Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

What age did you start and how did you get into mountain biking?

Guess ill go first im actually new to mountain biking im 20 and it was for work to find a fallen tree on the trail so i rode a bike to find it since the 4 wheeler was to wide for the trail and i LOVED it and now im getting into the sport

In dog years, I'm dead.
    When I was 45 my wife said she & the kids wanted to get me an easy-chair for fathers day. I thought about it & said I'd rather get a mountain bike. I didn't get a mountain bike or easy chair that year, but the thought was planted in my brain. It took my a couple years to settle on a low-end hard-tail. I had a blast riding our local trails & started riding with a group. I hadn't had that much fun on a bike in more than 30 years. Last year my son inherited that hard-tail & I got a new FS. I'm now 54.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    When I was 45 my wife said she & the kids wanted to get me an easy-chair for fathers day. I thought about it & said I'd rather get a mountain bike. I didn't get a mountain bike or easy chair that year, but the thought was planted in my brain. It took my a couple years to settle on a low-end hard-tail. I had a blast riding our local trails & started riding with a group. I hadn't had that much fun on a bike in more than 30 years. Last year my son inherited that hard-tail & I got a new FS. I'm now 54.

Thanks for your answer, I just started this year at 41 and everytime I mention going riding to friends they act like I'm crazy. I started slow trying to learn the basic skills but I'm long forward to progressing. My first fall was Saturday and I didn't break a hip so I guess those jokes can stop now.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    I started riding an actual mountain bike (albiet a Wal mart version) about 15 years ago.
    But, I actually started riding bicycles on the dirt back around 1968, as soon as I was old/big enough for my parents to let me run loose, and probably well before Fisher and the boys were doing the Repack thing. Old 2 speed, coaster brake Schwinn with the brick pattern balloon tires, hammering around the dirt roads and deer paths of the Missouri Ozarks backwoods where I grew up. Couple neighbor kids that lived down the road and usually a dog or 2 in the group. Good memories of fun times in a different world.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

mtbr member

What age did you start and how did you get into mountain biking?

I picked up a copy of Mountain Biking magazine in a grocery store one Saturday when I was 12 and my mom let me run amuck while she shopped. I had been riding my Huffy BMX bike back and forth to friends' houses for at least a year at that point in my life. After thumbing through the magazine, I knew riding a mountain bike was something I wanted to do and begged my mom for a bike. My parents bought a Roadmaster for me soon after. I beat the snot out of that thing until it broke. Fast forward to my first job at 15. I saved enough dough from slinging pizzas that I was able to by a 1996 Mongoose Rockadile SX - hog heaven for a 15 year old to part way with $700 of hard earned cash. I wish I still had that bike... To make a long story short, I've been riding for almost 21 years on 6 or 7 different mountain bikes and 2 different road bikes.

Dudette
    It was 2006 when I was first introduced to mountain biking by a friend, who let me borrow one of his bikes for a ride. The bike was too big and I fell a lot, but I was bitten. A couple of months later I purchased my first hardtail and enrolled in a mountain bike class. We gathered five Saturdays in a row and rode all day. I would return home exhausted but ridiculously happy. Within a couple of years I became involved with local group rides. Now I'm the secretary of our local IMBA Chapter and get to share my love of singletrack with other new riders. I'm 41 and never thought "middle age" would be this much fun! I aspire to ride the rest of my life and am looking forward to participating in a women's freeride clinic this fall. Be patient, progression will come. In the meantime, just get out and ride

650b me
    It was 1992 and I was working at Roadmaster at the time. I was 25 years old then. I was a lifelong road biker but wanted to try mountain biking and Roadmaster made mountain bikes (of the Wal-Mart variety). Well, the bike sucked but it was enough for me to get the feel of the sport and I loved it. The next year I bought my first mountain bike, a Bridgestone MB-3. Two months after I bought it I took a guided mtb trip through the Maze district of Canyonlands NP in Utah. Totally rocked my world. A year later I moved from Illinois to Colorado and I've been mountain biking and loving life ever since!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Age 53, started this year, like doing stuff, MTb is good doing stuff.

Trouser Malfunction
    Bicycling has always been something I'd done, first true Mountain Bike ride followed motocross trails - back in '92.
    I like Sand -- I don't like Witches.

Retro on Steroids
    I was 25 years old when I first stepped over a ten-speed in 1971. I quickly became a hard-core road rider, had a Colnago Italian race bike by the next year, and a year later I was president of the bike club I helped found.

In 1974 I started sharing a house with another bike fanatic named Gary Fisher. Gary had a few old clunkers that we used for town bikes. We started riding our town bikes on the inviting trails around our town. In 1976 we started racing downhill at a place called "Repack" (see my screen name). A few years later in 1979 Gary and I rented a garage and started assembling custom off-road bikes on frames made by Tom Ritchey. We decided that "MountainBikes" would be a good name for our bikes.

So the answer to your question is that I was 33 before there were any mountain bikes to ride. Been riding ever since, 67 years old now.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    I guess I was 20, and I had always had a bike of some sorts, including BMX for many years. I was in college and mtbs had just started to become available here. It was a good way to make offroad short cuts on my commute to class and work, that the Road bike couldn't. Jumping, and offroading was a natural extension from the BMX days... That lead to crosstown urban assaults, and linking forest roads, moto trails, and neighborhood bmx trails... then weekend mtb destination travels, then I moved somewhere that had some actual mtb trails. 22 years later...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My first mountain bike I bought I was 21 and it was the spring of '92. Trek 830 Antelope. Two years ago I converted it into a single speed after it sat around in the garage. I do wish I bought one when I was stationed in Germany (88-91)

My biggest joy mt biking was last year when out of the blue my wife mentioned she wanted to try it. Went to Woodys' in Helen, GA and had a blast. At the time we were married for 16 years and she never showed any interest. A week later she found a bike and I gladly used my mt bike fund to buy it. I still get out to ride by myself but it is great to ride with her and our four daughters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    I was 25 years old when I first stepped over a ten-speed in 1971. I quickly became a hard-core road rider, had a Colnago Italian race bike by the next year, and a year later I was president of the bike club I helped found.

In 1974 I started sharing a house with another bike fanatic named Gary Fisher. Gary had a few old clunkers that we used for town bikes. We started riding our town bikes on the inviting trails around our town. In 1976 we started racing downhill at a place called "Repack" (see my screen name). A few years later in 1979 Gary and I rented a garage and started assembling custom off-road bikes on frames made by Tom Ritchey. We decided that "MountainBikes" would be a good name for our bikes.

So the answer to your question is that I was 33 before there were any mountain bikes to ride. Been riding ever since, 67 years old now.
    Winner/end thread/

@trailgrinder
    I started when I was 12 in 1992, I got a specialized hard rock sport some purple giro interchangeable bottles (anyone remember what I'm talking about) and a frame pump. Both parents worked so during the summer I would ride my bike about 10 miles on pavement to the local trails and ride all day long with a group of 5 of my friends. On the way home we would stop by a few bike shops as well. That summer I road 2000 miles as a 12 year old and never looked back, I still ride with two of my buddy's from when I started.

In dog years, I'm dead.

Re: What age did you start and how did you get into mountain biking?

Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post

Amazing! Tip of the helmet to you & Gary.

Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Late 80's, I got a Trek 830 for my 13th birthday after drooling over an issue of MountainBikeAction (IIRC...). I had been riding a 20" huffy on the trails behind my house when a neighbor gave me the mag "for inspiration."

Rode that Trek so much/hard the mild steel handlebars started bending downward, I rotated them to bend back towards straight, LBS mechanic almost smacked me for my stupidity.... A new set of Cro-Mo handlebars was the coolest thing I'd seen since my new bike!!!!.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I was 18 in 1989 when I bought a Univega Range Rover while I was stationed in SoCal with the Navy. I don't even remember what possessed me to buy a mountain bike, but I had a blast with that thing riding up in Sycamore Canyon and other places. Alas, family and kids got in the way and I sold my poor neglected Univega at a garage sale in about 1996.

I sort of re-entered mountain biking at age 35 in 2005 with a Trek 3700, but it really wasn't much of a mountain bike.

In 2010 I decided to finally get a semi-capable mountain bike as a 40th birthday present to myself. I got a Specialized Rockhopper Pro 29er and have been riding the wheels off it ever since. I am at the point now where'd I'd like to upgrade to a FS bike, but with one kid in college and another starting next year I am making do with the Rockhopper.

Yes, that's fonetic
    The ex-wife and I got Motiv pos bikes at Price Club in 1987 on a whim. I haven't been without a mountain bike since (currently own 4). 53 now and just got back from 2 weeks at Whistler.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've had bikes nearly since I could walk, but it wasn't until I went to college in Flagstaff that I actually started mountain biking. Been almost 7 years now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    As a kid in the late 60s/early 70s I rode my bike everywhere. We had a trail we used to bomb down on our stingrays that we called the Ballbreaker Trail. Once I rode my dad's 700C Raleigh 3speed on it - I crashed and the bike fell into a ravine. I snuck it home and he never knew the difference (I think that he rode that bike twice when it was new and then never again).

I got hooked on road riding in the second half of the 70s and then on mountain biking in the second half of the 80s when I bought a Diamond Back Apex in 1986. One reason I moved from Georgia to the left coast in 1989 was for better trails...

Plays with tools
    I was 12, doing some boy scout project that required me to spend time in the woods observing things. I observed while on my bike.

mtbr member
    I got my first real MTB at 11, after a long summer of mowing every lawn in the neighborhood. I wound up with a '95 GT Outpost Trail to bomb the "gnarly" trails in southern Michigan. I moved to northern AZ about 10 years ago and learned how to really ride a mountain bike.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've been riding bikes (sometimes in the mountains) since 1954. I probably would have gotten a mountain bike then, but they hadn't been invented yet. First bike was a 20" Schwinn Spitfire.

But this is my first year officially mountain biking - age 65. I got a Cannondale Trail SL1 29er, and I'm having a blast! Next week, I head to Colorado for a visit, and I'm going to ride the Peaks Trail between Frisco and Breckenridge.

Old dogs actually can learn new tricks!

ENDO!!!
    I got my first mountain bike when I was 12, in 1988, did some trail riding but mostly cruised around the neighborhood. That bike got stolen when my pursuits turned towards girls. Got back into it seriously in 94 and got real serious about it in 97 when I joined the Army and went to Ft Lewis in Washington. Been riding pretty steady since 94 though, with year breaks here and there to go off to war
    Just circles turning circles....

Hermit
    I had an entry level mountain bike I used for riding shuttles for whitewater kayak trips. But I had a terrible time with hills so I rarely used it.

Then when I was 45 my brother pointed out that our local state park had mountain bike trails. I had no idea what to expect, but decided to give it a try. Didn't even know I needed a helmet that first ride. Walked all the hills. Had to stop and walk over roots and rocks. Took me an hour and 20 minutes to do a loop.

Now I'm approaching 51 and ride all the time. I have a not so good respiratory condition, but am actually in better shape than I've probably ever been. I ride that first time loop in about 15 minutes now.

And get used to the disbelief. Middle aged guys who spend their lives on the couch can not understand why anyone would do this for fun -it's HARD, and it's DIRTY etc etc. I'm so tired of hearing that crap that I don't even acknowledge it anymore.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast