Praying for rain!
    Jan 2006

Wanting to ride the Inca trail...

I know someone here has done it. Any advice. We are looking for first class trips. The ones where you just ride and they do everything else, but we still want an earthy experience. Thanks- Kayakguy

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    I haven't done it, but went to a presentation about the trip last week, check out this thread for more details.

MTBing Peru Multimedia show - Western Canada and U.S. tour

BTW, if you want rain we can send you some of ours. We've had record rain falls this fall & winter.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I have very extensive experience, I have done 11 trips on various sections of Inca and Pre-Inca trails over the last four years. My company, Pocoloco tours, specializes in exactly what you are looking for. I have ridden all over the country, the Incan trail network, called the Capaq-nan, actually extends over 1500 miles, from ecuador to Bolivia, with spurs going west and east, towards the coast, and down in to the junge.
    You cannot ride the 'classic' Inca trail to Macchu Picchu, BTW. It is strictly forbidden. That being said, I know of a few hundred miles of trail in the general region, around Cuzco and the Sacred Valley. My trips are totally catered...breakfast, hot lunches, 2-3 star hotels, a gastronomic tour of the finest restaurants in the region, and other amenities, If you so desire.
    My trips in the Cuzco area (I can arrange first class trips anywhere in the country, with reliable guides, transportation, mechanics, etc) generally are 8-9 days, with everything included, hotels, meals, guides, busses, etc, starting at around $2000 per person.
    (there are some variables that could push this price up or down, depending).
    Please feel free to PM me for more details...Iong CC days, I can tailor to whatever the group's preferences may be.
    I am arranging a trip for the first week in May, if you are interested, if you search 'Peru' here, you will find many of my posts. I will find some and link them with more finite descriptions and photos ASAP. I also have a few professionally produced feature pieces about my group that have been shown on peruvian television, if you speak any spanish, I have DVD's available.

Anyone want to come and ride in Peru?

(This last one is at 16,500 feet, FWIW!)

Last edited by rideit; 01-29-2007 at 06:35 PM.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Wow. Tempting.

Praying for rain!
    Jan 2006
    Craig, this is just the sort of thing I am looking for. If you don't mind just a few questions on the open forum, them I may PM you...

Do you provide bikes or do we bring our own? From the pics it looks like a cc dualie would be ideal.

When is the best time to go? Obviously May must be nice, but that is a little short notice.

Do you garuntee the bikini clad women? If so, how many? (JK, I will be with my beautiful wife.)

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Kayak, it is nearly impossible to rent a decent bike in the entire country, best to bring a 4-6" dually.
    I can guarantee the bikini clad chicas, BTW

Seriously, anyone interested, please feel free to contact me. I can put together the trip of a lifetime.
    Oh, as a bonus, I can also arrange a 'rest' day or two on 2-5 class rapids, If that floats your boat. As well as a day at Machu Picchu, of coarse.
    Last edited by rideit; 01-30-2007 at 07:50 AM.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    I think that Kayakguy has asked for real Inca trails. The photos on this topic are mostly from Viņac, a town 6 hours from Lima and I think those trails are not Inca.

I suggest you to put in contact with Mike Brcic of Sacred Rides ( www.sacredrides.com ).

I'm working very closely with them to offer the best MTB adventure over real Inca Trails. Rideit said that it's not allowed to ride on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, but he doesn't knows that it's possible to ride a section of that trail that startas in Cusco and crosses many Inca sites along its way through the Sacred Valley.

We are also offering to ride the main Inca trail (the principal, the CAPAC=principal ŅAN=road) that goes from Ecuador to Argentina, but just the part from Andahuaylas to Cusco. There's only one Capac Ņan, please don't confuse people on this.

I post a topic a few weeks ago of this incredible trip in : XC on Inca Trails - Amazing Trip in Peru!

We are real mountain bikers and we know how to do this type of tours the best possible.

I suggest to put in contact with sacred rides, they have a complete description of the tour and they can help you with your trip. If you want to come in other dates, feel free to contact me.

For the downhillers, I want to say that I have just returned from a trip that we have made almost 30,000 meters of pure vertical DH. I passed very good days with some canadian pros riding all the trails on the Andes Peruanos!

Well, I think that you have now 2 alternatives for your trip to Peru. It's great to have this open forum to ask for the best possible.

Sincerely yours,

Eduardo Stein
    Last edited by wayodh; 01-30-2007 at 08:10 AM.
    ride the best Inca trails in Peru: www.inkasadventures.com

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    True, Eduardo, those were just the best images I had available to load. Good eye.
    I have a few hundred from our Cuzco trips, just not available from the DVD's this minute.

Some of those images are from Huaraz as well, (punto Olympico)

Vinac is also an excellent trip all on it's own, combined with a Tauripampa and Olleros day, or Huamantanga.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    That's right!
    Anyway are good pics you have posted. I hace reacently been in Abancay, Cusco, Colca Canyon, Puerto Inca and Huaraz. Hopfully we didn't get the rain. We raced an Avalanche race in Maras, Cusco and I ended 5th. My guests from Canada ended 3rd, 4th, 8th and 9th.

In Huaraz we didnīt went to Punta Olimpica because we just ride on singletracks. We try not to ride over dirty roads because they are dangerous because of the big trucks, and of course we don't want to eat the trucks dust.

I recommend to do the trails in Lake LLaca and Lake Churup in Huaraz. They start over 4,000 meters and descends directly to the main square of Huaraz.

And Huamantanga is no longer a good trip because they have built a dirty road. I suggest you to go a little bit higher to Villa Quipan. From there you have a 3,000 meters of vertical DH and it's 100% singletrack. Be careful with the forks on the trail, there are several.

Sincerely yours,

Eduardo
    ride the best Inca trails in Peru: www.inkasadventures.com

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Just to be clear, I am very aware of all of the trails Eduardo has mentioned, and have ridden them with groups. I know of hundreds of KM's of singletrack in the Cusco/Sacred Valley area, and my trips are 80% singletrack, wherever possible!

Also, the Punto Olympico road is a novelty for Gringos...there really isn't anywhere to ride that high in the upper 50 (or Canada)...HOWEVER, there is some great singletrack on the backside leading all the way down into yungay, making for an incredible day. There is tons around Huaraz, one excellent ST is Honda Pass to Chacas, as well as all the stuff around town.

PS: Eduardo, I ride with the old goats, 'Los Chicos Malos', I am sure you know who I am talking about! As well as Mateo and his crew in Cuzco, and of course Julio in Huaraz. I think we may have met once at the dirt jumps in Pachacamac, I am 'El Gringo Huevon!'

In the last few years we have done trips in Huaraz, Trujillo, Cajamarca, Cajabamba, Andahuaylas-Abancay-Cuzco, Arequipa-Cotahuasi, Cusco-Valle Sagrado, Vinac, and of course the long DH's along the coast. Millions of miles of singletrack, the more you look, the more you find!
    Last edited by rideit; 01-30-2007 at 10:57 AM.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Hey Rideit,

are you still doing tours in Ecuador. I may be there for a couple of days in April and would love to do some spectacular runs. Would be great to touch base.

Cheers

Matthias

High Desert MTBer
    Wow, Inca Trail Wars! I wonder what happened with this thread? Did Kayakguy ever make it to Peru? Are the tour companies fighting over his business still? Right around the time these posts were made, my sister went on an organised hiking trip to Macchu Pichu. One night when they were camping out on the trail they were attacked by bandits who tied them all up, beat up a couple of them, and stole all their belongings. It was suspected as being an 'inside job', but I wonder if that sort of thing was ever advertised by the tour companies? I suspect not...

mtbr member
    Don't forget that the bars in Cuzco stay open until 5. One too many Pisco Sours at 13k and you'll be wishing you were at the beach instead! ;-)

PRETENDURO
    Frank, baby!!!

QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

High Desert MTBer
    Zappa, puts 'em all to shame!