Yappy little dog!

Weekend at the Zoo

Ah, the unofficial beginning of Summer, Memorial Day weekend. A day we remember our fallen heroes, though some may have forgotten the true meaning of the Holiday. We say a prayer for those who gave themselves unconditionally for our freedoms. So we pay homage by enjoying those freedoms they died for.

Somehow I managed to score a campsite in Buffalo Creek for the weekend. So, I loaded up the camper and headed for the zoo. It was packed! Still, I had my site.

I was a bit delayed heading out on Friday afternoon. Work and a semi-repaired apartment on wheels didn't give me enough time to get in a ride upon arrival. I also didn't realize that flipping the axle for an added three inches of clearance, meant the stabilizer jack was three inches too short. I bent the jack and rendered it useless. So the camper was on a lean for the entire stay. I got used to it.

Since I had some added daylight, I went to work on dinner. Yeah, I don't camp lightly.

All that starch filled my gut and nearly put me out for the night but, you have to have a fire to make it officially camping.

It was time to turn in. A very hard thing to do given just how special the evening was.

Saturday morning and the one thing I treat myself to only when camping, Cocoa Crispies and WHOLE milk. Puke food for the start of a ride, but I crave them.

Bring on the day! Even with all the people staying in the forest, the place is still empty.

More solitude off the beaten path.

It's the busiest weekend of the year and yet, empty. Ok, there were others, but why would I take their picture? I did offer up directions to about twenty riders. Most of them were at Buffalo Creek for the first time. The scary ones are sans helmet and one tiny bottle of Aquafina tucked into a bottle cage on their Mongoose.

Them: How do we get back to where we are camping?

Me: Where did you come in from?

Them: Over there.

Me: Well, how far do you want to ride? Do you want the short route, medium route, or all day love affair?

Them: Oh, we are good for a while. How far is the medium route?

Me: Twenty miles.

Them: Can we just go back the same way we came?

Me: I can get you there in a shorter distance.

Them: That would be great!

I didn't take the long route either, knowing that tomorrow may be a challenge. I also shot some video, which made the ride a lot longer.

Sunday I thought I'd be smart and make a breakfast burrito. That didn't sit too well. I thought I would need the extra energy to keep up with some friends coming down from Fort Collins. Note to self, stick with a granola bar.

Tim and Barb arrive with their friends. They are all part of the racing scene in Fort Fun and almost exclusively on singlespeeds. Yeah, I kind of knew what I was getting myself into. I don't think I have ever ridden with people who don't stop and rest. Holy smokes! I was good for the first eight miles, but I couldn't keep the pace after that. Still, they waited pretty often for me to catch up and continue the grand tour. Stewart had some amazing bike handling skills. Very impressive!

I don't know many people who make it up this section. He did it on the SS with some hopping trials maneuvers just to make it look easy.

It seems the younger you are, the faster you are. they had constant energy. They wouldn't stop riding and even went back down the hill to check on me, before heading back up again. Whoa!!!

Hey, lets make it a little longer by going up Raspberry Ridge. Stupid me.

Once again, Stewart proved he could ride anything on that rigid SS. We did talk him out of Blackjack, though I think he would have made that look like a walk in the park.

Though I did manage to pull my weight on Sandy Wash (the older I get, the more the downhills are my only salvation), Nice Kitty was a brutal reminder that I am not young. I hate that trail! It sucks the life out of me and even more so, doing it in the middle of the ride in full sun. Yuck! Add to that my Stans failure and the fact that my blood pressure meds work too well, and I was a hurting boy.

The others zoomed on ahead as I finally regained some composure on the Colorado Trail. I'm sure I cost them about an hour, but some beer and burgers made it all better,

I didn't stick around for the zoo release on Monday afternoon.

pin it
    Sweet pics! Looks like a wonderful way to spend the day!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

The 5th knuckle
    Looks like you had a great ride. Haven't seen many CA pictures. Done there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    Looks like you had a great ride. Haven't seen many CA pictures. Done there?
    I don't get too much time during the week to ride in CA. I am trying to avoid staying weekends there. I've actually been in our Henderson, NV office lately since we moved our data center to (YIKES) North Las Vegas. I'll be there weekend after next, but moving more servers. No time for riding, too hot anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    How does the Nice Kitty compare to Baldy and Gashouse?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    How does the Nice Kitty compare to Baldy and Gashouse?
    Going up or down? Going up I would take Baldy or Gashouse any day. For trails on the same side of 543, I would rather go up Shinglemill. Just as open, but shorter. Down Kitty is ok, but not much continuous flow. Too many sharp stupid turns. Also, why go down kitty when there's Sandy Wash? I think the bigger problem was that it was 100F on Kitty that day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    it was 100F on Kitty that day.
    She must've been running a low grade fever ... normal temp is 98.6

All joking aside, great pics and looks like you had an awesome time

SPP
    Rigid.