Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I like pie.
    No regrets.

I still own my '99 Kona Explosif framset built up with mostly XT stuff. 853 steel. I will never sell it, but I do have concerns about being able to keep it relevant in the ever changing world of MTB bikes. For one, it is not disc brake compatable. Otherwise I intend to enjoy it as long as I can.

mtbr member

My first "real" race bike a 99' bass boat schwinn homegrown

I eat cats
    1995 Cannondale M900 (handed down to me). I didn't sell it but left it at my brother's house in his basement when I moved back to CA from Boston. He gave it away. My fault as I didn't ask about it for a few years. When I got back into riding this year I called him to see if he still had it and he laughed. Still wish he would have checked in with me first and I would've paid for him to ship it out here. Would have been a fun project bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    My first two race mountain bikes.. 1997 Cannondale F700, headshok, XT/XTR, orignal Raceface turbine cranks, ceramic Mavic rims. Weighed about 21lbs. Next was a 1998 GT Avalanche LE, full XTR, Judy SL, Ti bars, etc. Both fell victim to drifting interest, lack of space, and need of money in college and grad school. I'd rock either of them as-is today if I had them.

Since then I've learned my lesson and I won't sell any of my good bikes, even if they're out of the current riding queue.

the half breed devil
    selling that superlight was a difficult decision, trust me. however, i thought for sure that i was going to be forced to move into a smaller place in which i would not be able to store three bikes...

TXTony
    My 2006 Specialized Enduro...that bike was solid and I wish I had kept it...

mtbr member

I didn't sell it, I bent it during a cyclocross race and always regretted it. Somewhere in one of those shoe boxes in the closet is a couple of photos of my Mongoose, sigh. I LOVED the way that bike rode. Maybe some day I'll find another.
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

Picture Unrelated
    I've had to sell a few bikes for rent money over the years. The only one I really miss is a 70s Motobecane road bike which I converted to a really enjoyable fixed gear bike. I don't miss the frame so much (I'd like to have it, but it wasn't amazing) but I hand build a pair of Deep V rims with a "modified crow's foot" using black and silver spokes to emphasize the unusual lacing. I miss the wheels because of the time and effort I put into them but justified it by saying I'd have to really step it up for the next set of weird fixie wheels I built.

Last edited by zebrahum; 12-16-2012 at 06:55 PM.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    I didn't sell it, I bent it during a cyclocross race and always regretted it. Somewhere in one of those shoe boxes in the closet is a couple of photos of my Mongoose, sigh. I LOVED the way that bike rode. Maybe some day I'll find another.
    I might be able to dig up a picture of my old Avalanche in a closet shoebox, but I doubt I have any pictures of my Cannondale. Hmm, Ahh the days before digital cameras!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    the list is pretty long, but most of them. But mainly my Russ Denny Custom and my Ventana El Salt and Pantera. They were all good bikes but need to sell to fund new ones. I always say I should had not sold it after the fact.

mtbr member
    My Gunnar Rockhound frame.

I sold it to get a mukluk, which i am super stoked on i ride it a ton, but for the amount i got i should have kept the Gunnar frame and still bought the mukluk anyway.

tg
    mtbr member

Ti Fat Chance

Wish I had this one still. Raced and rode this bike for 7 or 8 years until I got the full squish bug.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what bike(s) do you regret selling?-100_0069.jpg  

Climbs = necessary evil
    My Schwinn Homegrown hardtail. That thing was light and fast. All it needed was a better fork.

Sent from my Android - because Carrier Pigeons are slow!

mtbr member
    Not a sale, but I deeply regret breaking my 2005/6 Cannondale Prophet MX.

I have never ridden a bike that was better balanced, 160mm(ish) at each end and it just went like a rocket everywhere. If I could find a nice one in the UK I'd probably be round waving cash right now, but it seems only the standard models are left, not fair.

mtbr member
    '92 Yeti FRO
    '95 Slingshot (miss that leaf spring!)
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Os blackbuck 650b frame, man that frame was smooth. And I'll miss my 1995 litespeed ultimate that I need to sell now to pay bills. Slow time of the year for self employment...

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

2005 Cannondale F2000SL Optimo

I should have NEVER SOLD this 18-pound climbing rocket! Good thing I found a 2001 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra frame/fork combo, as a Sport Urban Commuter project. When finished - the Bad Boy is going to be a 15-pound street rocket....and a KEEPER:

"The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I usually regret selling all of them. It mainly is because I need to keep my quiver at like 3 bikes to keep my wife happy.

So, I sold my Surly Long Haul Trucker to get a Surly Ogre. And I sold my Surly Pugsley to finance a Big Dummy. I got rid of my '09 Cannondale F9 for a few hundred bucks to put towards my Transition Bandit 29 purchase- I didn't think twice about that one, though
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I had a DG BMX bike. I had spent quite a bit of $$ getting all the cool parts on it, anodized alloy wheels, pedals, stem, seatpost, brakes and levers, "V"bars and a Haro # plate. No real high dollar stuff but all the standard bits and pieces, all in gold to contrast the blue frame and bars. Sold it for enough to buy a new skateboard deck and wheels.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana View Post
    .......My Titus Moto-Lite.....not that i would be riding it but my daughter is now tall enough to be riding it........that bike always just ripped and handled so well.......
    Another one missing a Titus here. A Titus Switchblade '04 frame.

I don't regret it because my new ride is not living up to the expectations (actually is superb), but because I could have held onto that frame easily and sold it for peanuts. Besides, it was simply gorgeous.
    Check my Site

toscano
    This is a topic that appeals to old people like me!
    I miss a bike that I sold years ago, a Cannondale Bad Boy with whom I had 1000 adventures. With that bike I learned to appreciate bikes for commuting and touring. Before I used to think only off-road.
    I'd pay a lot of money to be able to buy back.
    Last edited by toscano; 12-18-2012 at 02:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    All 5 of my old bikes were stolen at different times but now I ride a Turner so it worked out.
    agmtb

wannabee
    My 02ish Airborne Lucky Strike Ti.

mtbr member
    2001 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Limited - 23 lbs with heavy pedals, wheels and tube set up.
    what bike(s) do you regret selling?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355902179.303283.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well, my story is not about any fancy bike. The most expensive bike I have owned was an early 90's diamondback. It was sweet for its time. I bought it off this rich kid for $80 and it was almost brand new. A friend of mine lost it. It was a regret, but not as much as my old faithful Schwinn Stingray.Name:  schwinnsr73.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  94.7 KB

When I was about 10 or 11, I acquired an old, beat up, stock parts Schwinn Stingray. It did not take me long to get rid of the fenders and handlebars and whatever other fluff it still had on it and convert it to a BMX style bike. I learned to jump, bunnyhop, wheelie, crash, etc and so on on that bike. I took that bike everywhere with me for 3 years. Dirt, street, culverts, drainage sewer pipes, friends houses, delivering papers, school... If I was awake, that bike was always near. I am sure I put several hundred miles on that thing. I was so hard on it, that I was replacing parts frequently from old scrap bikes I would find in the trash, donated by friends, neighbors. Our attic was full of bike parts. The only thing I actually paid for to put on it was bearings and an innertube now and then. I thought it was fun to completely disassemble it, replace worn bearings, regrease, and put back together trying out different crank lengths, gear ratios, etc. I did this a couple of times in the living room (putting down cardboard of course to not mess up the carpet). But one day my mom came home to what looked like to her a bike exploded in the living room, then I was restricted to the garage (aaaah! no more cartoons and beverly hillbillies while working on the bike!). That bike brought me from child to teenage years. It was my transportation, my recreation, my way to escape the parents for a day.

A few years later, I saved up to buy one of them pretty mongoose bikes with the mag wheels. Purple with yellow wheels. Since I had so many bike parts, I regularly painted frames, built up bikes and sold them in garage sales. Once I got my mongoose, I did the same to my stingray. Come to find out, my mongoose totally sucked. It was heavy, and did not handle that well doing BMX stuff. Immediately I regretted my decision. I have regretted it every since. I loved that bike, and the years I spent riding it.

I do not have an original pic that I know about, but found this on the internet. It is around the same year model (73), and looked very close, but maybe a bit more beat up. Like I said, all that bling came off really quick, it was BMX looking in no time.
    They call me non-sequitur

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast