Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Live 4 2day
    My first ever road bike that I got when I turned 13. Covered allot of country miles on that bike until I got my drivers licence. Took it off to College with me and then sold it as a starving student.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeti ultimate

Your Best Friend
    A 1995 Mongoose Amplifier with an Amp fork, XTR components and syncros wheels. All with awful blue anodized parts. Loved that thing. Still looking for one to buy.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Now older but less slow!

what bike(s) do you regret selling?

1994 Kona Ti Hei Hei.

I sold the frame and forks when I upgraded to a XC full suspension bike in 1997.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    A 1995 Mongoose Amplifier with an Amp fork, XTR components and syncros wheels. All with awful blue anodized parts. Loved that thing. Still looking for one to buy.
    Thought I saw one on eBay today.

Your Best Friend

Re: what bike(s) do you regret selling?

Wait...what?! Size?

Your Best Friend

Re: what bike(s) do you regret selling?

NVM. Found it. The guy is scalping it. Pretty delusional. That said, I'd still be interested if it was bigger.

mtbr member
    Always regretted selling my Voodoo Hoodoo, (1999 aluminium frame). First really decent hardtail I ever got. Actually sold it to my brother, and it only recently died from a cracked headtube. At least it had a good life.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    2008 Kona Kula Deluxe. Scandium frame and with a paint job that was complimented by many. A rocket up hills and light as a feather (22 lbs). Sold it to a good home, but baby, if you see this "I miss you" LOL.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Subscribed! I love this thread...being a vintage fan. Lots more Cannondales than I would have guessed. What a great eclectic mix of bikes though. I had a fillet brazed Steve Potts that I miss but that's about the only one. Luckily the guy who bought it from me made it way more prettier than when I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I loved those Ringle parts! What size are you looking for? I see them every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Cline View Post
    Yeti ultimate
    I feel for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    90's Diamondback Axis Pro....stupid , stupid stupid........
    I didn't know that. Are you gonna try to find another?

Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    '92 Yeti FRO
    '95 Slingshot (miss that leaf spring!)
    I feel for you too. I love my FRO. :P

Quote Originally Posted by tg View Post
    Wish I had this one still. Raced and rode this bike for 7 or 8 years until I got the full squish bug.
    Wow. Serotta built?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    I didn't sell it, I bent it during a cyclocross race and always regretted it. Somewhere in one of those shoe boxes in the closet is a couple of photos of my Mongoose, sigh. I LOVED the way that bike rode. Maybe some day I'll find another.
    Some more have come out of the woodwork. I think somebody is bringing one to Keyesville if you ever go. Official John Tomac Picture Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Original red and chrome Nishiki Alien
    3 different Klein Adroits, one gator fade, two my own custom two color fades.
    One custom color Attitude.
    That's it.
    Ooof. Those have become big money bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    1996 Klein Attitude
    Full XTR except crank, Race face cranks - 2x8 no granny gear (just called it "no little ring in the front" back then); Integral BB and headset; Thompson Elite seat post; Selle Italia Flite Ti saddle; Time ATAC carbon pedals; wheels built by me - XTR hubs, DT spokes, Mavic rims (don't remember model); 20.5 lbs.
    M231 rims? Great bike!

Sorry for the massive quoting but I got totally excited.

mtbr member
    I had a 2004 or 2005 specialized P2 that was a true franken-bike with all kinds of mix-matched parts, but everything worked on it real well and it lasted a long time, and it was single speed with a pretty low gear and i put a long seat post on it so it worked for riding trails as well as dirt jumps+skate park. I 'upgraded' to a modern steel framed dirt jumper but haven't gotten to like it as much.

mtbr member
    I buy and sell a lot of bikes (well, mostly frames), and in general I don't miss any of them. However, I just bought a Gunnar Ruffian off ebay to replace a Rockhound from a few years back, so I guess I missed that one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've never had any inanimate object that was better than a newer version, so I've never regretted selling anything whatsoever. Right now I totally love my new bike. It's new. It's clean. It works perfectly. It's so smoooooth and solid.

But in a few years when it's old and newer better bikes are out, I'll be jumping ship again.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Remember this SIMPLE RULE:

"If you have to SELL a beloved bike, just to finance the next one...there will ALWAYS be regrets involved."
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member

what bike(s) do you regret selling?

I'm not a sentimental person, rather usually the one to get rid of everything. But I do miss my '97 Diamondback Sorrento because of all of the time I spent with that bike and all of the rides I went on with my grandpa. Those rides are some of the best memories I have as a kid. I have his old bike in my garage and really wish I had mine to sit there next to it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    About five years ago I almost sold my 91 Trek 830. It sat in my garage for years collecting dust because the rear shifter was busted. Two years ago I converted into a ss. Best 30 bucks I spent on mt biking. I now have a 29er ss but still use the Trek 830 to pull my five year old along the trails and spin on the trainer.

Came across a similar thread years ago about people regretting selling their first mt bike. So glad I did not. I do miss my baby blue Huffy with banana seat but I busted the frame landing a jump.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I had a Redline BMX in the 80's that I wish I still had!

My custom Giant XTC was stolen last year - I still miss her.
    Sid Race forks
    Fulcrum Wheels
    Sram carbon shifters and derailleurs
    Schwalbe tyres
    DX pedals (miss them the most!)

very sad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I don't regret selling it but I regret leaving my Trek Sawyer in Greece (my mother lives there). I thought I would go back so I decided to leave the bike there. Actually, it may be a while before I get there again.

It will cost about 500 bucks to have Delta fly it back. Maybe I can get my mom's driver to take it to the Airport and drop it off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what bike(s) do you regret selling?-sawyergreece.jpg  

mtbr member
    Not a mountain bike but I sold a Quintana Roo Kilo triathlon bike with full LX components for about 1/3 of what I paid for it. I didn't need the money but had stopped racing tri's and riding altogether and it seemed like a waste to have that bike sitting in my garage.

The bike was gorgeous. It was so purposefully designed that it sucked for anything other than going fast in a straight line on the aerobars but that was where the beauty was. I still miss it even though I have no desire to climb aboard a tri-geometry road bike again.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Same here... Shoulda never sold my 89 master..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My Karate Monkey

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Regret selling-- my '92 or '93 Rocky Mountain Thin Air. Thing was my first race-ready/lightweight bike. Actually, started with frame and went custom from there. Anyone remember the original Pulstar hubs??? About 23.5lbs when done.

Regret having stolen-- my '93/'94 Mantis ProFloater. I was using it as my commuter to work (dumb me), and it was stolen while locked up in front of our security-manned employee entrance. I just hope the maggot that stole it grabbed a handful of right brake, which I had reversed to stop the front wheel. Oh, the satisfaction I'd get if I knew the outcome.

Bike I'll never regret having-- my '99 Cannondale CAAD3 frame/Fatty fork. Won it on my daughter's first bday in a race raffle, built it up nicely, got a bike seat for her, and took her on too few rides. Why too few? Well, she was called back to Heaven in '03, and I still have it and ride it, now limited to road training. Oh, I used it for some 24hr events, N*'s series, and a few other events. The sentimental meaning of it means it will be in my possession until I'm with her again.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mantispf2000 View Post

Regret having stolen-- my '93/'94 Mantis ProFloater. I was using it as my commuter to work (dumb me), and it was stolen while locked up in front of our security-manned employee entrance. I just hope the maggot that stole it grabbed a handful of right brake, which I had reversed to stop the front wheel. Oh, the satisfaction I'd get if I knew the outcome.
    Yeah, Cunningham should have never sold Mantis, for the lure of a six-figure income at MBA....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    even though I have moved on to 29ers I do miss my 2006 Santa Cruz Heckler
    Mark Jones

2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 29

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Never have had to sell a bike before. Always rode it until the frame broke. However, I will be heavily touched by sequestration if it hits and am looking at all options.

How far can you go on peanut butter, cheez whiz, and crackers?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast