Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    New speedplay cleats so I can get out on the road bike for some winter spinning. Today new slx cranks for the satori since I stripped out my deores on a xc ride yesterday.

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    Drilled some holes in the seat-tube to reduce weight.
    pix?
    Not what you think.

My videos

somehow still alive
    I went to a bike shop and tested a Surly today. loved it!! those things are fun!! I may rent one for some snow touring this winter
    Not what you think.

My videos

Gumnut Peddler
    Would the reduced weight be worth the decrease in strength?

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinderz View Post
    Would the reduced weight be worth the decrease in strength?
    I was wondering the same thing.. that's why I want pix.
    Not what you think.

My videos

Rogue Exterminator
    God I really hope you are kidding.

I mean seriously, how much weight could one drop by doing this?

You would have been better off just cutting off one of your big toes.

mtbr member
    I have a good size roll of racer's tape from last year, and lots of newish tubes.
    If I don't put it on now, what's the point?

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I bought some tubes, spacers, and a powerlink today. I'd dropped my 11 tooth from my 34/11 cassette, turning it into an 8 speed in the process on Monday when my Ultegra 13 tooth top gear arrived. Tonight I tried to add some more spacers to the inside of the freehub but found that I was already maxed out. Regardless, my chainline is happier now, dead centered between 4th and 5th when in the middle ring.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

somehow still alive
    Taking her out for some exercise right now!

Dakota Ridge for an afternoon ride after a morning of skiing.
    Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    washed and wiped down frame and etc
    then lubed and wiped the chain
    then went for a ride and got her dusty and dirty
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My Salsa is gonna be mad, but I ordered a Surly Ogre frameset that I'll be swapping over all its parts onto. I'm gonna have so many braze-ons and so much tire clearance I won't know what to do with myself!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Today I was trying to replace 42T Shimano for 40T Specialites Chinook chainring. Unfortunatelly Chinook is thicker so I need longer screws....

somehow still alive
    today I think I'm gonna go get some crank brothers eggbeaters and a shorter stem & longer bars...

should be fun.

any opinions on eggbeater vs candy? I like the idea of clip in from any side, and I never ride unclipped, so I'm leaning towards eggbeater, any one not like them?
    Not what you think.

My videos

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    My Commuter got a ride and a post rain wipe down before receiving some new chain rings. My MTB was ignored because it's living at the house I'm housesitting this month right next to Joaquin Miller Park poised for action, while I'm at work in the City.

mtbr member
    Tightened up the rear hub, rebuilt the rear brake caliper, and lubed/ retightened the EBB. RTR.

>>>any opinions on eggbeater vs candy? I like the idea of clip in from any side, and I never ride unclipped, so I'm leaning towards eggbeater, any one not like them?<<<

I have both and prefer egg beaters. Unless you ride sometimes with soft soled shoes, not sure there's much purpose to the candy's. Egg beaters are super easy to maintain and rebuild if needed, and you can get into an entry pair for cheap. They can be fragile, though- if you smack one good on a rock, it'll bend the outer piece and you'll need to replace it. Better float than SPDs, but definitely not as strong. I need the float for my knees, and they're cheap, so I just keep an extra set (from CL or the like) at home in case the working set breaks.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Talk to me, Goose.
    Talked dirty to it. Its the only thing left that doesn't seem to hurt my wallet...
    We can't stop here, this is bat country..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    >>>any opinions on eggbeater vs candy? I like the idea of clip in from any side, and I never ride unclipped, so I'm leaning towards eggbeater, any one not like them?<<<
    Second hand preference info, but my GF races both road and mountain. She has EBs on the pave machines, but she has Candys on all her MTBs. She never tends to mix them either way -she loves the 'pedal finding' of the SL riding offroad, and shat.

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    Tightened up the rear hub, rebuilt the rear brake caliper, and lubed/ retightened the EBB. RTR.

I have both and prefer egg beaters. Unless you ride sometimes with soft soled shoes, not sure there's much purpose to the candy's. Egg beaters are super easy to maintain and rebuild if needed, and you can get into an entry pair for cheap. They can be fragile, though- if you smack one good on a rock, it'll bend the outer piece and you'll need to replace it. Better float than SPDs, but definitely not as strong. I need the float for my knees, and they're cheap, so I just keep an extra set (from CL or the like) at home in case the working set breaks.
    I rode apex after putting on a new stem, bars, and EB's. It was an odd day so I went up apex->sluicebox->pick n' sledge->apex

Smacked the EB's on a bunch of rocks, they didn't break but they're gonna take some getting used to.....
    LOVE the new short stem and wide bars.
    Not what you think.

My videos

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon View Post
    Second hand preference info, but my GF races both road and mountain. She has EBs on the pave machines, but she has Candys on all her MTBs. She never tends to mix them either way -she loves the 'pedal finding' of the SL riding offroad, and shat.

Not what you think.

My videos

somehow still alive
    This is my new set up:

New EB's.

New 45mm Diety stem:

New bars, currently 810mm, gonna cut them down a bit, but rode a few miles with some tech rocks and fast DH with them at full width.. LOVE THEM:

After my ride I removed the gear indicator on the shifter and swapped the brake to inside the shifter so it's in the right spot for a single finger grab and quick shifts... No pix of that yet, been busy and it was dark when I did that.... I like it a lot!
    Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    Finally fixed the slow leak in the rear tube and put on my mud tire while I had the wheel off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I miss my bike as I'm stranded in Sri Lanka now

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Finally got round to servicing a sticky front shifter. It has been periodically sticking for 3 months now. Every time I think of it I am halfway through a ride. One squirt of wd-40 and it was fixed.

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk 2

somehow still alive
    Made a ghetto dropper post today...

Just a reflector bracket to be the lower end stop, and shifter cable used as the higher end stop. Works great so far.

I also changed my brake pads, but now I gotta figure out how to adjust my brakes cause they're too tight now.. Hydraulic brakes
    Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I rode my bike through a grassy area and came out with both wheels packed with cockleburs. I pulled a lot of them out with my fingers, now I have little thorns in the tips of several fingers. I made it home and used hemostats to pull out the little thorns. I'm hoping that I want have a leak as a result the cockleburs.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast