Fartographer SuperModerator

A Visit From Kenny G Spot

He never posts here and he hasn't been riding much, but lots of the Bay Area riders know Kenny. I worked with him at a photo lab for years and when I started riding we used to ride together a lot. Kenny's a really good musician. And when I say "really good" I don't mean that in the normal sense. He's played with tons of bands, toured all over, writes his own stuff, and plays pretty much every instrument. In the past couple of years he's finally sacked up and committed 100% to his own music. And now he's doing a US tour. It's mostly coffee shops and small places. But who cares. He's getting his ass out there and sharing his personal stuff. And I am psyched for him. I dig his music and it's good to see a friend following his dream. He's also got his Australian partner Sabine, with him. She's got a wonderful voice and the'r collaborative work is also really, really good.

So that's the background. Getting to the point, I took Kenny for a ride here in Salt Lake City. Above SLC, actually. Way above. He's always kicked my ass. But he hasn't been riding much, I've been riding tons, and altitude is a force to be reckoned with. I've had over a year to acclimate. The ride we went on is called Wasatch Crest. That trail is actually part of the reason I moved here. It was a 14 mile loop that topped out at 9800 feet and had 3000 feet of climbing. He was a good sport and a normal sea level rider wouldn't have even been able to do manage it with as little riding as he's done in the past year. But he wheezed his way through it.

I have to admit, I kind of enjoyed getting to ride in front of The Mole
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Doing His Thing

Here's Kenny in action at the Alchemy coffee shop in Salt Lake City.

Support Kenny!

Like I said, Kenny's doing a US tour and it's mostly coffee shops and open mic deals. So he's not really making any money aside from what they make from selling CDs. If he comes to your town, get out there and support him and Sabine! Their music is great and he'll be psyched to have people from Mtbr in the audience. Maybe even take him for a ride. He's got his bike stuffed into the Civic and it would be a waste if the only ride he did was the one I took him on.

I believe he's on his way to Nashville right now. You can listen to his music and find out where he'll be on his Kenny Schick MySpace page and the ArtemesiaBlack MySpace page.

swag ho Administrator
    Yeah, Kenny is old school! I think we got our Steelman Manzanitas at the same time.

Show his music some support or take him out riding while he's out in your town.

fc

Young, Shawn Young
    Good stuff, great for listening to while checking out the latest greatest pictures on mtbr!
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

More Wasatch Crest Photos

It wasn't just me and Kenny. There were four other riders, my friends Dorothy and Megan and two friend of Dorothy's whose names I can't remember (sorry). So here are a few more photos. It was a great ride. One of the best trails ever.

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    Kenny G Spot! Wow, that's going back quite a ways, in Passion years!

Looks like an awesome ride and an awesome gig! No more white Voodoo?

-g

mtbr member
    I am so glad you guys got to ride together!

I told him how you were kicking my ass on the uphills and I was kicking yours on the downhills and how bizarro world that was.

Thanks for the reminder, I am going to go check out his schedule. I am so excited that he's playing the bluebird.

mtbr member
    Terrific post PJ and fantastic shots as per usual. You really captured the beauty and flow of the Crest. What a great trail.

I really liked Kenny's stuff. I doubt he'll be coming to my town but I may download some of his music.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Dang, just missed him when he swung through Boulder. Like the sound of his music from his MySpace and could have shown him around some of my favs in the area.

Oh and great pics, but that is a given in a PJ post...