• 12-02-2012
    shekky
    1 Attachment(s)
    cleaned off the mud from friday, lubed everything, got rid of the not-so-great kenda rear tire and replaced it with a panaracer rampage...and rode it almost thirty miles...
  • 12-02-2012
    ChewynMe
    Chewy was placed in the prep ward today for tomorrows surgical procedure, (fork removal to see if it is bent) and possibly liposuction to remove an unwanted chainring, Chewy will now be 2X10.

I'm praying for you buddy, you can do it!
  • 12-02-2012
    SCR818
    You lost me there. Your avatar shows Chewy riding a bike but you seem to be referring to your bike as Chewy?
  • 12-02-2012
    ChewynMe
    Bike= Chewy

Avatar, thought it looked cool and better than a 230lb white dude getting a piggyback ride from Chewbacca!

:-D
  • 12-02-2012
    NYrr496
    Yesterday, in my favorite LBS, I spotted a box of saddles marked 10 bucks each. I nabbed a WTB Pure V and swapped it out with the Rocket V that's been on my bike. One of the best mods ever.
    And the cheapest.
  • 12-03-2012
    Hollyw00d
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChewynMe View Post
    Chewy was placed in the prep ward today for tomorrows surgical procedure, (fork removal to see if it is bent) and possibly liposuction to remove an unwanted chainring, Chewy will now be 2X10.

I'm praying for you buddy, you can do it!

Prayers sent.

:thumbsup:

Just got my gal back from the shop yesterday. All fixed up and ready to go!! ended up with a busted hub and some suspension joints were messed up... :eek:

I wanna go ride today but I got a bruise on my saddle area (from a long for me ride) and it hurts to ride. :mad:
  • 12-03-2012
    SCR818
    1 Attachment(s)
    It's raining and I'm home with my sick daughter so I installed a new set of ESI foam grips.
  • 12-03-2012
    ChewynMe
    Go back and buy me one?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Yesterday, in my favorite LBS, I spotted a box of saddles marked 10 bucks each. I nabbed a WTB Pure V and swapped it out with the Rocket V that's been on my bike. One of the best mods ever.
    And the cheapest.

Hey, do me a solid and go pick one up for me....I'll paypal you $20!

:p:p:p:p:p
  • 12-03-2012
    NYrr496
    Quote:

Hey, do me a solid and go pick one up for me....I'll paypal you $20!

:p:p:p:p:p

If you're serious, I'll go and see what's left. There was a Rocket V in there I didn't take.
  • 12-03-2012
    Ryan The VW Tech
    I sent in a RA request to Fox to send my 2013 CTD fork that died after 100 miles :(
  • 12-03-2012
    Maday
    I did some trail work...
  • 12-03-2012
    ChewynMe
    You are very kind
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    If you're serious, I'll go and see what's left. There was a Rocket V in there I didn't take.

No thank you but I give you triple mad PROPS for the offer! :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • 12-03-2012
    Hollyw00d
    Just ordered the kit to change my head tube angle.... gonna slack it out 1.5*. pretty amped about it!!
  • 12-03-2012
    SCR818
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollyw00d View Post
    Just ordered the kit to change my head tube angle.... gonna slack it out 1.5*. pretty amped about it!!

So, we're talking about a relaxed head angle like this?
  • 12-03-2012
    rogerfromco
    Rode it at lunch. :thumbsup:

Hard to believe we are having such nice weather in Denver at this point in time. The mtns need snow BAD!
  • 12-03-2012
    John Kuhl
    Looked at it.
  • 12-03-2012
    Hollyw00d
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    So, we're talking about a relaxed head angle like this?

That's exactly what I'm going for. :thumbsup: :D
  • 12-03-2012
    _Alberto_
    Lowered my stem one spacer. Feels awesome. Cant wait to ride tomorrow.
  • 12-03-2012
    dwnhlldav
    1 Attachment(s)
    Ordered my 32t ring. A green E13 guide ring will go nicely with the green highlights on the Stache.
  • 12-03-2012
    2000Z3M
    put the bike on a diet. Lost the granny gear, front del and front shifter. Will see how I like running a 1x9 with a 36x11-34 If I like it, I will keep it and get a chain guide and short cage for the rear del
  • 12-04-2012
    NYrr496
    I broke down my rear triangle last night to replace all the pivot bearings.
    Also changed from X9 9 speed to X9 10 speed.
  • 12-04-2012
    johnybutts
    Went tubeless last night, and wiped down the frame/derailleur pulleys
  • 12-04-2012
    nixgame22
    Some fresh cables, housing and brake pads.

• 12-04-2012
    John Kuhl
    I road the hell out of it today.
  • 12-04-2012
    SCR818
    ^ WINNER! Best reply!!! :thumbsup:
  • 12-04-2012
    kikoraa
    Rode it!
  • 12-04-2012
    henrymiller1
    get the eggbeaters
    Quote:

today I think I'm gonna go get some crank brothers eggbeaters and a shorter stem & longer bars...

should be fun.

any opinions on eggbeater vs candy? I like the idea of clip in from any side, and I never ride unclipped, so I'm leaning towards eggbeater, any one not like them?

I have both. They are great. Barely notice any difference. Only advise i'll give is DON'T buy the cheap ones. I don't know which i have. As they change and i don't pay attention, I know i have one pair of eggbeater and two sets of smarty's. About $120 a set. I also have one left eggbeater and one right smarty. Those were the under $50 a set and they lasted about a year.
  • 12-04-2012
    EricAlmighty
    Took off and cleaned cassette! Hot water, rag, and finish line citrus degreaser gets it done! Next to come will be 'rings and chain, then finally no more crunchy sand/dirt/grime sounds coming from drivetrain!
  • 12-04-2012
    PSimpson7
    Continued collecting parts for my new build:

• 12-05-2012
    ChewynMe
    Picked Chewy up from the ICU (wheels dished, trued, hubs rebuilt)

Gave a little TLC at home (bleed brakes, clean cog + chain, replace pads)

Short break-in ride around the hood - tomorrow it's saddle time for some black diamonds!
  • 12-05-2012
    ChewynMe
    Bad news
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan The VW Tech View Post
    I sent in a RA request to Fox to send my 2013 CTD fork that died after 100 miles :(

I hope it goes well for you. Had issues with my fork, not really resolved as they should have been. My fork L + R side are not operating together well. :madman: Different compression, different return.:confused: Already replaced the orginal Recon Silver because it failed 2 weeks into ownership. :eek:

Good luck. :thumbsup:
  • 12-05-2012
    Hollyw00d
    lubed chain.. may go ride it today.... or may go ride my commuter just to get some seat time
  • 12-05-2012
    Hollyw00d
    So I decided to see what it's like to have a SS, and rode my commuter 12-13 miles around the Denver Highlands (lots of hills) and left my commuter bike in 1 gear the whole time.. It was awesome!! I am beginning to understand this whole SS cult!!
  • 12-05-2012
    fuelman22
    Installed a c-guide and dirt 3 chain catcher!! No more chainsuck!!!!

Also picked up a Topeak CO2 race pod, seems to work pretty well

• 12-07-2012
    mtbike52
    Lubed the chain, put bike in truck, drove it to the trail, took it for a ride. It loved it.
  • 12-07-2012
    dru
    I crashed it and broke it!
  • 12-07-2012
    Hollyw00d
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dru View Post
    I crashed it and broke it!

oh ****! what happened? what broke?
  • 12-07-2012
    SCR818
    1 Attachment(s)
    Santa 'hawg bought new shoes for his lover... :ihih:
  • 12-07-2012
    Hollyw00d
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Santa 'hawg bought new shoes for his lover... :ihih:

:thumbsup:
  • 12-07-2012
    dru
    Quote:

oh ****! what happened? what broke?

Oh, nothing bad. Lost the front on some mud and managed to get a foot out just as the bike slammed down on my right thigh. Snapped the shifter right off, and left a nice bruise and abrasion on my thigh.

All part of the fun.
  • 12-07-2012
    _Alberto_
    Cleaned the rotors and pads. Lubed the drivetrain. Weighed it.
  • 12-07-2012
    Hollyw00d
    Quote:

Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Cleaned the rotors and pads. Lubed the drivetrain. Weighed it.

and it weighed in at?????????????
  • 12-08-2012
    ChewynMe
    Hey if his ride is a lady she may not approve of sharing such things!
  • 12-08-2012
    ChewynMe
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dru View Post
    Oh, nothing bad. Lost the front on some mud and managed to get a foot out just as the bike slammed down on my right thigh. Snapped the shifter right off, and left a nice bruise and abrasion on my thigh.

All part of the fun.

Let me be the first to say, I hope your shifter heals with Godspeed!

:D
  • 12-08-2012
    dru
    Quote:

Let me be the first to say, I hope your shifter heals with Godspeed!

:D

Thanks! Luckily for me, I could still ride the bike for another half hour after busting the shifter off.

I wrote this a week back or so.

Just stuff to fix the bike.
    Multi tool, tube, powerlink and a pump.
    No first aid stuff; if I die, I die, but if the bike breaks and I can't finish the ride then that would really suck!
  • 12-08-2012
    ThundaCrymz
    2 days ago: Blue Thunder (2006 Motobecane Elite FS) I changed the 1" riser bar and added cruiser handlebars and attached an old metal basket to carry stuff. Also had to replace a few chain links after breaking one of the masterlinks (yeah I had two on there LOL) Repositioned the light from the neck to the center hole of the front suspension fork. Changed the rear derailleur back to the old Shimano Altus. Last weekend he got a bright blue pair of 700c x 40 tires and some comfort grips

Yesterday: Midas (2004 Schwinn Frontier FS) Adjusted the rear right brake and had to add a washer to stiffen it due to the brake's mounting hole being worn. Trued the rear rim better so I can use the rear brakes better. raised the neck to it's max, debating if I want to change it out. Adjusted the saddle (Cloud 9) about a degree or so upward and a tad forward. Earlier in the week I converted him back to 26" from a 69er setup and did some repairs to the original suspension fork. Had to file down the stanchions to smooth out the suspension, lubed up the slider arms and the fork is bouncy again.

Today, Blue Thunder and I will be going to wash laundry so I'll be hauling the trailer.
  • 12-08-2012
    CanesFan
    I cleaned my bike up a bit. It rained yesterday so all the trails are a bit muddy I'm sure, so I took the day off to clean up my bike from a little mishap I had on my last night ride involving a small creek and a lot of mud!
  • 12-08-2012
    webmstrk9
    Gave her a bath and lubed her up and now she's ready to be ridden again
  • 12-09-2012
    dwnhlldav
    1 Attachment(s)
    My Stache got a stache.
  • 12-09-2012
    _Alberto_
    Quote:

and it weighed in at?????????????

Nothing crazy by the standards on this forum. 19" Mamba few mods. 28lb 7oz
  • 12-09-2012
    2000Z3M
    Road it, thought kids to ride better!
  • 12-09-2012
    dru
    I looked sadly at the one I broke on Thursday, and then rode the other one.
  • 12-09-2012
    Hollyw00d
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dwnhlldav View Post
    My Stache got a stache.

awesome! I need one!
  • 12-09-2012
    Hollyw00d
    I picked up new grips for it today.... those fancy ergonomic grips... hopefully my wrists like them..
  • 12-09-2012
    expostdelirium
    I took a "cute" pic of it to post on another thread.

I will be finalizing the art for the design of my headbadge for both of my bikes later this week. I'll post here when I finish them.

Great idea for a thread.
  • 12-10-2012
    Mazukea
    adjusted the cables running down my down tube. They had way too much slack in them. Zip-tied and retightened the clamps and my baby was good to go.....back in the garage. No time to ride today. Hopefully sometime this week.
  • 12-10-2012
    ChewynMe
    Tortured Chewy today. Put 700 x 35 tires on my spare wheels, and mounted them. (Chewy is quite fond of the Easton Havens and was not exactly thrilled about mounting the old OEM bonty wheels (wouldn't keep still/had to fight him), but came round when I mentioned new shoes (the Kenda Couriers)) Removed the front caliper.

Tightened up the fork tension and took off on 45 mile paved trail epic.
    (ok the Epic part is a certain joke).

Butt sore, typing this from a stomach laying position.
  • 12-11-2012
    Hollyw00d
    Put the new grips on, and installed the Cane Creek HTA kit. Now I'm at 67* (in theory). The iPhone protractor measured it at 66*

Either way it's nice and slack for my AM style of riding!

Only got to test drive it for 5 minutes on a little pump track, but it feels AWESOME!!
  • 12-11-2012
    Hollyw00d
    Quote:

Tortured Chewy today.

I should name my bike
  • 12-11-2012
    SCR818
    ^ Let's see some pics or a video!
  • 12-11-2012
    DSprocket
    today i worked on my trail so my bike would have a place to be rode, thats what i did for my bike today..
  • 12-12-2012
    Hollyw00d
    Brought it to work with me today... It's all snowy and icy in the parking lot.. guess I'll go play when I'm not running calls.
  • 12-12-2012
    csteven71
    Bought new grips. Ergon GA1's to give a shot.
  • 12-12-2012
    dru
    I opened a nice new box when I got home from work. Inside that box was a nice new shifter to replace the one that was unceremoniously removed by my right thigh last Thursday.

Tonight I may just put it on the bike, or maybe not....
  • 12-14-2012
    Jkj
    Finally the one year of components warranty is over, by the way I am riding spec epic 29er. As you all know their stock thing aren't great especially the hubs! So today I have ordered hopes hubs with flows ex rims, new 50mm stem and world force 780 bar! I am not as lucky as you guys, your country has real mountain! As in Singapore we only have on "short hill" so most of it I consider as xc courses. I would like to have an xc bike efficiency and am bike handling! :) cheer
  • 12-15-2012
    Mohammedqur
    Adjusted my front der. at the Coop after all my attempts resulted in failures. Also, cleaned the chain and the rear der.
  • 12-15-2012
    giezelle
    Went out early in the morning to have cycling
    I love the morning breeze today so I went out and have some cycling with my friends. Nothing beats fresh morning breeze.
  • 12-15-2012
    Mazukea
    nothing crazy. I just cleaned the gunk out of the rear derailleur. It was getting kinda bad.
  • 12-15-2012
    Wild Wassa
    Today I went to Ass Junction to enquire about travelling with my bike on a train ... boxing the bike is a pain in the ass.

Warren.
  • 12-17-2012
    twowheelfunman
    I put a road bike, tri bike, road wheelset and a singlespeed frame on craigslist today in order to scrounge enough cash to get a Fox Forx 29er 140mm 34 for my Rumblefish.
  • 12-17-2012
    cerrogordo
    Took the fork out to do some measurements. Just ordered me my first new part ever. Bought my bike used and all the upgrades were used parts too.
  • 12-18-2012
    Silentfoe
    Installed the new Ergon SM3-L Pro Carbon saddle today. Then I rubbed my ass all over it. :p
  • 12-18-2012
    A1an
    Installed new bars, stem, wrap, and hoods...

• 12-20-2012
    kikoraa
    Installed new Hayes brakes (so long elixirs!!!) A new saddle, and a wider 720 bar. Feels like a whole new bike!
  • 12-20-2012
    ThundaCrymz
    Midas (Schwinn Frontier FS) had his neck changed, changed his tires to some Kenda Komforts 26" x 1.95" , and tonight he will have a new pair of LED lights mounted. Took a ride across town as well to pick up some new pairs of pants. Rode only about 30 blocks today and it was very windy. Had ordered a new chain as well, but waiting a little while before I switch them out.
  • 12-20-2012
    dnlwthrn
    Finished building it? All that's left to do is shorten the rear brake line and ride!
  • 12-20-2012
    Fishbucket
    Took the specialized seat off the Timberline and put it on the Highball. two laps in the parking lot and hung it back up.

• 12-20-2012
    trmn8er
    3 Attachment(s)
    Bought her a new stem. I am going from a pretty long stem to one much shorter. Can't wait to see the difference in feel... Oh, and I rode a short ride near my home (11 mile out and back) just to get a little cardio, but it was cold out (for California) at like 60 degrees.

Same stem mounted, just a new top cap. Other one was a beater. The old stem was a 110, new one an 80. Bike feels a lot different. I hope to ride day after Christmas in some great single track so I will get to try out the new reach.
  • 12-20-2012
    SCR818
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Bought her a new stem. I am going from a pretty long stem to one much shorter. Can't wait to see the difference in feel...

You'll love it! Much better stability at speed! :thumbsup:
  • 12-21-2012
    JoeyCapps
    short stems rock! I went from a 110 to an 80 and it was sooo much better for my riding style.

Anyway I ordered some goodies at the LBS! I mean santa did lol.
  • 12-21-2012
    cycljunkie
    1 Attachment(s)
    I installed this on my bike tonight! :thumbsup:
  • 12-21-2012
    Naturally Aspirated
    Found out that an old tube, cut into a small strip, make for a great chainstay protector!

• 12-21-2012
    aegolius
    SS -> 1x9 + spikes. It's winter, u see.
  • 02-04-2013
    ChewynMe
    Today I took my Hayes Dyno Sports off the bike, cleaned/rebuilt and replaced. I also changed out the pads and bleed the lines.

Swapped out my SRAM 1050 cassette for a SRAM 1070 on my Eason Havens, added the 1050 back to the OEM Bonty wheels (now have 700X35 tires for road riding)

Side note, I kept the front brake off for a 40 mile road ride, didn't really mind it so much.
  • 02-04-2013
    Venturewest
    Began to strip the paint off my Giant Trance X1 frame. I plan to go to bare, polished aluminum. I am going to try to mask off a cool design and media blast accents in the frame. I will maybe start a thread with photos as I progress.

All I did tonight was spray a little Aircraft Remover on the top tube to see how it works. It looks like it shouldn't be too hard.
  • 02-05-2013
    tao
    Installed new Schwalbe tubes, Geax Gato TNT 2.3s and Jagwire shifter cable.

• 02-05-2013
    John Kuhl
    Right now I'm sick, so all I could do was look at it and wish
    we were together on some nice single track.
  • 02-07-2013
    breakingbryan
    Yesterday I started putting on new brake and shift cables and housing, and today hopefully I'm going to build a bike stand so I can do maintenance more easily, and then finish the cables. Lots on the plate. Pics to come when I finish the cables (they're all red and pretty) and stand, hopefully I can manage to do that in the next day or so.
  • 02-07-2013
    Fishbucket
    I reached up and touched the chain.... then wiped the black schmuchs off my finger.. :(
  • 02-07-2013
    jrm
    Stopped by the LBS
    and had the shifting adjusted. Much better now
  • 02-07-2013
    Steineken
    Re: What did you do to/for your bike today?
    Converted from 3 rings to two w a bash and put some new shiny bits on :) later i will reward her with a ride

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  • 02-07-2013
    s0ckeyeus
    I gave it a hug...
  • 02-07-2013
    heartland
    I opened up my fork, installed new Enduro seals and wipers, and changed the fork oil. It was my first time servicing the fork on over three years (whoops...), but man oh man was it worth the time and effort. The fork works better than new now. It is whole-lee-crap smoove. Now I just need the trails to dry out so I can go ride it.
  • 02-07-2013
    TX_Shifter
    Ordered new XT crankset
  • 02-07-2013
    sfb12
    New rim tape and another tube (again -__-) hopefully the new rimtape will solve the issue. Then I went to get lunch on it .
  • 02-07-2013
    rockerc
    Put a new chain and cassette on the Rize 2, got 6 months out of the last one, and the Salsa is in need of the same after the same time. The desert dust takes its toll...
    Tore the rear derailleur cable housing last ride, so I put a new Teflon XTR cable and housing on it instead of the Jag, (got an X0 rear mech on it). Now she shifts better than the XTR on the Salsa!
    Didn't have time to ride it after that, so tomorrow I hope...
  • 02-10-2013
    Steineken
    Re: What did you do to/for your bike today?
    Took her on a long ride. Raced in a short circuit 4x aprint series and had a blast. Road through a puddle of ocean water and got the bike covered in salt so gave her a good bath after. Great day!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  • 02-10-2013
    dru
    I'm one of those types who gets miles and miles out of gear. My Deore 555 rotors had worn so thin in the 7 years I've owned them that I ordered a new set which I intalled this weekend. Gave the brakes a general once over, pulled out the pads, cleaned stuff up. That's one really good reason to avoid sintered metal pads. The organic ones wear out instead of wearing out your rotors.

I would have gone riding but we now have about 2 feet of snow. (Ontario.....)

Drew
  • 02-10-2013
    cyclelicious
    Made a final payment on a new fork

Went home and went for a ride... pics will be posted
  • 02-10-2013
    salscott
    What did you do to/for your bike today?
    It was the her true first ride. A mix of paved trails and cross country connecting them for 17 miles. With the rain last night, it was muddy and she handled like a champ.