Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    Jkj
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    3 will be good. One good xc for training; one monster downhill and one sick freeride for fun and street!

mtbr member
    One.

Probably a HT 29er. I can't think of any task a decent mountain bike can't do. Mountain bikes work on the road too. Even full suspension ones.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I want 3 bikes

- 4"- 5" full suspension 29er that climbs well
    - Cyclocross bike
    - Triathlon bike

High Desert MTBer
    So many different possibilities! So many differing answers. This all just proves that we are a diverse species. The answers depend on all manner of things, and any number of combinations of factors:
    What we can afford; what we can justify to ourselves/others; what we can fit in our living space; what we find desirable and/or necessary; whether we are just plain greedy and acquisitive, or actually NEED these bikes; what trails we like to ride; what style of riding we prefer; whether we ride all year, and what the weather is like where we live; Whether the trail conditions differ thru the year; whether we enjoy tinkering with machinery or not; the list is extensive and this does not scratch the surface of all possibilities!
    For ME, however, I do not ride on the road, I live near mountain trails of the kind I love to ride: rocky and technical where the attrition factor is high. SO, my ideal is to have 2 full suspension bikes, so if one is broken temporarily, as happens all too often here, I can pull the other off the rack and still ride. All good!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The way I see it, everybody needs at least 1 Trail-ish MTB, as MTBs can go on the road but not vice versa. I think everything else should be added on a la carte depending on your riding styles. Sometimes I see people who have only one bike and it's a 40lb DH monster that they're struggling to pedal on XC trails. Nothing against those bikes--they're freaking awesome--but it's a bad starting place for someone with only one bike that isn't usually riding lift assisted. Now, some of these in my list are not mutually exclusive, e.g., a winter bike might also be a commuter bike (as is the case for myself).

Starting Point
    Casual Rider -- 1x
    1x Trail MTB -- As we all know, the Trail MTB is perhaps the most versatile human powered vehicle ever created .

Add-Ons
    Racers -- Up To +5x
    (All that Apply)
    1x HT or FS XC 29er
    1x CX
    1x Road Race
    1x Tri
    1x DH

MTB Enthusiast -- Up To +2x
    1x FS All-Mtn bike that can do it all. Quiver killer if you don't have a trial or XC bike already, otherwise more towards light freeride.
    1x CX Bike for Training/Road/Gravel/Trail/Etc.

Commuters-- +1x
    1x Commuter--Can be geared or fixie, flat or drop, whatever, so long as it's not a theft magnet.

Roadie Enthusiast -- Up To +2x
    1x Fast Road Bike. Alu/Ti/Carbon, racing-ish geo. Good for group rides.
    1x Winter Bike. Probably not necessary in, e.g., southwest. We get a LOT of salt around here.

Extreme Riders -- Up To +2x
    1x Freeride/DH Rig
    1x Dirt Jumper/4x/DS/BMX

Now, that's a total of 13 bikes. That said, you can hit most of these categories with 3 or 4, I think you can hit them all with 5 or 6. There's definitely categories I've left out (touring, tandem, utes, track, etc,) but I'm OK with that as I'm trying to fill (or design) a quiver and not list all of the categories that exist. Moreover, there is certainly an upper bound based on space, budget, S/O approval, etc.
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_03 View Post
    Starting Point
    Casual Rider -- 1x
    1x Trail MTB -- As we all know, the Trail MTB is perhaps the most versatile human powered vehicle ever created .

Add-Ons
    Racers -- Up To +5x
    (All that Apply)
    1x HT or FS XC 29er
    1x CX
    1x Road Race
    1x Tri
    1x DH

MTB Enthusiast -- Up To +2x
    1x FS All-Mtn bike that can do it all. Quiver killer if you don't have a trial or XC bike already, otherwise more towards light freeride.
    1x CX Bike for Training/Road/Gravel/Trail/Etc.

Commuters-- +1x
    1x Commuter--Can be geared or fixie, flat or drop, whatever, so long as it's not a theft magnet.

Roadie Enthusiast -- Up To +2x
    1x Fast Road Bike. Alu/Ti/Carbon, racing-ish geo. Good for group rides.
    1x Winter Bike. Probably not necessary in, e.g., southwest. We get a LOT of salt around here.

Extreme Riders -- Up To +2x
    1x Freeride/DH Rig
    1x Dirt Jumper/4x/DS/BMX
    Thanks for the awesome and detailed answer! I see we have a lot of common (OCD-bordering) traits when it comes to making lists and analyzing a scenario like this. Also I see that we have similar personal quivers in terms of what ground each bike covers (no pun intended), mine's just a little heavier duty all around due no doubt to the fact I live in BC.

I think the MTB enthusiast category could be expanded a little (ie. a hardtail is good to have in the quiver if possible) but all in all I agree with your list.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    Thanks for the awesome and detailed answer! I see we have a lot of common (OCD-bordering) traits when it comes to making lists and analyzing a scenario like this. Also I see that we have similar personal quivers in terms of what ground each bike covers (no pun intended), mine's just a little heavier duty all around due no doubt to the fact I live in BC.

I think the MTB enthusiast category could be expanded a little (ie. a hardtail is good to have in the quiver if possible) but all in all I agree with your list.
    Yes, a HT is a good addition! I didn't think of that. I suppose it could even optionally be a rigid for those with tough wrists.
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7