Loser

Well we tried (snow ride)

We got 10" of snow about a week ago, then on Friday we had a bit of an ice storm that changed to rain before it ended. Sometimes in these situations we end up with a layer of crust thick enough to hold us up on the bikes, that's a best case scenario. Today was somewhat short of a best case scenario. We had a crust, but it wasn't enough to hold the bikes up, which made for a very long, short ride if that makes any sense. We lowered the pressure on the tires down to probably 15 psi and we did get a bit of float. Little danger of pinch flats since we were rarely moving over 5 mph and there was nothing technical about the ride - no rocks, no ramps, no roots.

Overall a decent winter ride (hey at least we got out).

1) Unsprung coming up. He had a distinct disadvantage (about 70lbs worth of "disadvantage") which meant he didn't get as much float as the rest of us. He was working about 3x harder than the lighter guys.

2,3) DNA finds a little pond in the woods (one of the few bodies of water we found with ice all the way to the edge). He's a really good ice rider (no studs), but even the good guys fall sometimes.... and yeah, I know he's not wearing his helmet.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch
    We got 10" of snow about a week ago, then on Friday we had a bit of an ice storm that changed to rain before it ended. Sometimes in these situations we end up with a layer of crust thick enough to hold us up on the bikes, that's a best case scenario. Today was somewhat short of a best case scenario. We had a crust, but it wasn't enough to hold the bikes up, which made for a very long, short ride if that makes any sense. We lowered the pressure on the tires down to probably 15 psi and we did get a bit of float. Little danger of pinch flats since we were rarely moving over 5 mph and there was nothing technical about the ride - no rocks, no ramps, no roots.

Overall a decent winter ride (hey at least we got out).

1) Unsprung coming up. He had a distinct disadvantage (about 70lbs worth of "disadvantage") which meant he didn't get as much float as the rest of us. He was working about 3x harder than the lighter guys.

2,3) DNA finds a little pond in the woods (one of the few bodies of water we found with ice all the way to the edge). He's a really good ice rider (no studs), but even the good guys fall sometimes.... and yeah, I know he's not wearing his helmet.

John
    I love it when people post pictures.

Belltown Brazer
    Jisch, I hear that West woods is snow free. We're going to do the 13th annual xmas eve ride there Saturday morning. shoot me an email if you would like to join us.

B

lover of trees
    Oct 2005

Good job! Nice pictures!

I love West WOods! How was the ride? Friends might be doing Trumball tomorrow. Our first snow ride was in the beginning of Dec. when we got about 3" or so on Saturday night and we did up Huntington in Bethel. Great times. Gotta love snow riding in the right conditions.

I just studded my tires so now I'm waiting for the temps to drop..

We'll have to meet up for a ride sometime. I just got my new Ventana and its itchin to ride!

Cheers,
    Mike

Loser

Westwood was...

...great. Looking back from this dreary, rainy, cold day it was downright fantastic. There were quite a few riders out, obviously ours was not a unique idea...

Pics from the ride are here:
    Well we tried (snow ride)

It felt good to get the tires on dirt. I'm hoping we'll get a solid freeze tonight and I can ride tomorrow.

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog