mtbr member
    Nov 2010

What do you do with your old tires?

I am just wondering on what people do with there old tires. Do you trash them, recycle, etc? When do you know your tires are completely shot and. Need replaced? Just curious to see what you guys say.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I usually give them away as I tend to change tires before they are completely worn. If I tear a sidewall or something I just throw them way. Can you recycle tires? And if so do you have to go to a special place like car tires?

mtbr member
    I gift them to other riders while there is still a bit of life left in the tread.

Seems to always be someone who can get a bit of riding out of them if I cut them loose a few weeks early.

Good tires are now freakin' expensive and I like to hook a fellow rider up who's scraping by or can't afford new treads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I put them on my wife's bike which she rides on bike paths and occasional dirt. She does want to get serious about riding more dirt so I recently took my old Velociraptors off her bike and put a stockpiled Smoke/Dart combo I got for $20 on and she loves 'em!

The Raptors last a long time while remaining effective so I rarely change them. The last pair was down to little nubs so I did throw them out and put new ones on for the summer/fall riding. I still have 3 more pair squirrelled away. You can still get them for about $20 each!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    As a racer, I change my tires alot. Just have so many semi worn tires. For my 26 in bikes, i take the tires off my trail bike and put them
    On an old beater i ride around the house and to work.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    keep riding them.............
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it - it'll be broke soon enough !" - ILOJ

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    I gift them to other riders while there is still a bit of life left in the tread.

Seems to always be someone who can get a bit of riding out of them if I cut them loose a few weeks early.

Good tires are now freakin' expensive and I like to hook a fellow rider up who's scraping by or can't afford new treads.
    Ditto, I've hooked JeffJ, mtroy and others up with tires that still had plenty of tread left on them. FoShizzle once hooked me up, too. Good Karma.

meow meow
    do skids in the road to impress the neighborhood kids.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brent878 View Post
    I usually give them away as I tend to change tires before they are completely worn. If I tear a sidewall or something I just throw them way. Can you recycle tires? And if so do you have to go to a special place like car tires?
    A bike shop where I used to live would take tubes and tires for recycling for free. My guess is it all went to the same place as car tires (?)

High Desert MTBer
    I tried to give a set of tires away on my local MTB website. I posted them up and offered them for nothing, but nobody wanted them! Maxxis Rendez with plenty of life left, I just did not like them as they came on the bike I bought. I guess people have too much money here... When I have worn out my other tires completely I will toss them into the recycling.

Retired User
    I usually ride a tire until I blow out a sidewall, regardless of how shot the treads are. Then I throw it in the garbage.

mtbr member
    Wrap the bodies in them. It keeps animals from digging them up. Keep it on the D/L though.

Seriously though, don't just throw them in the trash. You can take them to tire recycling and drop them off. Make a down tube protector with one maybe but that's more of a one time deal.

Category 5 Gnarricane
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad Rider 415 View Post
    I am just wondering on what people do with there old tires. Do you trash them, recycle, etc? When do you know your tires are completely shot and. Need replaced? Just curious to see what you guys say.
    make lasagna out of them

9 lives
    Lots of good ideas in here about substitutes for TP

Diarhea, Cha, Cha, Cha...

CEO Product Failure
    impromptu chain stay protector

Dude...
    I hang all mine up in the garage as if I'm might use them again, but I never do.

I just wanna ride my bike
    We have given away tires still useful to friends or ridden them till totally worn out and looked for places to recycle them.

In June 2011, a new bike tire recycling program was set up in BC: http://www.tsbc.ca/bike.php. Will be interesting to see how many bike shops voluntarily join this program.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ebry74 View Post
    I hang all mine up in the garage as if I'm might use them again, but I never do.
    you too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad Rider 415 View Post
    I usually just give them to you. I bet a good chunk of your tire collection came from me
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Cableb!tch: living, breathing proof you can be right and.still be a dick.

Tool
    I hang them in the back yard, light them on fire, and make my poodle jump thru them.
    Last edited by Pedalphile; 07-22-2011 at 12:13 PM.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    do skids in the road to impress the neighborhood kids.
    Classic!