Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What do you think is the truly appropriate number of bikes to own?

15K views 156 replies 115 participants last post by  ghost_03 
#1 ·
Forget how many you want or how many you own. From a purely logical and reasonable standpoint, given how much you ride and how many different types of riding you do - how many do you think you should own?

I say three. One for on-road use that's practical for picking up groceries and getting places, one for off road use - getting to more remote places, enjoying the outdoors in general etc, and one for exactly the type of riding you like best - whatever that is - and this third one would be the less compromise, all-you-can-afford 'dream bike'.

In reality, I have four and would like to be at six. Here are three of them, the fourth lives in the parkade (bar bike).

See less See more
#60 ·
In an ideal world I'd have:

29" hardtail for xc racing
Fatbike for the winter
Cross bike for dirt road rides, cross races, and rides where I want to combine some road and singletrack
Race road bike
Fixie commuter

So I guess five bikes would completely suit just about all of my needs. A DH bike would be fun and all, but I don't exactly live near anywhere with the elevation required for that.

#62 ·
Currently three about to buy my fourth. What's enough? How many can I store?

1. 29HT for XC
2. 26" FS for all mountain
3. 26" FS long travel suspension for all mountain because one just isn't enough.
4. Road bike
5. Downhill bike
6. Touring bike
7. Give me a bit, I'll come up with a reason for seven
8. ...

#68 ·
I woulds say 3, because I have 3 and I dont think the missus would let me have another.

1 - for riding to/from work
1 - for weekend rides/competing
1 - for when I want to go out for a thrash and dont want to worry about possibly breaking something expensive (which is my ex XC bike)

IF I did get to own another bike, it would most likely be a SS which I could use during the week for 'training'. Now I just need to convince the minister of finance/war that this would be a good thing.

#69 ·
I'm in college and very happy to be able to have 1 cheap roadie and 1 nice (for my budget) hardtail MTB

in the far future I wouldn't mind having a full suspension, but any more than that I feel would just be pure hedonism

#72 ·
Absolutely everyone, meaning people that aren't that into biking, should have at least 2.

People like us should have at least 3.

I've come down to 3 and am happy. I'm not allowing myself to have anymore at this point because I'm too busy and too mobile in life right now.

#73 · (Edited)
Like I said then theres the wackjob obssesive I like to build em as much as I like to ride em types

Chinese full carbon rigid 26er
10' trek 2.1
09 GF Superfly HT 29er
08 Jamis XCR Team FS 26er
08 Origin 8 Rigid SS 29er
05 Ellsworth Joker FS 26er
05 Trek 4500 Rigid 26er
98 Kona Hei Hei ti HT 26er
96 Klein Attitude Team HT 26er
93 Paramount series R80 rigid 26er
93 Diamondback Axis Rigid SS 26er
93 Fat Buck Shaver HT SS 26er
93 Yo Eddy HT 26er
91 Diamondback Axis Rigid 26er
90 Ritchey P-23 Rigid 26er
89 Klien Pinnacle Rigid 26er
89 Fisher CR-7 Rigid 26er
87 Fat Chance Rigid 26er
85 Ritchey Team Comp Rigid 26er

#75 ·
Where do you live? What seasons do you have? Who lives with you? Do you need a spare for buddies or people you want to introduce to the sport? Do you collect bikes? Do you own a bike shop? Are you growing? Are you a sponsored racer? ....

As for me, I am at n+3 or 4.

The misses is wanting a squishy. I'm wanting a fat bike for winter. My oldest may need a real mtb next year. As for my n, this is it save one bike in the basement on the trainer.

View attachment 735838

#76 ·
I ride FS, fatty, single speed commuter but I always find as the weather worsens and the days grow shorter; I spend less time on my bikes in the evening and more time dreaming up reasons why I need new ones......

When I am riding 80 miles of single track a week I am happier with what I have and I forget that "It's all about the bike"

#77 ·
For me: One. For each discipline:thumbsup:

Of course completely relative however: Available space for storage, available money for purchasing and maintenance, available time to ride...

I used to have one bike for everything and I was happier than a pig in mud. Now there are five and I am happier than a pig in mud.:D

#81 ·
For me: One. For each discipline:thumbsup:
Yeah me too, but man is that a slippery slope. Non-cyclists REALLY don't understand this, and even casual cyclists don't understand this, but you can continue to split disciplines into smaller and smaller sub-disciplines indefinitely.

For some, a touring bike and a cyclocross bike are pretty much the same. For others, a cyclocross bike and a gravel bike are completely different. From there you can divide down into long- and short-distance gravel rigs. And so on.

Everyone who has a hobby they are really into should understand though, cyclist or not. I really like beer. And to many, a stout is a stout. But to a beer lover, there is oatmeal stout, chocolate stout, coffee stout, milk stout, etc etc. Same with pretty much everything.

#78 ·
I currently only own 3: a hardtail 29er that doubles as a commuter, a road bike, and a time trial bike. I believe I should own two more: a cross bike and a single speed commuter, but since my wife owns 4 bikes (same types as me plus a single speed commuter), I'm kinda limited to these for now. Maybe next year I can get one of those sweet single speed cross bikes with disk brakes that Raleigh makes...

#82 ·
If I had larger bank account I would keep my Santa Cruz Butcher for light FR/general trail riding, I would add a slack, steel 29er hard tail for XC riding and I'd have a 7 inch, slacked out, single crown DH bike, like a Transition TR250

#84 ·
Road - Race/Nice
Road - Beater/Commuter/Bar Bike
Fixed Gear
Cargo Bike
Hardtail Mtn
FS 26"
FS 29"
FS 650b

I'm missing the last 2.............so 6 is pretty good.............wouldn't mind a DJ type bike too............and I really want a Pennyfarthing for fun.............and a real nice touring bike..........So I'm thinking 10..............wait, this thread sucks, I thought I was happy with what I had............

#85 ·
Oh, and I do ride them all every week too...........I bike commute and ride different bikes every day...........then try and ride on the weekend, but until the babies are grown, that is a little less right now...........

my wife has
Road/Race
Road Commuter
Fixed Gear
Old school Scwhinn Step thru towing a double trailer for the kids

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.