Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Levi Early

The bike I regret selling off was my '11 ibis mojo hd. I took delivery of it Dec '10. I only had it for 6 months total and unfortunately only put about 150 miles on it in all total. Right after I purchased it a strange chain of events that put me in one of the hardest parts of my life forced me to sell it off. I did manage to keep a few things off of it to put onto my next bike which I do love but I am often left wondering how much more fun I would have had on that thing.

Then there is my gary fisher procaliber from 97 that I ALMOST lost due to a crazy ex girlfriend holding it hostage. I did manage to get it back in one piece luckily due to some covert operation

mtbr member
    Trek 830 when I was 13 years old. My brother talked me into selling it and spending all my savings on a HT Univega. I have never forgiven him.
    Just because you can't hear them scream doesn't mean they don't. Save a plant, eat meat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My old Kona Firemonain.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I had an Independent Fabrications Team Slalom I picked up off ebay. In place of a serial number it had the name of the employee it was for/built by written in weld on the BB. I sold it because I was worried I was going to break it. Should have hung it on the wall until I was older and wiser.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member

~1988 Schwinn...

Actually I havenít sold any...(yet). That said, Iíve hit a space limit. I have 4, each daughter has 2 and my wife 1 bike... no more room.

When I started talking about what N+1 should be, my wife said I should sell my seldom ridden vintage... But if I did, I think Iíd be the next OP starting a thread like this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what bike(s) do you regret selling?-1988-schwinn.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I didn't really sell it, but I traded my Trek 4300 for a vintage road bike.... I already had a second mountain bike and had never ridden a road bike, so it seemed like a good idea... and it was, but sometimes I do wish that I would've kept my first real mountain bike... at least the frame anyways. Now, the road bike is sold and I kinda miss it too... I'll never sell my current mountain bike though... I'll get rid of my car before I sell it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Giant Dash 1

I regret selling my Giant Dash 1. At the time I didn't have much choice - earlier this year we had some financial difficulties and I needed to make the sacrifice. Now though, I had a Trek 7.2 FX before that bike and I enjoyed the ruggedness and pretty much indestructible design of the frame and tires. I never had to "worry" about the tires and the related pavement / road surfaces. Definitely interested in a hybrid type of bike like the Trek 7.2 again, vs the road bike Giant Dash 1.

tell 'im he's dreamin'
    I left my 1973 Kool Lemon Schwinn Sport Tourer @ a bike shop in Florida--didn't want to go get it (long story); gave away my 1995 Barracuda A2R---I STILL miss them both.

"Two manky hookers and a racist dwarf--" In Bruges

official eMpTyBRain
    I'm like some of the others here. I don't regret selling any of my past bikes but I do look back upon them in comparison.

Each bike I replaced did offer the next step in technology for the most part. Luckily, I've never been in such a bind that I felt forced to sell something that I really wanted to keep.

I did take one step back but with purpose. That was when I replaced a totaled Spesh Epic with an SJ HT. I did that to get back into to it. I wanted a bike that was very light and super efficient. I was very weak, so I needed those features to get me back up to the top of the steep hills and mountains where I live.

I have owned 6 mountain bikes since 1999. The first 4 were purchased brand new. The last 2 have been used with the intention to build as custom.

The model years of my purchases are: 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2010, 2009. I've had Diamondback, Specialized, and Pivot.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Short answer - My 2010 Hardrock Disc

Long answer below:

I purchased my first mountain bike in November of 2010, but didn't really ride much until my buddy (who talked me into buying my first bike) finally held up his end of the deal and bought his bike. I rode weekly through the first 3 months, and I bought my current bike then.

My first bike was nothing special, but a good bike for getting me into the sport. It was a 2010 Hardrock Disc. I sold it this summer because I knew I wouldn't go back to it.

Then just a few months ago, I found out that my wife's younger half-brother had been discharged from the Marine's last year. His position (job, duty, what ever they call it) had been done away with, and even though he had been a Marine for 7 or 8 years and planned a career out of it, he found himself back in the civilian world. After being unable to find steady work for a year, he found himself facing foreclosure, his wife ran out on him, and now he is back in town, living with my sister-in-law until he can get back on his feet. He really is a good kid (around 30, while I am 48) and he doesn't let this stuff bother him. He now has a job working with an armored car company, and is working his way back.

My normal riding partner finds more reasons to not ride than you could ever imagine. He may make 2 trips a month out of the 10 or 15 that I try and make. If I had not sold my Hardrock, at least I could get my Brother-in-law out on the trails. He is interested, but we really just don't have the money right now to find him a bike. Maybe in a few months...

It really is a shame that someone can serve 3 tours in combat, and then be dumped unexpectedly. There were 3 men in his unit doing his assignment, and they kept the one with the least tenure, and canned the other 2. But that is another topic, and not one for a Mountain Bike Forum.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

I <3 29ers
    I'm a guy that transfers parts from frame to frame, so not so much bikes that are regretted, but frames. That being said ...

Mountain Cycles San Andreas - missed only for sentimental reasons. Not a practical fit for my physical proportions. Would make a nice wall ornament along with my old KS ProFlex 3000 - something to keep it company. hahaha

KHS Flagstaff - that would be nice to pull off the wall and build up every now and then just to enjoy the 29er FS feel

Kona Unit and Surly Karate Monkey - taught me that steel IS real. As with the Flagstaff, either would be nice to pull off the wall and build up for *however many rides*.

I guess what i'm realizing (thanks shekky!) is that my riding desires go through cycles (sorry, pun not intended) and as I change and grow so do these desires.

Hmmmm, sounds like it's time to buy more wall hooks!

Oh, and headsets!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    My 08 stumpy. Rode a lot of sweet single track with that thing. Sold it to build up a xc race bike.
    Its not what you ride its how you ride it...

Ive been the death blow of every mtb ive owned, so no regret about selling any =P. I have quite the collection of broken frames.

I DO wish i had my old Redline PL20 bmx bike. Stolen from HS bike rack 26 years ago =(.

Now... if this was a thread about regretting selling musical equipment id have quite a few entries.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    90's Diamondback Axis Pro....stupid , stupid stupid........

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Cannondale Prophet. I made money on the sale of the bike, but now I'm looking for a 650B 140-160mm full suspension bike and I had a pretty good option back then.

Flexy bike though...

Ugly As F*ck
    Someone let me know when the "what bike do you regret buying" thread gets going so I can participate.

mtbr member
    I certainly have a few regrets...

My baby blue 5.5 with XO

The full Dura Ace ti/carbon swiftness

I'm still a firm believer in the "Steel is real" ethos. Full Record to boot.

I don't really miss the entire bike, but the original steel Syncros cranks and Pace fork I miss a lot!

And finally the Maverick. Not the best bike in the tight stuff, but it was an awesome bike for all day epics.
    Last edited by tiffany's pigeons; 01-14-2013 at 08:06 PM.

mtbr member
    I have two regret losses of bikes. First being my 1998 Stumpjumper which i gave to my brother in law after getting a new full suspension bike in 06. The second was when I came on hard times... I sold my IF Crown Jewel road bike. I have gotten another roaqd bike since but its was not the same so i quickly got rid of it. God i miss that bike... at least I have visitation rights with my stumpy. I have recently started considering a new HT stumpy purchase.
    Surly Karate Monkey, SNGLSPD
    Surly Puglsey

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I miss a few of my old bikes, not all mountain bikes.

S&M War Pig
    Bianchi B.A.S.S (Really Miss)
    ProFlex 646 (just a fun reliable bike)
    General Bicycles Fred Blood edition

Those are my biggest regrets, and would love to have them back...

mtbr member
    2003 Santa Cruz Heckler.

Frame was one size too small, BUT it was the bike I had most fun with. Incredibly versatile. Rode it all over Europe.

Had to sell it to pay University fees. (had another bike at the same time though)
    Now I have a good paying job (thanks to those fees) and saving up for a new ride.

I am thinking of building a Blur TRC or a Tallboy LTC - hoping it would give me as much fun.

Dharma Initiate
    I remember reading this thread a while back. Since I have been looking for something other than a memory of my first bike. I had the frame up until a few years ago. Moved. Mis-placed idk.. gone.. Not a MTB but the one I consider it "the one that got away" so-to-speak. Sorry, pic of a pic no scanner.

Im thinking this was bought around 1992-94 ish.
    Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: what bike(s) do you regret selling?

2001 rockhopper.

It wasn't a great bike, but I sold it for $125.

I'd love it now as a beater to go to the shops and leave chained up, or convert to ss to give that a try.
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I do miss my 06 Specialized Hardrock that I sold years back...was a great bike. A few year ago, I briefly put my 06 Yeti AS-X up for sale but then took it down after deciding to keep the bike - I definetly don't regret holding on to her.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    in 01 I started racing. in 02 I was sponsored by Dean USA with their grassroots team. in 03 I left for basic. I sold that bike right before I left. I still think about that bike all the time. It was great full XT, sid fork and a Ti frame, fit me like a glove. If I never sold that bike, I wouldnt have gotten out of the sport for almost 9 years.

mtbr member
    With almost zero exceptions, every single one of them. It's a curse, or something like that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast