Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

What bike could you not take your eyes off of when you first started riding?

After I bought my first real mountain bike in 1997, a Jamis Dakota Al, I remember being at the bike shop and drooling over a Jamis Diablo. That was pretty early in the days of carbon and disk brakes. I was a young kid then, but almost ended up buying it but at $3200, that was a ton of money then. Still have a place in my heart for it now, wish I could get one still.

So what bike was your eye candy back when you started riding?

mtbr member
    The one that I could afford and ride the crap out of.

mtbr member
    Hum. First started riding. That would have probably been about 1962. Believe it or not, I really don't remember. I don't think people looked at bikes back then.

However, I love the nice brownish Camber Comp FSR with the orange trim. My wife doesn't like the looks of it and says that the Stump Jumper looks like a much more rugged bike. As a matter of fact, everyone else I talk to says the same thing.

mtbr member
    The 1990 Yeti ARC. Still one of the most beautiful bikes made. The clean lines, oversized aluminmum tubes, and signature looped chain/seatstays combined with the consistent Yeti color scheme (desert turquoise still says "Yeti" 25 years later) made the bike my dream bike.

And it was ridiculously expensive in my eyes. My wife and I both rode Specialized Rockhoppers on the trails above Colorado Springs in the late 80s and early 90s. A single Yeti ARC frame cost more that our complete Rockhoppers...combined.

Julie Furtado, John Tomac, Jimmy Deaton, Missy Giove and a bunch of other original pros graced the pages of Mountain Bike Action on their beautiful Yeti's every month. I didn't build my first Yeti until 2012 but I was a Tribe member, at least in spirit, for decades before that.

What bike could you not take your eyes off of when you first started riding?-tomac-c26ws.jpg
    Yeti ASR-5
    Niner One 9

mtbr member
    I wanted a Miyata. Don't remember the model name, but it was polished aluminium with muffs and black tires (back then all other bikes had cream sidewalls). Perhaps it was an Elevation.

Edit: Like this one!

What bike could you not take your eyes off of when you first started riding?-img_0884.jpg

Edit 2: Ooops, I didn't realize that the image was embedded and stolen. Here's the link to the proper owner of it: http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/IMG_0884.jpg

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    When I first started riding full suspension was just becoming popular. I remember my neighbor had a Trek Y frame I thought was pretty damn cool. Actually knew two people that had them and didn't ride trails at all... Meanwhile I was slamming some techy stuff on my GF Tassajara.

Professional Crastinator
    What bike could you not take your eyes off of when you first started riding?-redline-advert2.jpg
    Whatever Stu Thomsen was riding...

When it came to MTBs, the S-works M2:
    What bike could you not take your eyes off of when you first started riding?-picture602.jpg

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    1992 Cannondale Delta V 2000

I delivered pizza on a bike at the time and had an old Raleigh with a rack over the back tire. When I would go to the bike shop for tubes, I would always drool over it. Never mind that it was a turd and I couldn't use it to do my job, it looked awesome to me at the time.

Colorado
    Nov 2007
    Couldn't keep my eyes off the one I bought around 1988, just like this one. Lost it in a divorce, proof that life is unfair.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What bike could you not take your eyes off of when you first started riding?-rockhopper.jpg  

mtbr member
    Back between '97 and 2000 all I ever wanted was an Intense Tracer.
    "Lock S-Foils in attack position"

Fat-tired Roadie
    Santa Cruz Superlight. I got into this in 2000 on a Schwinn Mesa GSX. Used to see 'em around.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member

What bike could you not take your eyes off of when you first started riding?

I remember being blown away by those carbon trek Y bikes. I never really wanted one because I thought it was something you'd have to ride to the moon on, but I remember thinking they were on some next level ish.

Sneaker man
    When I was kid/bmxer a Diamondback Turbo...and anything GT...never had either

MTB when I started in 92, first mag I bought had Tomac winning the 91 worlds on the inside cover/contents on his Raleigh Signature, that became my dream unobtainium bike... the centerfold had a GT add, proud of place was the Zaskar...it was instant love. I wanted one so bad.

Problem was the mags kept coming, the Yeti ARC had jsut come out and it looked so factory racing cool! And then I discover the Klein QAttitude...Linear Horizon Fade woas so bonkers cool...

And then I discovered that there was something better than a Zaskar...it also came in Titanium and was called a Xizang, and if there is one thing better than aluminium, its titanium ...
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon
    2012 Cervelo R3
    2015 Look 675

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The Mountain Cycle Moho hardtails and full-suspension bikes. Beautiful bikes. In fact, I'm still looking for the hardtail version, if anybody has one to sell...

Also any Schwinn Homegrown in bassboat blue, especially the Sweet Spot bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redline-advert2.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	952661
    Whatever Stu Thomsen was riding...

When it came to MTBs, the S-works M2:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture602.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	952662

-F
    One of the guys I work with has the same s works for sale
    Can you say Full XO #22.68 salsa moto rapido

mtbr member
    This goes back to the 1950's but it was a Schwinn Jaguar. I was a little kid and saved and saved to get the money. On Christmas morning, my parents asked me to take the wrapping paper to the garbage and there, leaning against the can, was a brand new Jaguar. Best gift ever! It turned out to be my first mountain bike though we didn't call it that. Fat tires, rim brakes, three speed Stromey Archer gears, rudimentary suspension and miles of dirt trails to ride it on!

First modern era mountain bike? Easy. GT Zaskar.

All bike, all the time
    If you're talking all bikes, it was a Schwinn Sting Ray, circa 1963. For mtb, anything Gary Klein built when he entered the market. Those fat tub alus were the bomb. Still have the poster of a Klein atop a Porsche somewhere...
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Jeff Jones Spaceframe is fun to look at. I'm saving my pennies.

26 for life.
    In the early nineties? Anything Ti, specifically Merlin.
    A 95 DBR Axis TT is pretty close.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    1993 Specialized S-works Epic Ultimate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiJohn View Post
    A 95 DBR Axis TT is pretty close.
    I have frame #248 of 500 hanging in my shed.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    When I was kid/bmxer a Diamondback Turbo...and anything GT...never had either

MTB when I started in 92, first mag I bought had Tomac winning the 91 worlds on the inside cover/contents on his Raleigh Signature, that became my dream unobtainium bike... the centerfold had a GT add, proud of place was the Zaskar...it was instant love. I wanted one so bad.

Problem was the mags kept coming, the Yeti ARC had jsut come out and it looked so factory racing cool! And then I discover the Klein QAttitude...Linear Horizon Fade woas so bonkers cool...

And then I discovered that there was something better than a Zaskar...it also came in Titanium and was called a Xizang, and if there is one thing better than aluminium, its titanium ...
    A buddy from New Zealand had that Tomac Raliegh Ti/Carbon. He had to move back and left that frame in my garage. We put on this outlaw cyclocross series and the prize for winning was you got to have that frame as a trophy for the year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeIntelligencer View Post
    If you're talking all bikes, it was a Schwinn Sting Ray, circa 1963. For mtb, anything Gary Klein built when he entered the market. Those fat tub alus were the bomb. Still have the poster of a Klein atop a Porsche somewhere...
    I wish Klein was still making bikes. I think the 1990 Klein Attitude with the red/white/green fade is a bike I wouldn't be able to resist buying for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, they are selling way above "reasonable"!

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by John Svahn View Post
    A buddy from New Zealand had that Tomac Raliegh Ti/Carbon. He had to move back and left that frame in my garage. We put on this outlaw cyclocross series and the prize for winning was you got to have that frame as a trophy for the year.
    The guy I bought my xizang from has 2 of them... damn him I did nearly buy one back in 2012... but I'm a lardo and was too scared to ride it, it would be just hanging on the wall...which would be super cool... but not the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ it was going to cost me... so xizang instead...

Just to keep the thread on track...
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon
    2012 Cervelo R3
    2015 Look 675

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast