mtbr member

water consumption and cramps

This has always been an issue with me, but I figured I would ask the group for any advice since it occured again today. Granted it was 97 when I headed out for a road ride but its the usual no matter what the temp. I seem to get upper abdominal cramps even after a few chugs of water. I end up just using it to wet my mouth and then spit it out. Obviously staying hydrated is key, I dont tend to bonk without water, but know I need more. Does anyone have any ideas, like should I pre hydrate, try something other than water etc etc?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have no idea if this actually works because I have never had cramping problems but, I worked with a guy that used to be a pro football player. One evening when we sat down to eat he downed a T spoon of mustard. When I asked what the hell he was doing he said it kept the cramps away.He said he used to have to do it when he played ball also. Worth a try.

Am I getting too bulky?
    I work outside all day, I own my own lawn care company, and I gotta tell you, prehydrating is key. I hat's why boxers aren't allowed to swallow the water during a match, but instead spit it out. Boxers basically dehydrate to make weight too. Small frequent sips are key, at least when you're already dehydrated, and till you stomach can tolerate bigger drinks.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

Geritol Power
    I have cramping problems too. My toes cramp late in a hard motocross ride, sometimes after I stop. I have good results if I prehydrate as early as possible. Water pre, Gatorade during and after the ride. I think you're drinking too much, too fast or it's cold water to give you stomach cramps.

Good luck,

Chris

mtbr member
    What works for me is staying hydrated all the time (drink water throughout the day, everyday), 90 mg Potassium tablet at breakfast, V8 before the ride then water and a sport drink (Cytomax) during the ride. If the ride is really long I'll bring along a small can of V8, another Potassium tablet. This has worked well for me to avoid leg cramps.

TD (not a doctor, so consult yours)
    Last edited by TDİ; 06-09-2004 at 05:44 PM. Reason: clarify that this works for leg cramps

I love Pisgah
    An old backpacker saying that applies to mtbing bigtime. "Most, upon arriving at the trailhead, are already dehydrated to a fair degree before even starting down the trail". Our hydration "system" is lacking. Its said we are already 25% dehydrated before we even feel thirsty. Yup. Thats why its good to drink before you feel the need, cause by then your already behind. When I have a race coming up, I start hydrating 2 days before. When I'm racing I'm using duluted Acceleraid or Cytomax. After the fact I'll drink some recovery drink mix with some protein(yuck by the way).

pewpewpew Moderator
    I get stomach cramps if i drink too much at once, or eat too much before riding. For me food is more of a culprit. I do best, as many have said here, by prehydrating, and then taking little tiny sips frquently rather than stop n chug. This is why I like having a camelback.

Duckman, I'm wierd but I actually don't mind recovery drinks. Not that i'd use it as a mixer or anything, but they taste ok to me. I've just started using them though.

I love Pisgah
    Well, to be fair about the recovery drink, my teammate from the Pisgah death march race gave be a full can of Endurox R4 in Lemon Lime about 6 weeks ago. Its "ok" if its with lots of ice and cold. Otherwise...well, I know why he gave it to me. In contrast, I like Cytomax in Pink Lemonaid, as well as Fruit Punch Acceleraid.

Geritol Power
    I too drink V8 juice and eat a banana or oranges instead of eating lunch while riding. A friend of mine gave me a six-pack of SoBe juices, these were the energy ones in the soft cartons. Those things really work! I think I read some endurance athlete dude in Germany concocted the mix.

I'd buy more of those in a snap if I could find them. Other moto guys I ride with drink Redbull, they say it keeps away the arm pump. Arm pump is not my weakness, I'm just lazy and crampy.

Chris

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Endurolytes

Use these as directed and you will never cramp again. I used to cramp all the time, but when I use them, I never do:

http://www.e-caps.com/products/detai...rolytes&sku=EL

MTBR.com Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    I get stomach cramps if i drink too much at once, or eat too much before riding. For me food is more of a culprit. I do best, as many have said here, by prehydrating, and then taking little tiny sips frquently rather than stop n chug. This is why I like having a camelback.

Duckman, I'm wierd but I actually don't mind recovery drinks. Not that i'd use it as a mixer or anything, but they taste ok to me. I've just started using them though.
    I recently tried out the Cytomax stuff. Not bad. My first experience with it was at Sea Otter. I was able to ward of cramps until near the very end when I got back on the race track. I think it was the sudden change in temperature and wind chill from higher speeds on the final leg. It all of a sudden felt really cold to me once I hit the track.
    When bopping around on regular rides it's water in the camelback and gatorade mixed at home in the water bottles.
    Word of warning! Don't leave any sport drink mix in your camel back overnight (or like I did for several days). It will basically ruin the resevoir (sp?). I cleaned mine with the cleaning tablets 3 times and still didn't come completely clean. I had to replace mine.
    [SIZE=1]
    Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

[/SIZE]

mtbr member

enduralytes thumbs-up

I agree with the above post. On my last endurance race, I cramped hard after the 2nd lap. My teammate who was not on the course gave me 2 enduralytes, which he as a long-time endurance racer uses, and it was like a miracle. The cramps never came back, even after 2 more laps. Those little white pills rock!
    If you are only as old as you feel, I'm 101

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger
    This has always been an issue with me, but I figured I would ask the group for any advice since it occured again today. Granted it was 97 when I headed out for a road ride but its the usual no matter what the temp. I seem to get upper abdominal cramps even after a few chugs of water. I end up just using it to wet my mouth and then spit it out. Obviously staying hydrated is key, I dont tend to bonk without water, but know I need more. Does anyone have any ideas, like should I pre hydrate, try something other than water etc etc?
    I had a simiilar problem and found it was because I was drinking ice cold water. If you are, try drinking lukewarm water or sportsdrink and see if it helps.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My roommate...

plays a lot of racquetball and he finds the temps on court can cause cramps, to the point where he is incapacitated. Not a pretty site.
    He finds that drinking tonic water (mixer in the alcohol section of the grocery store) helps a lot. It is the quinine that helps. Unfortunately you can't buy quinine tablets any more over the counter. I don't think you can overdose on drinking tonic water. Not sure how drinking it while riding will work though.
    So I'm guessing dosing up before might help.
    Hope this helps.

P.S. I am soon to be a doc, but not an MD :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by memine
    Use these as directed and you will never cramp again. I used to cramp all the time, but when I use them, I never do:

http://www.e-caps.com/products/detai...rolytes&sku=EL
    I've used these with great success as well. In hotter weather they are a must. Experiment with the doseage as too many seems to make me REALLY thirsty.

Goat of Legend
    I do alot of endurance riding myself and do not hydrate like I should either. I used to cramp all the time by just using water in the camelbak and Gatorade in a bottle along with gels. I have since learned this is a flawed thinking and due to some research have learned to keep the cramps away even though I still don't hydrate enough.

I try to drink at least a half gallon of any liquid such as water or juice the day before and eating a mix of cabos and protein for dinner the night before. A good rice, black bean, and chicken burrito always sets me up nice for a long next day ride.
    The morning of I try to eat a good hearty breakfast usually 2 pieces of french toast light on the syrup, a bannana and some other fruit. Juice during breakfast and two 8 ounce glasses of water afterwards.

For during rides, I now avoid gels. Unless you are properly hydrated and most of us are not when riding, gels can steal away moisture from your body and tend to dehydrate you even more. I use Accelerade in the Camelbak, 5 scoops to 100 oz with the Blue Rasberry. Used to be 7 scoops to the 100 oz with Lemon Lime but Blue Rasberry is so strong it needs a little dilution for my taste. To much like pure kool aid powder. I also use Balance Bars and usually pack a pack of Cheese n peanut Butter crackers or a apple to give a change.

bonkin' clyde

Try to regulate your intake

Quote Originally Posted by Slugger
    Don't drink too much water at once....BTW, in that weather, I wouldn't ever go without some good electrolyte-containing drinks like Gatorade, etc.....Its crucial to replace the potassiam and sodium in your body...I didn't and wow, I would start vomiting, the earth would start tilting...It still hasn't been diagnosed but its scary coz I start falling and can't control it because of what my eyes are seeing...always a result of dehydration....never gulp water in ultra-hot weathr coz its gonna give you cramps for sure...ever see LA or Travis Brown in a road/trail side mini-interview? If you see 'em drink water, its always a fast sip, not a big gulp....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    great advice so far, and my .02 is a much smaller effect, but alot of times taking a drink of water throws the rythm off, and is why some people get cramps in their abdomen. In through your nose and out through your mouth in a very regular beat helps to avoid sidecramps. Pre-hydrating and lots of potassium, or other salt compounds are 1st, but this should also help out a good deal.
    Last edited by fantom1; 06-12-2004 at 09:52 AM.

mtbr member

Not so sure about SoBe...

Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    I too drink V8 juice and eat a banana or oranges instead of eating lunch while riding. A friend of mine gave me a six-pack of SoBe juices, these were the energy ones in the soft cartons. Those things really work! I think I read some endurance athlete dude in Germany concocted the mix.

I'd buy more of those in a snap if I could find them. Other moto guys I ride with drink Redbull, they say it keeps away the arm pump. Arm pump is not my weakness, I'm just lazy and crampy.

Chris
    Are these something different than the SoBe drinks you can find in bottles?

The SoBe bottled drinks aren't anything special. They play up the "herbal" ingredients on the labelling and try to pass themselves off as "energy drinks", but if you look at the ingredients you'll find it's not much different than your average cola. Primary ingredients: water, high-fructose corn syrup. Nothing special there...

They are pretty tasty though .

-Trevor
    Last edited by TrevorInSoCal; 06-12-2004 at 01:04 AM. Reason: i kant spel vry gud