Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

What do you do to keep the Passion?

I started my MTB obsession in February. I've been hitting my local trails in south OC regularly since then (3-5 rides per week) and I'm just getting to the point where I've mapped out and ridden everything nearby. So every ride now feels repetitive. It's still a ton of fun of course. But how do you all keep your repetitive rides interesting?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I take a break and do trail work when it rains. Given where I live - that's quite a lot of trailwork
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I keep riding because that is the definition of truly being obsessed.

Seriously though, I get in a rut of riding the same trails in the same directions...so now im trying to ride all trails in new (to me) directions.

mtbr member
    Slow it down and walk the trails you normally ride. Sometimes it helps you envision new lines.

And, if all else fails, ride a single speed! I grantee you that 'easy' climb won't be so easy any more.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    If I don't feel like riding, I don't ride. When I used to run I forced myself to run even if I didn't want to. This was an unhealthy obsession, not a passion. I was afraid not to run if that makes sense.

With mountain biking I just don't worry about it. Even if I get to the trail and just am not into it I put the bike back into the drop ship and head home.

I end up riding at least five times a week and would ride more except I work nights and am sometimes am too tired.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've also found that getting friends and family into it really ignites the passion. It's like going back to Disneyland with young children. You can re-live some of the joy vicariously.

Inspector Gadget
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1983 View Post
    But how do you all keep your repetitive rides interesting?
    Ride Trails the other direction.
    Pop-a-Weeeleee
    mix up the order
    Pop-a-Weeeleee
    mix up the order in a way that makes no sense at all
    Pop-a-Weeeleee
    Invite a friend
    Pop-a-Weeeleee
    Pick an obstacle or trail you have trouble clearing and practice
    Pop-a-Weeeleee
    Try to beat your personal best on a particular trail
    Pop-a-Weeeleee

When you get bored with that... upshift and Pop-a-Weeeleee!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    buy a new bike

mtbr member
    Every day above ground is a day of passion!

Just Ride
    Ride the reverse direction at night. I've never done a night ride, but I hear it's a whole new experience.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    I've been mountain biking somewhat consistently now for about 17 years. About 4 years ago I started rock climbing. I mostly climb at the gym 2-3 days a week, but I get outside from time to time. About a year and half ago I started scuba diving. This has taken over a lot of my time. I'm going for my Dive Master certification this summer. I'm stoked to have new passions, but I'm going to miss out on a lot of good riding.

I guess I keep my passion for riding by having other things to do. I do so many other things that take up riding time that when I do ride I'm grateful for the opportunity.
    I like to ride bikes.

Gotta pay to play
    Ride Single Speed

pin it
    I love being outdoors. I ride year round so riding is altered by the terrain, temperatures and weather. I am open to learn (and still learning) to ride different styles (trail, DH, FR/DJ and road) so I'm always riding and exploring a diverse variety of trails. I'm involved in trail building and trail advocacy
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Ride single speed rigid.

SPP
    Rigid.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    since you know the trails, call group rides and gently lead noobies around. it's really rewarding helping others discover and/or grow their skills and knowledge Plus you sometimes meet really cool people.

travel, far-off day-trip, or weekender, somewhere outside the norm. Gives you fresh perspective regardless of whether the trip works out well or poor. :^) I'll drive up to 4 hours for a Special Venue, particularly if I have someone to share the ride with.

ride other bikes on the regular haunts, like others said. My main ride is a 5" FS 2x10 trail bike that I *adore* but every now and then I take my steel hard-tail single-speed out. Really resets the perceptions. Reminds me if I'm getting sloppy with skills. Definitely different.

Point is, don't do the same thing all the time. Mix in something different, somehow, now and then.

No matter how passionate you are, if you do the same thing enough i'll become boring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Go faster. Read up on cornering technique. It's fun to practice all the parts of cornering well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeah thats what I was going to say, go faster, my goal at one trail I ride is to do it under an hour 13 miles. We have some more technical obstacles built along the trail, try riding those if you have them. Buy a trials bike, will take you at least 3 years to get even decent on it plus so much of trials can translate into MTBing. I just bought myself a trials bike last week and its a blast.

Nothing beats a competitive riding partner for motivation. Start looking for people to ride with. Ride with as many groups and people you can until you find that one guy who you can almost keep up with. Make friends with him and stalk him. Ride with him every chance you get.

Nothing will make you a better rider faster than riding with a better rider. Nothing will keep you attacking your trails mon-fri more than knowing you have to keep up with HIM on the weekend ride.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

Professional Crastinator
    OP, I think you should compile all the answers.
    (sorry folks about paraphrasing some of your answers to oblivion)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Do trail work.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    Ride trails in new directions.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    Single speed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1983 View Post
    Get friends and family into riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    Ride Trails the other direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    ...at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    Pop more wheelies!
    Quote Originally Posted by medeist View Post
    Buy a new bike
    ...a different style of bike. I learned a lot by trying out suspension. It made me a better rigid rider.
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    Have other things to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Ride year round.
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Lead noobies around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee View Post
    Practice all the parts of cornering well.
    You'd be surprised what you can learn even on a baseball diamond. The dirt is sooooo good.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    Ride with as many groups and people as you can.
    Lock your bike to tree, drive about 10 miles away and run/hike to it. Then ride back to your vehicle. You can make this into an epic day. Carry shoes or ride flats. I have done this mostly because many trails here are closed to bikes.

Ride quietly... with a camera.

Try to ride 2 different trails in one day without using your car. (this may be really easy for some)

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    -hit up a bmx track to dial in your pump/jump skills
    -ride flats
    -my go-to is that i switch my brakes moto-style and run 'em like that for a few months. trust me. it'll give your local spot a newer look than even ss will.
    -i run my 4x set-up ss with one brake bmx style/slammed seat on trails and it forces commitment and technique.

mtbr member
    I like to do a road trip once or twice a year to ride in a different area. Also, get a trials bike, or learn the trials basics on your current bike. Trials brings a whole new dimension to mtn. biking and improves your technical skills. For some reason you get hard core bikers that own and ride XC, downhill, road, cyclocross, dirt jump, single speed, etc. etc. but they shy away from trials riding.

beater
    I ride my local trail network 4-6 times a week. I can sympathize to a degree, as sometimes I start longing for something different, but I'm not sure I'd ever say I get bored.

I guess I'd say that I just live in the moment when I'm riding. That makes every ride fun, and every ride different. I equate it to my local ski hill. I've skied the crap out of that, but I've never gotten bored by it. Every day is different, and every day is fun. Some are epic.

Some days I'm riding slowly with the dog, some days I want to work on skills, sometimes I'm on a group ride, and I frequently ride with friends of widely varying skill levels. Factor in the choice of trails, and that creates a pretty option-rich matrix.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Ride less. I used to ride every single chance I got, as hard and as fast as I could go. All year long in every weather condition (except for muddy trails - big no-no.) That's a definitive recipe for burn out (and a divorce if your spouse doesn't ride.) I still ride a fair amount, but my rides are shorter and more reasonable and I will take a few days off when I feel crappy. I also started snowboarding about 9 years ago, which gives me a winter activity that is in many ways more fun than mountain biking (think about it - going downhill on a bike, you have to stick to the trail. On a snowboard, you are making the trail!) Take a few days off the bike, do something else, and the passion will be there (albeit, in my case, I hope the "passion" doesn't ever revert back to incessant obsession.) A lot of my passion for mountain biking these days is in the form of advocacy and doing my part to create riding opportunities for others and keeping trails open to biking. It's way more satisfying personally than actually riding.

Oh, and yeah, get a rigid singlespeed. I've had one since 2001 and there is no better way to experience a trail differently than go to from gears and suspension to SS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Night riding looks like it would change things up for you....looking for a light right now for my bike
    JUST DO IT

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I look in the mirror!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast