mtbr member

Way OT - Photo John or any other photobugs: question

Looking at a photo printer and I think I've narrowed it down to the Canon i900D or the Epson Photo Stylus R300M. Do you have any comments or thoughts on these printers or others?

I want to be able to print at least 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10. I understand the Epson can do panoramics up to 44" long (128" with some programs!) but not sure if the Canon can do that.

Any thoughts or comments on a digital printer? Thanks.

(bike content: I want to be able to print bike pictures!)
    Last edited by skiahh; 04-04-2004 at 01:11 PM.

Aussie Bob

Photo printer

Hi I have the Epson Photo R300 the only difference to R300m is the m has a small LSD screen atachment so you can preview photos without a computer the print quality is the same , prints wonderful pics almost can not tell them from real photos . Uses 6 differnt indvidual color ink tanks for better skin tones hope this helps

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Trust ME I worked at Office Depot and extesively researched online to see which one is better. Even took some high resolution images and compared them. All I have to say is that Epson has everything going for it........epson has so many different papers for it online. And bulk in up the @$$. And when it comes down to it Canon uses heat transfer=BAD, and Epson doesn't. Meaning that with the right ink Epson is completly water proof. I even poored water on a photo at work and wiped it off after a min. or so with a tissue and the ink stayed on. And when you print with the epson the ink doesnt have to dry because when it hits the paper its already dry. Unlike heat transfer ones. That and you will go through printheads with heat transfer if you print alot and dont let it kool down. Damn i'm ranting LOL. If you don't think I know what i'm talking about check you my work at www.pbase.com/ianbmw

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Canon is NOT heat transfer

Canon I900D is ink jet.

Quit your ranting and look at:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCpr...&section=10214

skiahh, if you can, take an image you like to a dealer and print it on both printers with a paper that you like and see for yourself which combination you like. There are a lot of variables such as print speed, color quality, print quality that will vary even among printers from the same manufacturer.

Both printers are 6 color. The Epson as you mentioned will print to 44". You are not locked into using their own papers or inks as some people would have you believe. What it comes down to, is that you have a lot of choices. I use an Epson 1280 which is dedicated to B&W inks(non-Epson) and I use a variety of different papers.

Bike content: My Kelly fork comes tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Ian - thanks for your input on the Epson. I appreciate it.

As for taking your word... well, you kind of shot yourself in the foot as far as just taking your at your word by your adamant dig on Canon as a heat transfer printer when it's an inkjet, too. I think I've narrowed my choices down so I can make an apple to apple comparison between the two printers.

steelbike - good idea about taking a file down and printing if off both printers. Hadn't thought of that.

old timer retro grouch...
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBMW
    Trust ME I worked at Office Depot and extesively researched online to see which one is better. Even took some high resolution images and compared them. All I have to say is that Epson has everything going for it........epson has so many different papers for it online. And bulk in up the @$$. And when it comes down to it Canon uses heat transfer=BAD, and Epson doesn't. Meaning that with the right ink Epson is completly water proof. I even poored water on a photo at work and wiped it off after a min. or so with a tissue and the ink stayed on. And when you print with the epson the ink doesnt have to dry because when it hits the paper its already dry. Unlike heat transfer ones. That and you will go through printheads with heat transfer if you print alot and dont let it kool down. Damn i'm ranting LOL. If you don't think I know what i'm talking about check you my work at www.pbase.com/ianbmw
    Ummmm, heat transfer? Noooooo. Not sure where you researched that tidbit.
    Also, even if you had posted amazing images at pbase that would still be meaningless. I know pro photographers who do great work but don't know an Epson 2200 from a dot matrix. I also know tech geeks who designed these same printers who could not take a decent picture if you framed and light it for them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    HP says they are ink jet but use heat transfer too. Its not exactly something a manufacturer is going to post on their website btw. You may want to ask well Ian how do you know. Well because Epson reps would come to OD all the time telling us about it and giving us info about how they use heat. Anyways if they were lying to me than I believe HP and Canon would have a big dispute over Epson reps and their slander. When im talking about heat transfer btw im not talking about like a Mitsu style printer....its a totally different consept. Oh and when I printed comparisions I noticed Epson was good with people and had good skin tones while canon was a tad bit sharper when it came to printing buildings and such.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Canon has dye sub and ink jet printers

HP says they are ink jet but use heat transfer too. Its not exactly something a manufacturer is going to post on their website btw. You may want to ask well Ian how do you know. Well because Epson reps would come to OD all the time telling us about it and giving us info about how they use heat. Anyways if they were lying to me than I believe HP and Canon would have a big dispute over Epson reps and their slander. When im talking about heat transfer btw im not talking about like a Mitsu style printer....its a totally different consept. Oh and when I printed comparisions I noticed Epson was good with people and had good skin tones while canon was a tad bit sharper when it came to printing buildings and such.
    Ian, please tell us the difference.

Perhaps you just didn't understand what the reps were saying. I doubt if OD is the pinnacle of digital imaging.

Bike content: There's a great looking pink/white Vulture in the SS forum

old timer retro grouch...
    One caution when printing test shots. The colors will all look different depedning on the profile used. People spends tons of money on getting their printers/monitors/cameras all on the same page when it comes to color. Its a lot like walking in Circuit City and determining what TV has the best picture. Well unless you take the time to calibrate them all the same its not an apples to apples comparison (and yes they do try and make some look bad to sell more $$ models).

So test shots are a very good idea, but don't make too strong a conclusion about color from them.