Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

What do you and your buddy/buddies talk about when you're out biking?

a. Bikes and bike related stuff
    b. Work and work related stuff
    c. Family and other domestic issues
    d. Current events and/or politics
    e. Other hobbies

mtbr member
    f. nothing. if I wanted to chit chat i'd stay home and sit on the couch with my wife...besides I am trying to go faster/bigger/harder than them. No need to waste precious breath.

Kidding. Depends on the buddy. Usually a mixture of A, C, and E.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    My wife and I usually ride with another couple. Us guys talk about hot chicks and the girls talk about life insurance and chippers.

Professional Crastinator
    It's always about the ride.
    ...or the gear. The folks I ride with are pretty much consumed by the ride and the terrain and the scenery. That is what we are there for.

Off topic chit-chat will not be tolerated. Save it for campfire time.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

b a n n e d
    Since we typically ride in Cougar-country, we are on constant alert for any potential run-ins . . . . highly aroused and focused. No talking unless there's been a sighting, at which point we stop to ensure the accuracy of our perceptions.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Since we typically ride in Cougar-country, we are on constant alert for any potential run-ins . . . . highly aroused and focused. No talking unless there's been a sighting, at which point we stop to ensure the accuracy of our perceptions.

mtbr member
    Dudes. We talk about dudes(well, when I ride with the girls). When with the dudes, we talk about bikes, chicks, kids, bikes, cars, & other sports.

Serenity now!
    When I'm on a co-ed ride (often me and several dudes, maybe one other woman), we talk about bikes, biking, repairing bikes, trails, future trail riding plans, and maybe trail conditions. Sometimes we talk about the the weather.

When I'm riding with my grrl gang, we talk about lip gloss, menstrual cramps, vajayjays, and menz. Sometimes about kids or jobs, but not as much.
    Duchess of Dab

Bikes/Beers/BustinAss
    Dec 2012
    "gasp, gasp, wheeze, wheeze, YEEEEEHHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
    I ride because exercising sucks, it's a lot of fun, and it makes beer taste oh so much better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The reason I asked is because one of my regular bike buddies seem to be talking a lot about his work lately. I don't mean he's ranting about problems and personalities in his work (I don't work with him or in his company) but he seems to be fishing for compliments for his achievements at work that I've already read (and "Liked") on his daily FB update. I should bring a medal or trophy with me in the shape of an FB "Like" button next time so I can hand it to him.

Seriously, none of my other bike buddies talk about their work like he does.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
    None of my other bike buddies talk about their work like he does.
    Maybe none of his other buddies (or anyone else in his life) listens like you do?

(I mean that as a compliment.)
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    He usually brings it up when I get to talking about my bike adventures with some of my other bike buddies. But somehow I suspect it usually gets triggered when I talk about some Strava segments we pass through. When were nearing a Strava segment, I usually take off like a bat out of hell and leave him behind and wait for him past the segment. I already told him the concept and gave him a link to the site but he still doesn't get it. I think he thinks I'm showing off or something.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm usually out of breath and couldn't talk
    if I wanted.

ENDO!!!
    Anything and everything. Pretty much whatever is on our minds when we ride.
    Just circles turning circles....

Serenity now!
    I suspect it usually gets triggered when I talk about some Strava segments we pass through. When were nearing a Strava segment, I usually take off like a bat out of hell and leave him behind and wait for him past the segment.
    Uh, is this where I tell you how freakin' fast you are and hand you a trophy? jk
    Duchess of Dab

High Desert MTBer
    He usually brings it up when I get to talking about my bike adventures with some of my other bike buddies. But somehow I suspect it usually gets triggered when I talk about some Strava segments we pass through. When were nearing a Strava segment, I usually take off like a bat out of hell and leave him behind and wait for him past the segment. I already told him the concept and gave him a link to the site but he still doesn't get it. I think he thinks I'm showing off or something.
    Proof that Strava rots the brain... Seriously, when does anyone get a chance to chit chat on a RIDE? The brief times you stop to wait on a companion, or have a drink or snack, or to catch your breath, you chat about very little... if anything for me it is about what is around and going on at that time. I like to immerse in the moment. The thought of discussing other stuff out there is about as alien to me as listening to music on the trails, but that's another thread
    It's all Here. Now.

"Talking" is part of the psychological warfare conducted on trail. Rather than just passing your friends on a climb, you pull along side of them... comment on the weather, local sports team, the trail. When they collect them selves and their breath enough to respond they will let off the pace ever so slightly. That is the moment when you stand up and sprint away.

This is only effective for a few rides, your friends will compare notes and eventually figure out what you are doing. At that point talking goes back to a rest point or back at the car thing.

I jest (sort of) there is always a lot of "OMG that section was so fun! WEEEEEEEE!!!" passed back and forth. On long fire road climbs we talk.. but most of the ride yelling back over my shoulder or trying to hear what the guy in front of you is yelling over his shoulder is kinda silly.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Proof that Strava rots the brain... Seriously, when does anyone get a chance to chit chat on a RIDE? The brief times you stop to wait on a companion, or have a drink or snack, or to catch your breath, you chat about very little... if anything for me it is about what is around and going on at that time. I like to immerse in the moment. The thought of discussing other stuff out there is about as alien to me as listening to music on the trails, but that's another thread
    You're right. I deprived my friend the precious 75 seconds to go through that Strava segment. So I rightly deserved the 30 minutes listening to the improvements he made in customer satisfaction ratings and reduced downtimes in his workplace.

mtbr member
    Pffft... who rides with other people? All they do is talk about Strava, problems at work, wife/girl issues or politics!

Lord Thunderbottom
    a little anti-passion here, I hate people like that, a job is a job, it's what we do to provide for our families and buy more bike parts, sometimes we even enjoy it

I have a decent number of achievements, promotions, raises etc too but I'm not harping on it constantly, no one wants to hear about it after a while

Inspector Gadget

What do you and your buddy/buddies talk about when you're out biking?

No talk about work on a ride... Unless you like right hooks up your pie hole. My rides are getting kinda lonely.... Lol

Seriously though I don't really want to know more than what someone does for work. This is supposed to be fun and our escape... Don't bring the stuff to the ride we are all trying to escape.
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

Give it a crank
    z. bikes, components, trails, apparel, costs, gps, maintenance, scars, health, food, and the next ride.

Just Ride
    Talk about women and biking related stuff. Pretty much about it. What else is there?
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

In dog years, I'm dead.
    We talk about the trail we're going to ride, the trail that needs maintenance, the trail we just built, the trail we're going to build, or naming a trail in honor of a buddy who broke bones there recently.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yoga pants.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast