mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Vernal Trails Potential for Closure, request for contact action

If you have ridden McCoy Flats in Vernal, Utah you know how amazing the system is. Just under 60 miles of desert single track with gems like Milk, & Cookies, Retail Sale, Serpendipity, and Slippery when wet (to name a few). There is a new proposal from Uintah County to complete a five lane Alternate Truck Route BYPass through the trail system eliminating large portions of retail sale, and changing the experience from one in the middle of the desert with little impacts from outside sights and sounds to a five lane hwy running through the heart of the trail system. If you would like more information, or to let Uintah County know what you think about the project, please contact me and I'll forward your email(s) comments on to the county and BLM management. There will most likely be a public comment period for the NEPA document. If you'd like to be included and updated, please let me know and I'll fwd your contact information to our project manager. Your contact information should include:
    Your Name, first and last
    Your phone number
    Your Email Address, and if you want a hard copy of project proposals, Your mailing address.

I can be reached via email (best) @ jrwest@blm.gov or phone (435)781-4501, or if you prefer letter 170 S 500 E, Vernal Utah 84078. If you have put Vernal on your list of places you want to get to, and you don't feel like letting us know how you feel about this proposal, I'd recommend getting here to ride this spring.

and as always!

LETS RIDE!
    Last edited by Jasonoutside313; 01-27-2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Information Request clarification

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So let me get this straight - to alleviate delays during your 18 minute long rush hours they will do untold damage to the local ecosystem, trash a wonderful recreational and fitness resource and spend a whole bunch of money to reroute travelers away from the downtown area so they can't spend any money there anymore? Sounds sensible to me...

mtbr member
    While I'm not sure where they plan on putting the highway in, I rode south into Vernal on 191 and then east on 40. The section of road from Flaming Gorge to Vernal was one of the best parts of my cross country ride. I didn't encounter any bad traffic on either of those roads & the area didn't seem big enough to need a major road system.

mtbr member

Re: Vernal Trails Potential for Closure, request for contact action

I'm guessing they would make it between highway 40 west of town and highway 40 east of town in Naples. I can see why this would be proposed, as the oilfield traffic can get pretty hellacious at times. However as a former vernal resident that likes to visit and ride there this would be awful!

mtbr member
    Email sent!

Tigers love pepper...
    Very sad to hear. I do a little work in Vernal a few times a year and have very much enjoyed riding McCoy flats. Hope to check out some of the other area trails this spring/summer. I'll try and get an email out to you this weekend.

PS - Also added a link here in the Utah forum as I didn't see it posted in there.
    Last edited by cobi; 01-23-2014 at 11:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for passing the word on!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Most of the McCoy Flats Trails are on BLM Land. The BLM has opened a consultation process with respect to the proposed by-pass route. I have posted a link to the relevant BLM site below. You can comment by email, but comments need to be in by 12 June.

https://www.blm.gov/epl-front-office...ntPageId=50976