Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Walking back to the car passion

Well....after over 20 years riding, I finally had a walk out. ~5 miles. Ouch. The light/fast mentality I used didn't work out so well. Cut a tire with only a single CO2 and my sealant just wouldn't hold it - normally I have a tube/CO2/extra sealant etc. Had to shed the shoes and walk barefoot. Never again. But to be honest, it was a nice day and it was peaceful...helped me work out some stuff that I had going on that week.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

PRETENDURO
    I ride to/from my actual rides (trailheads) between 6 - 10 miles. I do this for about 95% of my rides. What sucks worse than having to walk back to the car is having to walk 10 miles back home. Iíve learned to carry unnecessary amounts of spares with me (packmule style) on my rides. I am under the impression that this extra weight adds to the intensity of my workout (and henceforth, adding to my overall strength/endurance workout) but no government-funded research follows my logic.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

100.oz minimum
    Mar 2013
    First walkout in over 20 years! You're pretty lucky. I too, have been riding over 20 years & have had numerous walkouts. Everything from breaking my frame, rear derailler ending up in my rear spokes with a broken derailler hangar, a crank brothers mini pump that didn't work worth a crap, crankarm coming loose & a few more i can't remember. Once in twenty years ain't bad, lol.
    -always thinking about the next ride-

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear, but can't seem to figure out why you needed to walk barefoot???

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Experience is the cruelest teacher of all.

pin it
    The first time I rode solo, I flatted and didn't have all my supplies. The trail was within riding distance from home but I still had to walk approx 8km (5miles). I learned not to ride alone unless I was fully prepared or to ride with someone else and split the gear
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

The White Jeff W

Re: Walking back to the car passion

I had one this spring when I broke a chainstay. Fortunately I was only a mile from the car and it was all downhill.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post

SPP
    I'm guessing he had the clipless pedal shoes on which are uncomfortable to walk 5 miles in more than likely?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    I'm guessing he had the clipless pedal shoes on which are uncomfortable to walk 5 miles in more than likely?
    Worse than barefoot for 5 ?

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I ride to/from my actual rides (trailheads) between 6 - 10 miles. I do this for about 95% of my rides. What sucks worse than having to walk back to the car is having to walk 10 miles back home. Iíve learned to carry unnecessary amounts of spares with me (packmule style) on my rides. I am under the impression that this extra weight adds to the intensity of my workout (and henceforth, adding to my overall strength/endurance workout) but no government-funded research follows my logic.
    You are not kidding. When I lived in the UK, I rode 17 miles to the trailhead and would be often 60 miles from home. I have had to walk 20 miles back home, once. Lesson learned.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post

SPP
    Second ride in new shoes...the heel blister was so bad after the first mile I said @#$# it, and did it barefoot..much more comfy.

mtbr member
    Rode by the rock that got me today...had all my crap with me today!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I broke my leg riding and I rode out 8 miles part of the time with one leg. I did not know it was broke until I got to the ER

mtbr member
    Luckily it was only about 2 miles to walk out...

jrm
    mtbr member
    Have you ever had to beg a bus driver to let you on the bus b/c all you had on you was a 1/2 full water bottles and a Mojo Bar? I use superfeet insoles to keep my feet from moving around in the shoes.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    I haven't had a walk-out in quite a while because I'm just that good of a mechanic

I did however go OTB this weekend. It was a good ride!
    The cake is a lie.

Trail Prospector
    Unfortunately, I've had more than my share of H.A.B.'s, to the point of carrying a ridiculously large pack.
    Friends often laugh & tease when the feel just how heavy it is, yet when shiite happens, I can usually get myself out.

Last Friday, I had a brake pad disintegrate, and had to disable the rear brake. After reading a thread here by some weight weenie about removing his rear brake to save weight, I decided to still ride, but it was absolutely no fun.
    Sandy corners, switchbacks, and short steep grades all scared the crap outta me,
    and now I know just how big a fool this intentionally brake-less w/w idiot really is..
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    snapped a cone that wound down into my bearings (rear wheel non drive side)....

took me a few minutes to figure out what happened - then about 2 seconds to realize I couldn't do jack to fix it as I was not carrying cone wrenches....

had to carry the damn bike for over 3 miles because the back wheel was seized...

the worst part was the other MBT'rs I saw commented it was funny that a rigid SS was 'broken'....dammit
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

MTB B'dos
    Absolutely 110% agree, always over prepared so I can fix just about anything and not have to walk. Have had 2 walks in my 9 years MTBing, once when I snapped my RD and the suspension design on the them rip9 wouldn't allow SS to work - walked about 3-4 miles before I got to the road and bummed a lift home which would have been an additional 5 miles. Other time was really PO'd and just hoped on the bike and headed out without a pump, burped my tubeless front tyre because it only had in about 15 PSI when I headed out, nice 4 mile walk back

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I carry a lot of stuff in my Mule(bike multi-tool, tubes, Co2(2), pump, first aid kit, food, compass, chain link, tire levers, TP, extra bite valve, der hanger, spare car key, bug spray, patch kit). Most of it gets used on riders like the OP

Walked out a few times. Always from rear der eating sticks. Once because a buddy crashed and had to walk him out(you could see the bone!)

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    snapped a cone that wound down into my bearings (rear wheel non drive side)....

took me a few minutes to figure out what happened - then about 2 seconds to realize I couldn't do jack to fix it as I was not carrying cone wrenches....

had to carry the damn bike for over 3 miles because the back wheel was seized...

the worst part was the other MBT'rs I saw commented it was funny that a rigid SS was 'broken'....dammit
    Similarly, the drive side cone on an old Shimano rear hub of mine broke loose and wound down into the bearing and the hub cracked all the way across, cone-to-cone. It did not split in half, though. Rolled it backwards to unlock it, but it still wasn't rideable.

I am pretty sure that no matter how prepared one may be, at some point you are gonna walk.

My Mom and Dad came out to watch me race once and my Dad was all set up on a good corner with the camera. When I got there I was walking. My front tire had gotten a slow leak during practice, then rolled off the rim on an off-camber descent about 1/2 way through. I crashed pretty good and ruined the rim bead.
    Walking back to the car passion-rptt0801.jpg

-Twisted chain. I carry extra lengths, but not enough for that time. 4 mile walk.
    -Broken ankle at the top of Windy Gap trail (not while riding). At least it was downhill to the parking lot, except the last 100 yds.
    -Snapped off handlebar stem dirt jumping (12 years old). 5 mile partial walk home - the binder bolt was still holding so I could ride it on the flats.
    -Tore the rear tire on our tandem. Buddy picked us up about 1/2 way back to camp.

I would trade the broken ankle in a heart beat, but the experiences are what makes it all real.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've had my share of strolling in the woods with my bike but one incident stands out among the rest: Blew a rear tire pre-riding a section of trail with my son before all the families showed up for the kids group ride. Getting close to roll-out time I had to have my son continue back to the trail head and tell them I'd catch up shortly. Make it back past the car and grab another spare tube before catching up with them. We make it another mile and my tire goes flat again, this time the group (12+) has to wait while I do the bolt on axle dance. Use it as a learning experience for the kids and one of the other dad's describes the process to the kids as I work away. Up and rolling again with my last spare. Another mile in I go flat again and have to bum a tube. This time one guy stays behind with me while the rest of the kids and parents keep going. Up and running again only to flat a couple hundred yards away. I end up doing the walk of shame from the kids ride a little over 2 miles back to the car, while they kept on going. Had to wait over an hour for my son and the group to get back. Chatted up a few people while waiting and the story got more amusing each time.

Turns out the old tire on the used bike (new to me) was extremely loose on the rim. I tore the stem off the tube all 4 times since the tire was sliding on the bead. The small hand pump was not putting out enough psi to seat it tight, which I figured out during my extended wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Walked out 3 miles last week. At the very top of the climb, on the decent side, blew a bead and realized I had forgotten my pump in my other bag. Several riders rode by and not one single offer for help. I asked a couple guys, but nobody had a pump.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I walked out almost 2 miles my first ride after going tubeless. I guess I didn't let it sit and seal right and was running too low of a pressure and after a crash burped out a lot of air. Tried riding it down a hill after walking some and burped out the rest. I didn't have my hand pump presta converter valve. It was laaammeee. However, I haven't had problems since and I love the tubeless set up now.

Rogue Exterminator
    My walkouts

First ride, new bike- Stem came loose from the steerer tube and wouldn't tighten back down.
    Apparently there was too much grease in it. A few miles

Crash- bent frame, fork, a little bruised. Actually was riding out carefully but came up to a park ranger and hitched a ride. Good thing because it was probably close to 10 miles.

Flat tire on my way back to the car. Had the stuff to change it but was only about a mile from the car so I decided to walk it out.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast