mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Wanting to get into MTB racing.... But I have no idea where to start!?

Hey ya'll,

so I ride daily.... And find that I am a gravity junky..... But I also like the climb. I know there are downhill races... But I am not yet ready or have the right bike to race DH, and I know there is Cross country races.... But all of the cross country trails that I ride on while I enjoy..., are quite enough to satisfy my crazy side. There has got to be other types of MTB racing out there right??? I would say I am rather new still I have only been riding MTB for a few years but has always raced Bmx.... And I miss racing? (I am also a women rider not sure if that makes a difference)

so for all of you out there that race...how did you get started?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Racing is about having fun first, followed by challenging yourself to improve. I have done some local races (time trials and a metric century) and recently did an XTerra (really enjoyed it). All were great and a bunch of fun. best part for me was just being around like minded people. I personally would look around to local races and just go for it and have fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ya the fun of racing is what I miss! I just don't know what kind of MTB racing there is? Besides the obvious cross country and downhill

Rock n' Roller
    I did my first XC endurance race just a week ago and had an absolute blast. It really wasn't a beginners race (realized that on mile 32) and I was in the back of the pack most of the way, but I don't think anyone else was having more fun.

The best advice that I can give is find races local to you, races where you know the trails and of course, love the trails. Train hard, have fun, and be the type of person you would want to race with. Everything else is just a learning process.

I'm really in love with longer, endurance type XC racing. I'm not really awesome at one particular thing, but I'm good at being average for very long distances

There are also race series that can be a blast. At my local mountain, they do a series of races over the course of a few weeks that feature different skills. One is more XC style, some are more downhill, others are a bit in between. Those are rather awesome and not too serious. I tend to avoid the "big, serious" races like the plague, though. Nothing like a few hundred elbowing sandbaggers to ruin a perfectly perfect day of fun.

A lot of races get classified as XC or downhill, but they really fall somewhere in between. Take a look at the race itself and the terrain. Know what you like to ride and find races that align with those values; more importantly, keep having a blast.

mtbr member
    I'd check the local bike shops for local info or fliers. Try to pre ride the course, just go to sign up and smile and say I'm new (go early). They will welcome you and figure out your class. Be a courteous racer passing and being passed. That's it! I have never raced Mountain bikes, I am a racer but I think it's all the same. Have fun.

It's about showing up.
    Super D?
    I don't rattle.

Gotta pay to play
    Sounds like you'd like Enduro racing.

Beginners Guide to Enduro: What the hell is it? - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    I see you're in Boise. Gotta' be lots of options where you live ... lucky duck!

Your local mtb groups may organize events and would be a good place to start:

BAMBA ? Boise Area Mountain Bike Association
    CIMBA ? Home of the Central Idaho Mountain Bike Association
    Home | Mountain Bike Idaho
    Our Mission | SWIMBA ? Southwest Idaho Mountain Biking Association

It's pretty easy to start racing. Find an event that sounds like a good match for your abilities and interests, create a login ID and sign up (and pay). There'll be rules about gear required--like a helmet--but it's pretty simple to do that first race.

Go for it!
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Enduro, Super D. Both are a kick in the pants.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ooops, thought I was still on my local forum. DELETE

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Awesome guys thank you! I have been looking into both! Just excited to get into a new level of MTBing and be around people that enjoy it as we'll!!!

bikerbert

Wanting to get into MTB racing.... But I have no idea where to start!?

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    Super D?
    +1, great call.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    There are a ton of good MTB organizations and group in my area!