Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What do you think is the truly appropriate number of bikes to own?

15K views 156 replies 115 participants last post by  ghost_03 
#1 ·
Forget how many you want or how many you own. From a purely logical and reasonable standpoint, given how much you ride and how many different types of riding you do - how many do you think you should own?

I say three. One for on-road use that's practical for picking up groceries and getting places, one for off road use - getting to more remote places, enjoying the outdoors in general etc, and one for exactly the type of riding you like best - whatever that is - and this third one would be the less compromise, all-you-can-afford 'dream bike'.

In reality, I have four and would like to be at six. Here are three of them, the fourth lives in the parkade (bar bike).

See less See more
#91 ·
No matter how practical, diminishing returns takes over at four and your fifth bike could be somebody who's less fortunate only method of transportation or their first enthusiast's bike!

1- Tri bike (if you race tri's, otherwise a cross bike)
2- Pretty nice but not too sick roadie
3- Best damn full-sus trail bike you can afford
4- Hardtail how you like it.... SS, geared, full rigid... Whatever.

I'm in the process of giving bikes away to get down to four. My next giveaway is a tricked out Spesh Sirrus and after that it is going to be really, really tough to let go of a primo 1998 all-OEM Celeste green Bianchi.

#96 ·
... as many as your budget allows, as many as available storage space allows, as many as the significant other allows.

:)

I'm rolling on 4 at the moment, but would like to add some more. I just sold my house, and am living in a temporary apartment until we buy the next house. Space is super limited.

So, I have my FS 29er in the apartment (two feet up the wall above my head, right now), and I'm keeping the rest at work for now.

I have:

29er RacerX29er FS bike
Access 29er hardtail geared bike
Singular Swift 29er SS bike
PlanetX Kaffenback cyclocross/touring/road bike

I would like to add a City Bike back to the mix. I had a Giant Yukon old mountain bike, but ran a rigid fork, racks, and pannier bags for groceries. That was a killer setup. I want to do that again.

I was even thinking cargo longtail bike, maybe with an electric assist. Thinking, to run local errands in a timely fashion, but leave the car at home.

#97 ·
It all depends on the type of riding you do. Or how seriously/competitively you ride.

I have my roadie (2010 Schwinn LeTour Classic) for Century Rides etc...and general road riding. Then I have my around town/commuter Bike (Giant Sedona) for commuting, grocery getting(with trailer attached) and leisurely riding. Then there is my All mountain/trail bike (Giant Rincon) for, well you know what for...

I am adding another mountain bike and it will be different from my hardtail in either wheel size or full suspension/wheel size. I will use both depending on where I ride.

A guy could have several bikes with proper justification for each...:thumbsup:

#105 ·
The right number is the number of bikes that will regularly get used.

I'm doing fine with my 3 bikes: 6" Spesh Enduro AM bike, Jamis (aluminum) road bike, old Jamis 4" full sus.

The Enduro gets 100% of my mtb riding, the Jamis is good for commuting and the occasional road ride, and the older mountain bike is my loaner backup.

I wouldn't mind a DH bike, a light and efficient 29'er, and a nice carbon road bike. But in reality, I'm not out-riding my Enduro the few times each year I hit the ski lifts, and I do an XC type ride only every so often. or do an XC type ride where I might benefit somewhat from a different bike. Same w/ a carbon road bike -- other than commuting, I ride between a few hundred to maybe 1300 "recreation" miles on the road, not really enough to justify a nice road bike.

I really have no interest in riding a SS, a hard tail or something like that. Just not for me. Living in the suburbs as I do, there is little reason for a cruiser or shopping bike -- I have two cars that work just fine! I ride either my old mtb or my road bike when out with the kids -- the trailer attaches to either one just fine.

#122 ·
Theoretical question...if you could only have ONE bike for purposes ranging from light XC to trail and some AM, what would it be? 26" steel HT? 29 FS?

#123 ·
I traded 2 road bikes for a 29er, so now
I'm down to 8 bikes. Almost the perfect
number. However I'm in love with the 29er,
so I may need to get another one, and that
would put me back at 9 bikes, I think 9
bikes may be the right number.
Also there isn't a damn thing wrong
with storing bikes upside down. I have
done it longer than I care to remember
and never had a problem.

G
#130 ·
In my opinion the appropriate number is 3 or more.
- a road bike or a cx bike
-off road you need a mtb, ht or full
-in towns, cities you need a bike for that
about the "more" it depends on specific needs like a long trip, you like bike parks etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.