Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Mountain Bike Life

What do you think of?

What comes to your head when you think of The Mountain Bike Life?

toscano
    This is not an easy question, or at least it is not easy to answer.
    Personally I associate mtb freedom and opportunity to visit wild places faster than walking.
    I am not so interested in the technical aspects of the bike, I think the bike should be simple and should never have technical problems.

mtbr member
    For me, it's the cycling life. As toscano mentioned, this is a very hard question to answer but some words that pop into my mind are: Adventure, exploration, self expression through the bicycle, pain, sweat, a great sense of accomplishment (particularly when racing), many weekends away, cycling trips with friends and finally working hard to achieve personal goals. Oh, and beer.

Rogue Exterminator
    1 word

BEER!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Something I wish I could do but food's bad power over me and a weak will power in that area impedes me from it. Instead I am Very selective on the events I do around here of which I'd like to be able to do many.

the half breed devil
    doing things and going places many people just don't do.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    What comes to your head when you think of The Mountain Bike Life?
    I sometimes wonder, ďWhy did I decide to have kids when clearly I am only enjoying life when riding the trails?Ē
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Playing with the trail and gravity. I always got the rush in winter on skis. On a bike it's just as much fun and I can bring the dogs, camp and more friends involved. Some of the special tech trails are as much fun as a powder day. Downieville, Gooseberry, Little Creek, 50 Year Trail, Gold Canyon K-Trail, Sand Canyon, McKenzie River, Clarkfork River Trail, Penatente, the list of great trails is long and FUN!
    agmtb

Currently in Exile
    I would expand that to simply "bike" life. It is simply building your free time around the act of riding a bike. Riding for the simple joy of riding. Bonus points if you can incorporate bikes into your obligations such as work. Triple points if you can include your kids, wife, parents, or other significant folks in your life.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Inspector Gadget
    See that mountain? Climb that mountain. People who don't take risks might live longer, but they don't climb as many mountains.
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    Cogs, coffee and kegs

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    perfect, I was looking for a thread I might dump this in

I like to mountain bike, and I really mean that. Thereís something about it, something that lets me feel perfect long enough to dissolve all the other pieces of life that make me unhappy. When I set out, I try to leave my troubles at the trailhead. Not every ride is perfect; I get cut up and have found myself feeling stranded, unable to get up, on scorching hot days with a concussion. But you know, itís for the moments where I can remember myself snarling, grinning, full of focus, looking down the trail feeling like everything in my life is worth just the next few seconds of my tires keeping traction that I spend countless hours fretting about how Iím going to fix up my ride-make it better, to feel better. Itís become an external representation-a clear reflection of my own mental health. Cheers.

boxcar
    Friends and nature, adrenaline and excitement: never a dull moment. The mountain biking life is full of great memories and the charge of looking forward to the next ride. While riding, all is well in my world

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A break from the grind of work/family/chores when it's all about me. A break from the everyday routine to see/experience new places. Adventure. Freedom.

The Mountain Bike Life
    Awesome posts so far everyone, thank you.

For me it is a life of fun, adventure and great people. Riding my bike is an outlet that I can not find anywhere else, when I am on my bike the worries of the world just float away, all that exists is me, my bike and a thin piece of brown in front of me....it is an amazing feeling and one that lately I do not get to feel enough.

mtbr member
    One thing only.

I'm stupid.

drink coffee, ride.
    The Ride, lifestyle. Well, this is from 2011, but still runs true. Bikes, Laughs, Friends, Pizza, Beer, Coffee, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Pine Scented Sunshine, Dew covered Grass, Granite under Tires, Attempts Made, Attempts not Made, Smiles, Grimaces, Stories of "remember when...", Stories not yet made....

https://vimeo.com/34390854

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    A mental break from regular life. I'm so concentrated on what Im doing there isn't 1 second my mind is on something other than riding. Pain. Will power. Physical exertion. Mentally detaching yourself from what your body is feeling.

Weekend warrior aspirant
    Feb 2012
    The quiet. I just love being out there 50 miles from anyone, 10-12 miles out on a singletrack trail, and surrounded by nothing but quiet.

Which also explains why I think people who ride with those portable backpack speakers deserve a special place in hell.
    Mountain bike with 15k miles, Road bike with 10k miles, breaking in my 29er by riding the entire AZ Trail

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Freedom, peace and the love of nature!!!!

Tossin the salad.
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post
    The Ride, lifestyle. Well, this is from 2011, but still runs true. Bikes, Laughs, Friends, Pizza, Beer, Coffee, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Pine Scented Sunshine, Dew covered Grass, Granite under Tires, Attempts Made, Attempts not Made, Smiles, Grimaces, Stories of "remember when...", Stories not yet made....

https://vimeo.com/34390854

That's what I am taling about!! Thanks for sharing!!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Giant Trance

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Is something that I often take for granted, but then think about and appreciate. I realize how long I've been living it and how many times it has morphed over the years. Enjoy.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Professional Crastinator
    Your question actually made me think...

It means going anywhere a person would normally walk, but faster.

This was my goal when I started MTBing and prob'ly why I can't do gap jumps - 'cause you can't walk gap jumps. I really feel there is a psychological roadblock there.

The fun and thrill and freedom and the mental decompression are all incidental - not the goal. The goal always seems to be "getting to that place" - an actual physical place. It might be difficult, it might be fun, it will likely be both, but the goal is to get there, hopefully without taking a foot off the pedals. And that doesn't mean I have to be in a hurry, and "That place" doesn't have to be 40 miles away either. "That place" might be the top of the next hill, or up on that wall, or the other end of this log.
    Everything is done in pursuit of that goal from what food I eat, to what shoes I buy, to how much air is in my tires, to what moves I practice, and maybe even to with whom I choose to ride.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Fresh air, peace, skinned knees, clipless fails, refreshing water crossings, mashing an uphill, bonking, and doing it all over again.

I build my own.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast