slack jawed

Went under the knife today

I had surgery this morning to repair a torn meniscus in my left knee. All I can think about is getting back on my bike.

For the past few months my knee has been bothering me. Sometimes, like during a hike, my knee would "pop" and I'd be in terrible pain for a few minutes. After a couple months of trying taking it easy, pain medicine, and physical therapy, I finally had an MRI that showed a tear in my meniscus. This morning I had arthroscopic surgery to repair my knee.

The good news is over the past few months mountain biking did not cause any knee pain. Since i knew I would be laid up after surgery I took a trip to Moab three weeks ago. It was the most riding I've ever done. Day one: Porcupine Rim in the morning and Slickrock in the afternoon. Day two: Amassa Back (taking the secret, super-scary singletrack back down) in the morning and Klondike Bluffs in the afternoon. Day three: Sovereign Trail on the way out of town. It was my first time on Sovereign - - what a great trail. On the way home I was totally exhausted but grinning the whole way.

So, I'm lying in bed right now, and for the next four days. I've got lots of DVDs, a few books, and in grand karmic fashion this month's Dirt Rag showed up in the mail yesterday.

I'll be lurking on the MTBR forums more than usual in the next few weeks. Help keep my passion alive.
    I've got nothing witty to say....

ronbo613
    Cletus-I had my knee scoped a few years ago. Made a huge difference(for the better). Don't rush back to riding, make sure you're healed. Ask your doctor when you can start the rehab. Don't overdo it at first. My knee was about 70-80% a month or six weeks after surgery, it took about 6-8 months to get to 100%. Haven't had any problems since. Good luck with your recovery.

ever forward
    Hope the procedure went well. Good luck with the rehab.
    Never confuse effort with results