all the time. I am a mechanic and she knew that. I swear, she is lazy and pissed my off. I don't think we need no stinking wifes. F them, they take our money and try to tell us what to do, wtf
    Ummm, counseling perhaps...?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast