Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MTBR Mafia

What is it about Mountain Biking?

After a ride today it hit me. Why do we love biking so much. its not just another way to stay in shape or meet new people. I mean those are upsides but they dont satisfy me. is it something we were born to do or what. I really cannot think of anything i would rather do than go ride my bike. just looking for some input on what drives you to live to ride.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Quote Originally Posted by cdub
    After a ride today it hit me. Why do we love biking so much. its not just another way to stay in shape or meet new people. I mean those are upsides but they dont satisfy me. is it something we were born to do or what. I really cannot think of anything i would rather do than go ride my bike. just looking for some input on what drives you to live to ride.
    well actually for me it mainly is just that as what you said. also it is one athletic endeavor for we that are poor at the traditional team sports to have at least a fighting chance at doing ok.

the thrill of it and the pain are all good too.
    so is the eating after a long ride.
    and the swag.
    and the gear.
    and the bragging you can do at work.
    and the showing of scars.
    and looking at biking chicks.
    and even evil norba.
    and tent camping
    and fires
    and logs and roots and drops and chutes
    and ledges
    and the trek there
    and giants and specializeds and sevens all
    yup all
    even baks as big as suitcases on our rear sides
    and fat tire ale and red bull and diluted gatorade 2
    and rock n roll and even hiphop and rap cr#p 4 those who just gotta
    yeah mainly all drives me to dis culture.
    It's composition is sublime
    and in all time a mo better mix 'll be hard 2 fine.

but not unpacking the car and cleaning everything after. bleh.

biking is king. oh and thats road stuff too.
    Last edited by ArmySlowRdr; 04-26-2005 at 10:41 PM. Reason: grammar

Reviewer/Tester
    It's.. it's... the feeling I get, when i ride. I really like that feeling of....freedom, I guess. Yep. that feeling that I can go anywhere I want to go. Whenever I want to ...under my own power.

R.

Glad to Be Alive
    i would rather surf, then ride. But riding leaves you so energized after you do something you never have done before and the scenery is amazing
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Cycling is the perfect meld between human and machine

Freshly Fujified

For me, many things

It's great excercise, and one that's a lot more fun and interactive than running on a treadmill or riding a stationary bike. It also helps to break barriers and build confidence in oneself. Think about the feeling you get when you clear the log you used to walk over, or bomb down a hill faster than the last time. Also, like so many other sports, there is the comradery associated with participating in an event with others, and competing.

Clyde
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

hari kari
    I don't know what drives me to live and ride, but I have some thoughts into why we love biking so much.

To me, no other activity or drug on the planet has its confluence. When you really look at what's going on ... you work up insane amounts of endorphins on the climb, mix into it substantive amounts on adrenaline on the downhill, all the while looking, feeling, smelling, and truly and intimately experiencing some of the most beautiful land on the planet -- it's amazing. Furthermore and to Fuelish's point, I believe the meld between man and machine, on the trail in the wilderness, allows us to tap into an animal-like experience (I can't be the only one who feels a bizarre sense of flight on a good ride) and I think it's because an intense Triune Brain effect is in play, tapping into the reptilian, limbic, and neocortex layers of our brains to a degree and balance offered by few (if any) other activities. Yeah, I know, I think too much on a ride, but this is my theory nonetheless.
    Last edited by Hello Kitty; 04-27-2005 at 08:25 AM.

Motion activated
    Basically I think it's an adrenaline and endorphin addiction.

I've heard it said that driving a car is like riding in the cart (in a horse and cart), but riding a motorbike is like riding the horse. Well I say that riding an MTB is a step further. You become the horse.

So, yeah, drugs and being a horse.
    Last edited by Steve71; 04-27-2005 at 09:53 AM.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

contains quinine
    It's the closest thing I can get to flying 5 feet off the ground.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    My legs are not what they used to be. I used to hike and backpack for miles, wandering aimlessly through the mountains and forest with no real itinerary; but that is no longer possible. A mountain bike gives me the opportunity to do this again.

I long ago passed where I needed to prove anything to others or myself so I don't need the 'challenge', and I am no longer an adrenaline junkie that lives for thrills. I just enjoy being outdoors pedaling along some long unused back road or trail, enjoying the wildlife and scenery and solitude. And oddly enough, I see more wildlife on my bike than I ever saw while hiking and I enjoy more great views. michael vandeman was wrong when he claimed mtn bikers do not enjoy nature.

Biking has replaced hiking and bikepacking has replaced backpacking.

mtbr member
    The thing that hooks me on mountain biking is the level of clarity I get while i ride. No matter how crappy your day or your life is, when you are on that trail your entire world shrinks to the line of site in front of you. The shorter that distance gets and the sharper you have to be. The memory of a long, boring commute to work is erased by one good piece of singletrack. A rocky, rooted descent will negate the effects of a 2-hour staff meeting. But let even a little bit of your off-the-bike problems enter your mind while trying that technical climb and you will find yourself walking up the hill - head hung in shame because you know you could have made it if you had focused.

The bike represents freedom, individuality, independance. The bike never fails...the rider does. If the bike does not work properly, its the riders fault. The bike is a representation of the rider.

Gotta go hug my bike now.

my girl rides also
    Feb 2005

...neuroscience at work.....god I'm a nerd.....

[QUOTE=Hello Kitty]I don't know what drives me to live and ride, but I have some thoughts into why we love biking so much.

....I believe the meld between man and machine, on the trail in the wilderness, allows us to tap into an animal-like experience (I can't be the only one who feels a bizarre sense of flight on a good ride) and I think it's because an intense Triune Brain effect is in play, tapping into the reptilian, limbic, and neocortex layers of our brains to a degree and balance offered by few (if any) other activities....

I like your take on this, and I've always been under the impression that our brain is doing a hell of a lot of work, and I think it's on a level that we typically don't associate with our usual thought process. This is where our little "Truine Brain Effect" comes into play....according to that school of thought, we have the same brain makeup as any other animal, but we have the frontal lobe size advantage which makes us think logically. Screaming down singletrack not knowing what is around the next corner is when this is turned off, and we are in that primal, reactionary, state of mind that is used by the rest of the animal kingdom on a daily basis just for survival. Personally, I like it when I get to the end of a fast-as-all-hell section of singletrack, I stop, and I can feel my frontal lobe get "switched back on" and I beging to start to think like a human again.

If I were to think like a human on the trail, I've found that through my own experience, that I only get myself into trouble, and that is from OVERthinking everything. Being a pretty analytical guy to beging with, this doesn't help, and if I think something out too much, I find myself wiping off dirt, stitching up wounds, and massaging brusies.

All in all, however, I just get out there and do what feels good. If I wreck, eh....it's part of the job description.

scott

mtbr member
    I love mountain biking.....(drumroll).....

because it's fun!

Walt

Sharp rocks hurt...
    I love everything about mountain biking and thatís what makes me do it.

The thrill (Zooming down the hills)

The challenge (Climbing back up the hills)

The friends (People I meat at races, People I ride with, People on my team)

The Fear (going over big drops for first time on a lightweight XC hardtail)

The Freedom (Being able to go anywhere, without relying on my parents or other ppl)

The focus (Picking lines, making turns, split second decisions and nothing else)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

plain and simple

Total focus. It is the only place/activity I can engauge in where I have 100% focus on the task at hand. Not thinking about work, home, family, politics. Not thinking about what I did last year, week, hour, minute, or what I'll do later today, this week, this month or when I retire.

I'm living for the moment, with 100% focus on what I'm doing. It devoids my mind of all the complicities associated with being a human, at least for a few cherished moments, on a couple days a week.

SlowPokePete

I think for me it all started...

when I was four years old and I learned to ride a two wheeler. I'm forty now, and still love biking, and bikes. As a kid, the speed was awesome and unobtainable in any other way. It also allowed an expansion of my "immediate neighborhood" to a wider range of area.
    Work. Ride. Eat. Sleep.

Repeat.

Metalheadbikerider

For me it is 2 things:

1. Structure/focus-before I got back into mtb'ing after a hiatus. I realized that I really needed something to focus on, and that became training/riding for racing. I feel like I need structure (go figure as I'm almost 100% German) to be satisifed and happy in life.

2. Feeling like a kid! I always find myself hooting and hollering, or making Star Wars like sounds, once I hit that "flow" on the trails. That feeling takes me back to childhood when I leaned a piece of wood against the wagon to jump it, or spent countless hours at the local BMX dirt jumping place. It's a feeling I only seem to get when I am on the bike!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Get off from work . Go back to house in the city its a nice summers evening get on the bike in my garden within an hour im cycling in complete peace with dears as my only company what better way is there to rewind and the feeling you get after you collapse on the sofa after the shower after a LONG cycle is unbeatable

hari kari
    Quote Originally Posted by VA2SLOride
    This is where our little "Truine Brain Effect" comes into play....according to that school of thought, we have the same brain makeup as any other animal, but we have the frontal lobe size advantage which makes us think logically. Screaming down singletrack not knowing what is around the next corner is when this is turned off, and we are in that primal, reactionary, state of mind that is used by the rest of the animal kingdom on a daily basis just for survival. Personally, I like it when I get to the end of a fast-as-all-hell section of singletrack, I stop, and I can feel my frontal lobe get "switched back on" and I beging to start to think like a human again.
    Glad you understood. I thought I was the only one. Man oh man, does this effect ever kick in when I see somebody up ahead that I'm aiming to pass. My eyes get all lit up like a kitten playing with a string. Shoooowee that's fun. Triune effect fully engaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by va2whateverthehell
    If I were to think like a human on the trail, I've found that through my own experience, that I only get myself into trouble, and that is from OVERthinking everything. Being a pretty analytical guy to beging with, this doesn't help, and if I think something out too much, I find myself wiping off dirt, stitching up wounds, and massaging brusies.

All in all, however, I just get out there and do what feels good. If I wreck, eh....it's part of the job description.
    Hell I'll do you one better -- if you're not wrecking, your ass ought to be fired. This ain't no Union gig.

MTBR Mafia
    hey guys,
    thanks for the replies i am now beggining to see the big picture. its really inspiring to hear that you 40 year old still love riding, not to bash on you guys, because i just turned 16 and have been riding every style in my 4 memorable years on my assortment of bikes. I think riding will progress for me past this freeride- downhill fetish into enjoying the lack of stress and just riding ( this will not happen soon i hope).

my girl rides also
    Feb 2005

yes

Hell I'll do you one better -- if you're not wrecking, your ass ought to be fired. This ain't no Union gig.[/QUOTE]

.......now you're talking my language. I have (as well as soooo many others on here I'm sure) been asked in the past the "blah blah why do you do it if you keep f-ing yourself up yadda yadda yadda don't come to work with shorts on if you're going to blah blah blah doesn't it hurt whatever whatever whatever you must be glad you're insured blah blah blah" question. Yes, it gets old trying to attempt to explain to these people what, why, how, and the mental and physical process involved, and the wrecking that ensues.

I tell them to just do it and they'll see for themselves, and hopefully discover the joy....

hari kari
    Quote Originally Posted by VA2SLOride
    .......now you're talking my language. I have (as well as soooo many others on here I'm sure) been asked in the past the "blah blah why do you do it if you keep f-ing yourself up yadda yadda yadda don't come to work with shorts on if you're going to blah blah blah doesn't it hurt whatever whatever whatever you must be glad you're insured blah blah blah" question. Yes, it gets old trying to attempt to explain to these people what, why, how, and the mental and physical process involved, and the wrecking that ensues.

I tell them to just do it and they'll see for themselves, and hopefully discover the joy....
    Preach it, brutha!!! You're good peeps. If you find yourself in Colorado, lemme know. I'm a helluva trail hostess.

hari kari
    hey guys,
    thanks for the replies i am now beggining to see the big picture. its really inspiring to hear that you 40 year old still love riding, not to bash on you guys, because i just turned 16 and have been riding every style in my 4 memorable years on my assortment of bikes. I think riding will progress for me past this freeride- downhill fetish into enjoying the lack of stress and just riding ( this will not happen soon i hope).
    Lemme clue you in cdub: the fun's just beginning for you. I don't know how well you ride, but you'll only get better and love it more. Yes, even when you're 40. In fact, in race series the tougest classes with the best times usually is the male 30-39 expert class. Those twenty year olds can be a bit soft ...

I sh*t you not, I ride with a guy who's 63. He kills guys in their twenties. Climbing and downhill. I'm not exaggerating. He's a fuggin' mountain goat. He used to be a professional motocross racer. Great guy too. To know him and ride with him, a person cannot fear aging. OMG, and his downhill? It's a thing of beauty. The guy carves turns like you cannot believe.

Now more evil for 2005!
    Aug 2004
    Catharsis.
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

life is a barrel o'fun
    "The thing that hooks me on mountain biking is the level of clarity I get while i ride. No matter how crappy your day or your life is, when you are on that trail your entire world shrinks to the line of site in front of you."

Indeed. It's been such a tough year for me personally, but the thought of having a great bike and time to ride is what keeps me going. Non-MTB'ers probably shake their heads and take pity, but you guys get it.

In life, you can be a hard worker and a decent person, and still get screwed over. Riding is simple: The more you do it, the better you get. Just like running, except with more variety. Sure, even great riders crash and get hurt, but that's to be expected. Those wounds heal.

What makes it different from other sports? It doesn't usually require a lot of planning. Grab you bike and go. No lift tickets/ocean/dirt/snow needed. You can spend a couple hundred bucks and still be as satisfied as with a $3,000+ ride.

Also, a bike puts you into a similar position as, say, a cheetah: The way the front tire grabs the terrain, kicking it out from the back wheel.....I once read somewhere that it's similar to the movement of a quadruped. How cool is THAT?!
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast