Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    Rode her as hard as I could down Noble Canyon. The only complaint she gave was when I got off on stairway to hell as I didn't want to end up like this guy.

Attachment 1106294
    About five years ago I visited a friend in San Diego and borrowed his old hardtail (Gary Fisher circa late 90's or early 2000's) and rode Noble Canyon. It was awesome. I had no shuttle so had to climb an adjacent road all the way back up to the rental car. I still have photos of the trail hanging in my bed room.
    Last edited by kpdemello; 05-17-2017 at 10:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Mounted some G-Ones tubeless on my gravel bike(Slate)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Converted my three kids Walmart bikes to single speed. Not one of the crappy grip shift or rear derailers worked. They are all riding and happy again.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Bought a barely used riding companion for $600 in mint shape: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/reign-2-2013
    Last edited by noose; 05-24-2017 at 02:39 PM.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    The hybrid got a full checkup in anticipation of a long rail trail ride, and a little brake tweaking.
    Thought I was done, but it may get the ti stem screws from my mtb this evening, too, since some kind soul left a gift for the Yelli Screamy in my mailbox
    What did you do FOR your bike today??-received_10212596913260843.jpg

mtbr member
    Cleaned, lubed and installed a set of spank spike pedals that came with my wife's used bike. I put my straitline defacto's on hers.

2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    I told mine that I was replacing it with titanium. Now it won't talk to me.
    "Cats don't like riding on a bicycle... no matter how much duct tape you use" . - G. Lemond

mtbr member
    Replaced my chain, pads, and derailer hanger. Fixed my issues and let me enjoy my ride today aside from two wipe outs lol. One was oncoming mtber us both bailing on blind corner and the other an angle cut small tree stump threw me. Just a couple scrapes.

2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    The 29er got routine maintenance, cleaning, and a mini pump attachment to the frame. She is on my rack ready to ride shortly. 👍
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Slapped on my cheap Chinese carbon bars and seat post to drop a bit of weight for tomorrows nasty short climbs. I leaned on them pretty hard in hopes they don't snap under me on the trail. No guts... no glory!
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Fixed a flat on my wife's commuter.

The main job was putting new brake pads front and rear, new front rotor, new chain, and flipping the chainring and sprocket, and adjusting the chain tug tension on her single speed.

The single speed maintenance was a joy altogether.

The rotor was a Shimano splined mount, which is so much easier than the 6 small torx bolts I usually deal with.

Love Shimano brakes.

The hard part was loosening the chainring bolts. Luckily there were just four of them!

I have a chainring bolts tool made of stamped steel, and one that is like a screwdriver. Both of these barely work for the job of holding the nut firm enough to unscrew the bolt. I wish for a better wrench or better chainring nuts.

I didn't bother cleaning the bike. But I did clean the sprocket (rear cog) and chainring.

Oh, and I put on a new rear tire.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Cleaned it up and going to put it away...The stance 1 comes tomorrow DSC_0476-Edit by , on Flickr

mtbr member
    Aired up the tires

Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Did 1x10 with a new zee mech.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Added cheapo pedals and a bottle cage to my new to me beater.

Those little plastic pedals really suck big time.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Rode it after adjusting my XF Sweep travel down from 160mm to 140mm. The bike handled and climbed better on my twisty punchy climb filled single track. Sorry I didn't do this sooner as 160mm is overkill for my conditions.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Props to OP, the Giant looks gorgeous now. Great colours.

I had an MRP ramp control cartridge installed into my 36's, and a full service. I can't wait to dial them in and feel the difference!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What should I do with my bike tomorrow (or whenever things are shipped)? 12x GX Eagle on my main bike (1x10 32x11-36 atm, definitely need more on the big climbs)... or 11x XT on both my mountain bikes? both come out to about $450

Co Springs
    Find;

Schwalbe for $10 ea in a 26'r 2.4

Added them to my old Kona for nearing the + tire experience; Enhanced ride and traction for the old hardtail .
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

try anything on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by kdirk View Post
    What should I do with my bike tomorrow (or whenever things are shipped)? 12x GX Eagle on my main bike (1x10 32x11-36 atm, definitely need more on the big climbs)... or 11x XT on both my mountain bikes? both come out to about $450
    Xt 1x11. Better shifting in my experience than SRAM offerings
    The most freeride like fat bike I could make with available parts...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by noose View Post
    Rode it after adjusting my XF Sweep travel down from 160mm to 140mm. The bike handled and climbed better on my twisty punchy climb filled single track. Sorry I didn't do this sooner as 160mm is overkill for my conditions.
    I'm running the same fork. Considering doing the same thing - Any gotchas?

mtbr member
    switched it back to 27+

Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoon View Post
    I'm running the same fork. Considering doing the same thing - Any gotchas?
    Other than dumping oil all over the floor no. There were 3 settings on my Sweep; 160, 140 and 120mm. The travel adjust video on x-fusions site described the process perfectly. RL2 Fork Travel Adjust You can get a customer version of the damper removal tool much cheaper here: Bikeman X-Fusion Consumer RL2 Damper Removal and Installation Tool (threads onto damper shaft in place of footnut)

I will say reducing to 140mm tightened up my steering and helps climbing.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Today did my weekly tighten on my crappy loose back wheel. Cup and cone keeps coming loose and is pretty grindy. This combined with an unfixable chaindrop issue has me looking to put it back to stock and sell it to get something new.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Today I tried to grease my rear hub bearings only to find that my cassette lock nut is hopelessly frozen. Soaked with WD40 and letting it sit overnight, and hopefully will have more luck with it tomorrow.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    Today I tried to grease my rear hub bearings only to find that my cassette lock nut is hopelessly frozen. Soaked with WD40 and letting it sit overnight, and hopefully will have more luck with it tomorrow.
    PB Blaster is better than WD40 for future reference.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks. I got it loose after a lot of pain and suffering.

I then decided it was a good idea to clean and lube the bearings in my suspension pivots. It went well until I tried to do the one at the bottom of the frame near the cranks. I realized I didn't have the tool to remove the shimano crank set, so I figured I would just remove the chain rings to expose the bolt.

Well it was kind of a bitch to do with the crank set still attached, but I managed to get the chainrings off. Except the smallest ring was still in the way even after removing the chainring bolts. Mofo. So then I put it all back together only to realize I mounted the middle chainring on the wrong side of the crankset. Son of a bitch!

So after a mere 4 hours of mechanical adventure, I got all my pivots greased except one, and I got a lot of practice with chainring bolts.

mtbr member
    Busy day off taking care of the bikes. Cleaned and lubbed all 4 bikes, air the tires, adjusted my suspension. The grocery bike got a rack/lights and another bottle cage.

They were all neglected in the maintenance dept. Nice to have your bikes ready to roll.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Actually Sram did this for my bike. 2nd set of warranty brakes (levers sticking in heat). Started out with R's that they upgraded to RSC's the first time it happened. This time they sent Ultimate's. Annoying its happened twice but feel they've more than taken care of me with the upgrades. Thanks Sram!
    Mole

What did you do FOR your bike today??-001.jpg

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Busy day off taking care of the bikes. Cleaned and lubbed all 4 bikes, air the tires, adjusted my suspension. The grocery bike got a rack/lights and another bottle cage.

They were all neglected in the maintenance dept. Nice to have your bikes ready to roll.
    +

I did nuthin' bikewise.

Used a 30 degree cooler day to go after the weeding up in the lilac area of the backyard. It's elevated and so the weeds are prominently displayed. My wife had surgery a few weeks ago and I had to Mr Mom things for a while. Part of that is getting into the stuff she normally does or that might 'bug' her. This would be the Marriage Maintenance dept....

To Do-
    91' Spec; rear wheel/rim hub clean up de-grunge and swap 1.9 city tire with fatter block tread tire. Did the front last week.

01' Kona; Adjust front derailleur to properly accommodate the 2.4 tire on the rear so small ring chain position won't cause derailleur versus tire friction.

17' Marin; Short check-up ride and adjust tire pressure as needed for Sunday afternoon AFA ride.
    Pack/keep rain gear handy.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    ^^lol, hope the wife recups quickly bachman.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

Co Springs
    ^^lol, hope the wife recups quickly bachman.
    Thank you!
    She's doing great and we just had a bit of a scare for a time til things checked out. Blessed with a good turnout.

Give'er!
    I um...uh...Greased my seatpost and stuck it back in the hole.

Magically Delicious
    Uh.....
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Checked tire and fork pressures, lubed the chain, wiped down the rotors, adjusted the angle of the brake levers and attached dropper remote a bit. Most importantly, I got the headset top piece logo perfectly aligned with the head badge(had a little mishap a couple weeks ago, and the trailside fix was less than perfect).
    Bike's got a hot date with some trails in the morning, so it needs to be presentable. Didn't scrub the caked mud off the frame, though. It's not a girly bike, and maintaining its manly edge is impotant...

Tree Crasher
    I bought a $4 bear bell because the lush vegetation this time of year provides some of the local singletrack with extremely limited lines of sight.

It comes with a ball sack and attached magnet to quiet the freaking thing. Otherwise I just tuck it back while riding
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

mtbr member
    One of my bikes was filthy, so I decided to wash them all. I left them drying on the lawn, and ended up viewing them while I was barbecuing chicken. I felt so affluent looking at these three bikes I was almost embarrassed.

2014 Specialized Sirrus Sport
    2015 Trek XCaliber 7
    1982 Motobecane Grand Touring Bike converted from friction shifters to SRAM X3 7sp. Krylon Cherry red with clear Lacquer.
    How am I supposed to pick a line through this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    One of my bikes was filthy, so I decided to wash them all. I left them drying on the lawn, and ended up viewing them while I was barbecuing chicken. I felt so affluent looking at these three bikes I was almost embarrassed.

2014 Specialized Sirrus Sport
    2015 Trek XCaliber 7
    1982 Motobecane Grand Touring Bike converted from friction shifters to SRAM X3 7sp. Krylon Cherry red with clear Lacquer.
    +1 👍
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

Titanium junkie
    I rode to work today, then after my 10 hours rode home............
    Coming home it dawned on me what a beautiful,light, and agile bike I have again.
    Sure it's a 26", but it is a work of art to look at and ride, and it is an old friend that still
    fits me like a glove. No rattles, squeaks, nothing but the lack of sounds from a well tuned
    and loved bike. I did nothing for my bike today, but it did something for me.
    I'm smiling................. Thank you Bizango!
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    SS is killing me at a couple a trail systems that I want to ride more(it's too freaking hot to mash all day right now, too!), so I put my 1x10 stuff back on.
    What did you do FOR your bike today??-2017-07-21-14.34.55-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Going to install some volume spacers in the rear shock ^^

Pics to come (if I remember to take some) o_0

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member

Old bike part stand.

squish, squish in da fish
    HA! love it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    RSAmerica, that is a work of genius. I might have to make me one of those, I'm pretty sure I've got all the necessary bits kicking around.

Fitted a new back tyre to mine: the new Conti Race King RaceSport I fitted a few months ago developed flexion wear in the sidewall to the point where it was becoming a liability, so after a sidewall blowout last ride I have choked back a sob and fitted a slightly heavier (but much more durable) Race King ProTection, with a lovely new latex tube. It's a little slower in the acceleration and a little higher with the rolling resistance and not quite as grippy, but it is much more comfortable and much less likely to go bang. I've been getting a few sidewall blowouts recently, which is mostly just an inconvenience but I've been worried about giving one of the many elderly hikers I encounter a heart attack as with latex tubes a sidewall breach goes off like a gunshot.

While the wheel was off I took the opportunity to take a needle file to the little lips that have been swaged into existence on the cassette teeth. The shifting is now as crisp as a very crisp thing indeed - well worth the effort.
    M¦dgemagnet

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I just picked up this "new to me" bike and swapped out the pedals and changed out the back tire. Not sure about the tires yet, but the guy gave me a brand new one with the bike, so why not try it out. I've only really put any time on 29ers, but the guy only wanted a few hundred for it, so I figured it would be worth it. I'll take it out for the first time tomorrow, but I can already tell I'll be buying a shorter stem and much wider bars. I'm still super excited to have a bike again though!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did you do FOR your bike today??-20170806_175759.jpg  

What did you do FOR your bike today??-20170806_180458.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSAmerica View Post

Old bike part stand.
    Everyone should recycle.... That is pretty damm cool.
    "we mock, what we don't understand"

mtbr member
    Nothing FOR my bike.
    I've done things TO my bike, but they were FOR me.
    It's a bike.

Cycologist
    Cool, a use for my 540 bar and 120 stem!
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Today was Bike maintenance day, far too sunny today to sit at work all day.

Giant Trance SX
    - Washed the bike
    - Air can service- FOX Float X
    - Greased Pivot bearings- Found 1 that was seized, worked it loose with WD-40 and cleaned it out with Isopropyl, then greased...not perfect but so much better than before
    - Replaced cassette ( Sunrace 10spd wide ratio)
    - Replaced chain -SRAM 1091
    - Headset Service
    - Replaced chainring- Blackspire Oval 30T

Took the bike for a spin around the block, feels like a new bike! Feels good man

Not sure why I waited so long to do my own maintenance..

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Tried to take off the 7-speed freewheel and failed, maybe because the hub doesn't have a quick-release skewer to help twist it off. LBS time. Upgrading front derailleur as well, the stock one wobbles about 1/2 centimeter now. This backup bike was supposed to be a backup bike but I'm putting more money it it than what it cost new lol.

mtbr member
    Worked on my bike today. Put on my longer stem to slow the twitchy steering and improve climbing, put on a hans dampf 2.35 ts rear tire for less squirm at low pressure and better grip climbing (so many turns on my trail I can't go fast anyway), shortened my chain by a couple links and dialed in my rear derailleur limits and cable tension.

2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Replaced all the (stock alloy) with brass nipples in my Anthem front wheel yesterday, and obviously trued it and replaced the stans tape and orange seal.

Did the back wheel in January. Not sure if it was the Stans I used the 1st year or what, but a bunch of the nipple heads are oxidized/pitted and the spokes were all too short, so the oxidizing weakened the nips and they have been snapping off at the rim interface.

Luckily I had a couple spare spokes, because 2 nipples broke when I tried to loosen them.
    Anthem Advanced
    ECR

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    threw on a set of new race face chester pedals.....the gt platforms that came with the bike only had about 5 studs left on them between both pedals

slow
    Air in the tires and lube on the chain. I have my bikes set up so they require very little of me.

Give'er!
    lock-tighted one of the rear derailleur limit screws; the High limit has a habbit of working loose over the course of a few rides so I'm hoping a bit of blue goop will smarten the thing out!

Co Springs
    I rode the bike to work tonight after thinking it through and pretending to be of commuter mindset and such.

My bikeplanet computer and wheel sensor always seem to go buggy every few rides so I'll fiddle with that some. Maybe alignment or battery.

** This is only a few rides with a carbon bar I put on. Am I correct in thinking it will smooth out some brittle frontend feedback on the trails ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Carbon does not dampen vibration. It's more ridged than aluminum. If looking to dampen input from handle bars, get the Kore handlebars with vibration damping foam inside the bars.

mtbr member
    Last night my 3yo wanted to play with the hose so I told him he could wash my MTB. He finished that, then decided to wash the other bikes that were still inside the garage.

Give'er!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Last night my 3yo wanted to play with the hose so I told him he could wash my MTB. He finished that, then decided to wash the other bikes that were still inside the garage.
    So not only did he clean your bikes he also cleaned your garage? What a trooper!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHB View Post
    So not only did he clean your bikes he also cleaned your garage? What a trooper!
    I see him wanting a raise on his allowance
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    Carbon does not dampen vibration. It's more ridged than aluminum.
    Rigidity and and the ability to dampen vibration are exclusive. Carbon is very well known for it's ability to dampen vibration based on multiple factors on the carbon-fiber reinforced interleaved epoxy composites and the choice of fiber lay-up and the objective of the design. The aerospace industry using carbon in very specific areas where rigidity is mandated, but must have specific dampening abilities for given vibration frequencies. Aviation applies this same dampening requirement for flight controls to dampen the high frequency vibrations.

The same technology applies across all manufacturing disciplines and the use of carbon in handlebars specific in design for this purpose. There have been many threads here on MTBR addressing this subject. Perhaps for handlebars, this could be subjective, but from a technology and application design, carbon has been proven to have significant dampening abilities when designed to incorporate this requirement.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I received my crank bros bike tool kit. Have not had a chance to look at it in detail. But now I'll be ready to fix things properly

mtbr member
    I see him wanting a raise on his allowance
    He recently got one, from not knowing what money is, to here's a quarter, don't spend it all in one place

Salty member
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post

** This is only a few rides with a carbon bar I put on. Am I correct in thinking it will smooth out some brittle frontend feedback on the trails ?
    I love my carbon bars and can definitely feel a dampening effect from them.

Take an aluminum handlebar (unmounted) in your hands and tap with a screwdriver

Do the same with your carbon bars and not nearly as much vibration transfers through the bar.

I don't think my like for carbon bars is just a placebo effect, I always switch my bikes to them.

Just my experience with them.
    2018 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon C-S Build NOX/Hope Hoops
    If you're not bleeding, you're not trying...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Today I washed and decreased my commuter, put air in the tires and then noticed a leaked in the rear tube, so I swapped that out.

Also went thru all of the stuff I carry in my seat bags, and my fanny pack and hydration pack - sorted things out to try and ensure I was not carrying duplicates of stuff.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    New derailleur hanger and adjustment. General drivetrain clean & lube.

mtbr member
    The old garage queen, my wife's back-up bike, which she hardly ever rode, got taken out for a shake-down ride, after some changes.

Upon this old in excellent condition FSR I removed a 2 year old front XT hydraulic brake lever/caliper and Saint triple front gear lever and replaced them with a cable Deore shift/brake lever and mechanical brake caliper.

I am going to use those components on my 26'er hardtail BOB trailer pulling bike for bike camping.

This red M4 Sworks FSR is going to be shipped to the East Coast for a family vacation at a beach house, and stay there permanently, for family Beach Town cruising.

Perhaps this is under-appreciated application for this nice bike, but it might inspire extended family to ride, and be useful for trips to the beach and store. But I worry about theft. I will bring a lock and sturdy cable to go along with it.

I'm also sending another bike, an old "mens" single speed MTB, to mate with this "girls" bike.

Have to remark that this bike has been on some epic rides.

My chief regret is that at some point I ditched the original Fox float fork and Chris King/Mavic V-brake and XTR levers on the front of the bike, and sold them cheap at a bike swap, upon replacing them with 100 mm travel and hydraulic brakes. The bike would be prettier with the original build.

However it's functional, light, durable, and pristine. It's over-kill for a beach bike.

Maybe it will be taken to some real trails in the east some day.

mtbr member
    Forgot to add the other change made was to switch the stem and handlebar to a wider flat bar with a higher rise stem. The old bar was narrow old school and uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Today I picked up my thunderbolt from my LBS as they replaced my rear hub - not sure wether to thank stans or not (product design issues offset by warranty???) for offering a two year warranty.

I also picked up a tool wrap to replace my rear seat bag which would rub on the tire when the seat was down and the rear wheel compressed.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

High Desert MTBer
    I drooled on it for a little...

What?!?! What's wrong with that???!?
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Upgraded that crappy suntour on my hardtail to a rockahox recon air, wow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    ...I put my 1x10 stuff back on.
    And now I've made it singlespeed again after breakng the rear derailleur. Wasn't digging the gears, anyway. Bike handles and feels so much better SS that it doesn't even make sense. Wasn't so noticeable when switching to gears and concentrating on using them more effectively, but immediately was after changing back. I'll miss those high gears on flowy sections, though...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345