Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What did you do to/for your bike today?

17K views 204 replies 114 participants last post by  Fleas 
#1 ·
Some days I don't get to do anything or ride it, or even touch it, so I'd like to know what you did to or for your bike today.

Today I lowered my stem by one spacer.

See less See more
#33 ·
I bought some tubes, spacers, and a powerlink today. I'd dropped my 11 tooth from my 34/11 cassette, turning it into an 8 speed in the process on Monday when my Ultegra 13 tooth top gear arrived. Tonight I tried to add some more spacers to the inside of the freehub but found that I was already maxed out. Regardless, my chainline is happier now, dead centered between 4th and 5th when in the middle ring.

Drew

#38 ·
today I think I'm gonna go get some crank brothers eggbeaters and a shorter stem & longer bars...

should be fun.

any opinions on eggbeater vs candy? I like the idea of clip in from any side, and I never ride unclipped, so I'm leaning towards eggbeater, any one not like them?

#127 ·
get the eggbeaters

I have both. They are great. Barely notice any difference. Only advise i'll give is DON'T buy the cheap ones. I don't know which i have. As they change and i don't pay attention, I know i have one pair of eggbeater and two sets of smarty's. About $120 a set. I also have one left eggbeater and one right smarty. Those were the under $50 a set and they lasted about a year.

#40 ·
Tightened up the rear hub, rebuilt the rear brake caliper, and lubed/ retightened the EBB. RTR.

>>>any opinions on eggbeater vs candy? I like the idea of clip in from any side, and I never ride unclipped, so I'm leaning towards eggbeater, any one not like them?<<<

I have both and prefer egg beaters. Unless you ride sometimes with soft soled shoes, not sure there's much purpose to the candy's. Egg beaters are super easy to maintain and rebuild if needed, and you can get into an entry pair for cheap. They can be fragile, though- if you smack one good on a rock, it'll bend the outer piece and you'll need to replace it. Better float than SPDs, but definitely not as strong. I need the float for my knees, and they're cheap, so I just keep an extra set (from CL or the like) at home in case the working set breaks.

#42 ·
>>>any opinions on eggbeater vs candy? I like the idea of clip in from any side, and I never ride unclipped, so I'm leaning towards eggbeater, any one not like them?<<<
Second hand preference info, but my GF races both road and mountain. She has EBs on the pave machines, but she has Candys on all her MTBs. She never tends to mix them either way -she loves the 'pedal finding' of the SL riding offroad, and shat.

#45 ·
This is my new set up:

New EB's.

New 45mm Diety stem:

New bars, currently 810mm, gonna cut them down a bit, but rode a few miles with some tech rocks and fast DH with them at full width.. LOVE THEM:

After my ride I removed the gear indicator on the shifter and swapped the brake to inside the shifter so it's in the right spot for a single finger grab and quick shifts... No pix of that yet, been busy and it was dark when I did that.... I like it a lot!

#49 ·
Made a ghetto dropper post today...

Just a reflector bracket to be the lower end stop, and shifter cable used as the higher end stop. Works great so far.

I also changed my brake pads, but now I gotta figure out how to adjust my brakes cause they're too tight now.. Hydraulic brakes

#50 ·
I rode my bike through a grassy area and came out with both wheels packed with cockleburs. I pulled a lot of them out with my fingers, now I have little thorns in the tips of several fingers. I made it home and used hemostats to pull out the little thorns. I'm hoping that I want have a leak as a result the cockleburs.

#51 ·
#52 ·
I left it alone in a refugee camp of other abandoned bikes while I demo'd a Pivot Mach 429, and 429 Carbon. About half way into the ride I was feeling cashed from riding too hard the day before, and my buddy asked what was wrong.
"I feel like i have a cramp in my heart".... Which I kinda did,literally. He laughed and asked if I was missing my bike.
Maybe I was, or maybe I could just feel my baby..... scared, abandoned, crying.
Or maybe I'm just a nerd who likes to anthropomorphize.
Good day kidz.
Get out and ride. :)

#53 ·
Yesterday I went out to the local pine forest single tracks for a ride on sun up.

I have to say that it was a pretty awesome experience floating through a pine forest with the sun just starting to poke its head up. Heaps of wildlife skittering about, and not another rider on any of the trails. Usually I am only out on a bike ride this early in the mornings if I am commuting to work, or competing in a race/pre-race training session where there isnt much time to 'stop and smell the roses'.

After an epic season of training/xc racing, with many high points, and low points, it has been awesome and refreshing to jump on the bike to focus just on riding and rekindling my passion for the MTB.

So I guess technically speaking I didnt do anything TO my bike, but I did something FOR my bike. I rode it, and I enjoyed every moment. The worst part is that I now have to wait an entire working week before I can head out and recharge again. Damn work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.