Yappy little dog!

The Wedge (aka Goodwater) w/pics and vid

What's in a name? Ok, I'll skip the Shakespear and begin my love affair. Love affair with a name? If I could figure out the actual name of this place, I'd probably inscribe it on the back of leg. When we researched the ride, Goodwater seemed to be the common name, then we saw the BLM sign which said The Wedge, then the Little Grand Canyon, and so on. I'm sticking with The Wedge for reasons you'll soon read about.

Mountain bikers tend to throw around the Epic word left and ride. What defines Epic? Is it length, technical features, location, or any combination of the above? I have ridden many "epic" trails, heck I have even helped build some. All of them have their little special characteristics. But, what if I told you that you could finally ride the Grand Canyon? Ok, not the Grand Canyon, but a damn good alternative. What if someone decided to build a 15 mile singletrack around the edge of the canyon? What if on every turn of the bike, the most unbelievable views awaited you? What if you started smiling at the first turn and never stopped?

Do you see that? Are we going to ride around this? You bet!

Fifteen miles of flowy, twisty, turny sigletrack. If you want downhill or technical, this isn't for you. If you want life changing views and the XC ride of your life, you need to be here.

Did you ever get the feeling you weren't the first one here?

So what's the caveat? I mean, there has to be one, right? Yes, you have to really want this one. Enough to drive 21 miles on a dirt road to get there. Bit, it is worth it. VERY worth it.

This is quite possibly the most scenic singletrack ride I have ever been on. Copper Canyon, MX doesn't count (it's not really singletrack).

Here's some video:

mtbr member
    Very cool. I love to hear about trails I've never heard of before. Especially trails that have views like this. Not sure how this one has escaped me before. Thanks for sharing.

Here's the link for where it is and how to get there for those who were wondering (like me).

Space Ghost
    Great video
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Great views for sure!

If I might add, looks like the stabilization is over used.

mtbr member

Added to The List

look foward to doing that one...But what if I told you you could ride 20 miles of single track on the rim of THE Grand Canyon....Rainbow Rim trail, it's got a nice view as well http://www.singletracks.com/bike-tra...html:thumbsup:

powered by peanut butter.
    Beautiful pics and video!

How is the dirt road going to this trail? I'd like to do it when I'm in the area next month, but I'll be in a Camry. Think that'll be good enough, or does the road require a jeep/subaru kind of car? Thanks in advance!
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

fat man on a little bike
    Jul 2008
    The dirt road is great. You can drive +40 mph no problem. I may have driven even faster...
    It might get slippery with rain, but it doesn't rain much (it's raining right now though ). I was told by a local this trail is actually called Lamar's Rim (he was pretty adamant). Not sure what the official title is, but it's worth the drive for sure. Bicycleworks in Price has a good trail map available.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaveOn
    Great views for sure!

If I might add, looks like the stabilization is over used.
    You are right. Had a little trouble with the software, but it was worse without it.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by spwallace2008
    The dirt road is great. You can drive +40 mph no problem. I may have driven even faster...
    It might get slippery with rain, but it doesn't rain much (it's raining right now though ). I was told by a local this trail is actually called Lamar's Rim (he was pretty adamant). Not sure what the official title is, but it's worth the drive for sure. Bicycleworks in Price has a good trail map available.
    And yet another name!

I was doing 60+ in a Chevy Avalanche. Of course, that may have had something to do with getting a new water pump in Grand Junction on the way home . You'll be fine.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I was gonna say that if you liked that trail and thought it was great, you should check out Thunder Mountain Trail for different but equally stunning views and far better singletrack. Then I saw that you already had on your blog, but that you did it in the wrong direction because you thought it was an out'n'back and you hated on it. You're supposed to just do the quick 15 minute ride up the paved trail through Red Canyon (pretty), then it's a rollicking fun, super scenic, mostly downhill wonder ride of fun back to your car. You really deserve to give it a shot in the proper direction if you're in the area again. You can do quite a few rides in the area, with all the XC loops they have at BrianHead. The turnoff for Casto Canyon is almost right across the way from Thunder Mountain, that was a fun scenic, ride, albeit more technical than Thunder Mountain. It is out of the way, but then Moab is pretty out of the way if you're only going there to do one ride...
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac