Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vomit comet.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Vomit comet.

Let's start this one of with a riding pic, eh?

A feature named "Tusk" by the builder/other locals. It's about two tire width up top, narrowing to one at the bottom. The pic only shows the upper half. If you come off of it, you're going down. Hard. I hear there is a local who nose wheelies down the thing.
    Nature can sometimes deal a crappy hand.

As when being this guy, who managed to get himself stuck in the middle of the trail. We avoided running him over, and gently scooted him a bit to the side.

Had a decent few days off over the last weekend. Hit up some more local goods, and checked out a few places over the border in N.Y. Some excellent trail. Tight and twisty, with some things that will put the hurt on if you aren't careful.

Lost parts #45067

This one doesn't look that bad in the pic, but the run in is shyte, the landing is area is loose rocks covered in leaves, and it's STIL.

Another showcasing of my need to learn more photo technique in the woods.

Rock crawling.

It's done. And what a pain in the ass the whole thing was. I'm even starting to learn to honk at other drivers now.

The humidity of summer is giving way to leaf slicked trails and cooler air. The locals assure me all winter long is ride time, so long as you don't mind layering up. It's apparantly much like the front range in the snow department. Little bits now and again that tend to melt after a few days.

The odd things you find on trail.

Bite in. The abundant ethnic bakeries all over the place are keeping me busy, and in ride food. A little tiramisu, anyone?

I headed up north a few days ago, to hook up two state parks via the Metacomet trail. Metacomet is an east coast word that means "steep without switchbacks" or something along those lines. Much, much STIL.

The Metacomet is a trail not originally intended for bikes. Yeah. Short steep up/down/up/down/up/down was the order of the day. Out on the yellow trail, back in on the blue. Easy, right? Unbeknownst to me, the two state parks also butted up against a local town park that had it's trails also marked with...yellow and blue paint dots.

That made for some diversional lost time, but I was outside riding a bike, so it was more than fine. Well, o.k. I was hiking a bunch of the steep and loose junk there. Whatever.

We needed another ride pic there, to cleanse the palette so to speak.
    Like this one. A local kid who was on a small group ride the other day. He's 12. His bike weighs 45#. he weighs 80#. Kills him on the flats and climbs, but he's absolutely fearless on the descents, stunts, and skinnies.

More weird **** growing on trees.

A short stretch of a trail called Debacle over in one of the N.Y. parks. One of the coolest techy trails I've ridden.

It's 0beer30.

Lost parts #6439. This one coulda' used some flash, but he was rolling before I had it all set.

My pics don't do the trails here justice. I'm going to work on that...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Rolling
    Nice spread...some gnarly riding there.

....and I was just about to post the following.

"Anyone else noticed that "Scrub has been quiet lately?"

Then I thought, maybe I missed a thread...then I got distracted by a post on the Turner forum. Then I came back and saw this...

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Nice spread...some gnarly riding there.

Then I thought, maybe I missed a thread...then I got distracted by a post on the Turner forum. Then I came back and saw this...
    Heh. My photo talents, meager at best, are not able to fully capture the gnar of some of the trails. It's not that stuff is Portal trail mess up and die stuff. And there are mellower trails. But overall, the tech level is up a notch or three. Downtempo riding, ala some of the best of certain Moab sort of trails in many respects.

Tight/twisty/up/down/curvy stay in the granny for this down because you'll only need it again for the up doming at you in 3.2 seconds...

The locals I've ridden with have told me that if I like what I've ridden so far, that the stuff that is better that i've not seen yet will rock. Hope so!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    A feature named "Tusk" by the builder/other locals. It's about two tire width up top, narrowing to one at the bottom. The pic only shows the upper half. If you come off of it, you're going down.
    ...don't keep us guessing... did you represent for the CO crowd and ride that sucka down?

12 years old????

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

paintbucket

I was thinking the trees must be giving Scrub fits, so he's not posting.

Some beauties here though, and it gets easier when the leaves come down.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

paintbucket

I was thinking the trees must be giving Scrub fits, so he's not posting.

Some beauties here though.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    ...don't keep us guessing... did you represent for the CO crowd and ride that sucka down?

Uh, no. I've been working on the skinny thing, but that one is just a wee bit 9o.k. a huge friggen' amount beyond) beyond me right now. Some decently impressive onsites though. Sticking with the lower/less exposed ones for now. The learning curve goes up sharply though, from what the last months riding has taught me.

Rolling
    Uh, no. I've been working on the skinny thing, but that one is just a wee bit 9o.k. a huge friggen' amount beyond) beyond me right now. Some decently impressive onsites though. Sticking with the lower/less exposed ones for now. The learning curve goes up sharply though, from what the last months riding has taught me.

Crap. Does that mean we have lame riding here? ...

Oh hell no!

Less vert and more overall tech here. Much, much, much more vert and less overall tech there. Both trail types are very good, but they are also very, very different. Some of the "average" trails I've found out here would not exist legally on the FR. Very different access issues as well. Riding Hall as an example. (speaking only for the places i've ridden here so far) the level of tech is such that riding the same distance here takes much mroe time wise. and most of the trail is a maze of trail network, not a few trails that intersect.

Right now, we're not living in the prime CT trail location, but we plan to move a bit more north when ready to settle down. That'll make it easier to get to mobettah stuff.

Here's where I rode yesterday.

Hit ~25 miles of trail. Was out for 5 hours. (including munchie/map consult/crap i'm lost/take a photo time) The yellow lines are from where I got the map from. My route was nearly the same, with Dr. jeckyl left out but a second lap of Debacle thrown in. I tweaked it a bit to incorporate more singletrack and less of the fireroads.

Since more land is settled, and there is a lesser amount of gihugeous open space, the trail systems tend to be very serpentine in nature, with lost of short and steep ups and downs. Been riding a mix betweent he hardtail and the squishy; both have been awesome on this stuff.

A ton of the trails are not mapped, and those that are tend to be poorly marked. Even the mapped stuff has gobs of trail flitting in between the mapped stuff. With my oh so wonderful sense of direction, it's fun! Granted, much of the acreage is small, and you'll come out at a road somewhere, but still...

beer thief
    Not lame riding, Rich, just lame riders.

[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Rob [/SIZE](Ducking and donning the flame-proof suit.)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]
    Nice post, Scrubby. Looks like you are pretty well plugged in.

Belltown Brazer
    Scrub,
    I've been interested to see what you would think of our CT trails...coming from the mecca of CO. I live over near Grayville...actually one of the trailheads for the north side of Salmon River forest is at my driveway.

It is funny seeing the almost dumbfounded responses/queries from your CO buddies that there could be riding *at all* in CT! It's almost like they thought we had nothing but mansions, BMW dealers and country clubs here. Fact is, we got a lot of trees. A lot of trails, and not so much access problems. I have to admit a certain amount of glee seeing you (as an CO expat) document your riding. I'm sure the CO boys thought you were out of your mind to move away from the mecca.

Connecticut will never be the mtb vacation destination, but for a place to live and ride every day, it's hard to beat. I've got a dozen areas to ride within 30 minutes of my house. But mostly I ride right from my door. With a couple of miles of road thrown in, I can access 6 different riding "areas."

Our trails are twisty and one really has to know where to go to put more than a couple of hours at a time together. It's hard to put together a "destination" ride. And the climbs are all short...perhaps we could say our climbs are acute as opposed to the chronic climbs out west.

Goes to show that can't knock it until you try it. My wife grew up in Queens, NY and she thought all of CT was Greenwich. She was amazed to find normal, non-benz driving people up here.

I appreciate the way you're rolling with the renting, sampling the riding and then deciding where to live.

Have fun, welcome to CT. I'm sure we'll meet up sometime.

B

PS: I've been riding here for over 20 years, and I still stink at the skinnies...but that's probably because I'm a chicken.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    You definitely had the right guide around Sprain, did he offer to show you around his new playground at Ninham?

Blue is my favourite riding in areas easily reachable from NYC, although I'm looking forward to trying some of that "easy" CO/UT riding soon.

avg. joe
    New location ... same great quality pics and posts. I bet it feels good to be settled into your new abode.

STinGa
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

Loser
    Hey Scrub,

I was hoping to see an A/B comparison CO vs CT - glad to hear you're digging the new digs. I've seen your hit list and some good stuff there.

I'd suggest you add Shenipsit and Bigelow to that list - Shenipsit is probably more faster XC than cross stuntery. Bigelow is what I'd call epic XC, its slow going considering all the rock gardens, but man some of those rock gardens are epic - its also one of the most beautiful forests in CT.

I look forward to more reports and pics of places I know!
    John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Blue Mountain kicks so much ass.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    nice pics, Scrub!

Thanks!

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm you mean there are trails on the east coast?

Quote Originally Posted by MDEnvEngr
    It is funny seeing the almost dumbfounded responses/queries from your CO buddies that there could be riding *at all* in CT!
    ...keep in mind it's mostly in good fun-- just giving him a hard time for abandoning us.
    [SIZE="1"](now who's gonna be the beer mule on our epic adventures?!)[/SIZE]

fwiw, i lived/rode in NYC for quite some time and that probably contributed to my preference for the technical riding out here, as opposed to some of the speed freaks who like to rip dh.

ride whatchya got!

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

skillz to pay billz
    better trail names there

Forgot one!

Back to the little local spot this afternoon. Blue Mtn. all day Friday. Ninham on Saturday. That's one I've been itching to hit. Local names for stuff: there apparantly really is a trail feature somewhere around here called vomit comet. And a drop called "snot flicker."

I love riding bikes.

Dab Master
    And a drop called "snot flicker."
    "snot flicker" is a skinny at Sprain with a 2 foot wheelie drop off the end...we saw it near the 8 footer I hit (we choose to hit the jump next to it) but unfortunately didn't do the flicker because its in dis-repair due to lack of love

some other things we saw/rode:
    Gray Gooose
    Bling
    Unemployment Line
    Ernesto's Leap
    Double Barrel (pictured above by the powerlines)
    Upper Decker to Lincoln Log
    Vernal Pond
    Indian Summer
    3 Amigos
    Brownie Moose Bowl
    4$ Pepsi

Good times -

No good in rock gardens..
    A turtle on the trail - I never....
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    So what I really want to know is, did you try on the glow-in-the-dark vampire teeth?

Looks like you're getting the hang of shooting (and riding ) in the trees to me. Good stuff.

Currently in Exile
    Good to see the East Coast lovin from you Scrubby! Looks like you are well on your way to learnig how to shoot in the trees.

While the riding out there is "rougher", I have no doubt that a skilled rider like yourself will be getting all flowy with it in no time.

Keep the pics coming dude
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Thanks, all. Hit up a nice long one again yesterday at Blue Mtn. Worked in a few of the trail sections I'd not hit before, and one called "debacle" that I made sure to loop around to hit twice. It's incredibly well laid out techy stuff.

It's not high consequence technical (as fly off a cliff if you blow a move) but plenty of rocks and logs that'll put the hurt on you if you hit stuff wrong. Smooth tight and twisty in the trees linking up some excellent slow speed rocky step ups and downs. Hit one section off, and it messes you up to line up the next section. It was good trialsin' practice on the Peyto.

Tight corner up/down some rocks followed by an off camber log crossing, then a tight corner, covered newly dropped leaves.

There was a race held here about two weekends back. Lots of lost part photo ops after that.
    I saw two other riders all day, in about 25 miles of riding. I was sitting anjoying my mid-ride beer and empenada break, let fly with a huge belch just as they rounded the corner to me. Good thing the beer was gone, or they may have mugged me for it.

Lots of small rollers and little drops here and there. Nothing huge, but fun stuff. There is one large log ride that was calling my name, but it was large/high enough that my wussy self made me not do it when out solo.

The place is a maze of trail. Building my mental map of it solidly will take a few more trips there to get all the connections figured out. Most trails are mapped, but many are not. Very few are marked with anything other than paint dots that don't correspond to anything on the maps.

Wet, wet environment. At least in comparison to where I've been the last few years. I'm using up all my stock of dry chainlube before buying new wet lube. The dry just doesn't last as long here.

Queen Kona
    Blue is awesome! Looking to try Debacle...haven't yet. Nice pics nonetheless!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast