Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Vasectomy-to-ride time?

Hey guys, I'm not sure where the most appropriate place to post this question is but I figured a forum named "passion" wouldn't be too bad an option. I had a vasectomy on wednesday (12/12/12) afternoon and I'm dying to go for a ride but I don't wanna risk hurting the boys any further. All the info I found about restricted activities lists nearly everything but cycling. What says you? When would it be "safe" to let the boys out and go for a ride? How long did you wait before venturing outside?

Thanks doods!
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    *shrug*

It varies. Pedal around the driveway/neighborhood/parking lot a bit and see how things feel.

I waited a week, and just stuck with mellower and smoother riding for a week or so.

Keep up with ice when sitting around, that'll do the most good to get you riding.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Thanks for asking that Homey. I was wondering the same thing but hadn't gotten around to asking here yet.

Ridin' Furry
    I have a cycling book and looked it up although it is rather short on the subject..

"Cycling can normally be resumed one week following vasectomy"

Taken from

Bicycling Medicine: Cycling Nutrition, Physiology, Injury Prevention and Treatment For Riders of All Levels
    Arnie Baker, M.D

Rogue Exterminator
    I would say ask your doctor.

Then do what everyone else does and ignore his advice and do it when it feels ok to do it.

mtbr member extraordinair
    Id give it 2 weeks, then ease back into it. Recovery time really isn't all that long. Winter is a good time to have it done.

My hesitation in getting it done resulted in a 4th child, so don't delay over something so trivial as missing a few rides!
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

ENDO!!!
    Wait about a week, ride around the neighborhood and see how it feels. I took my first decent ride after 2 weeks, when it didn't hurt to ride. Where the boys are concerned, better to be safe than sorry!
    Just circles turning circles....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I would say ask your doctor.

Then do what everyone else does and ignore his advice and do it when it feels ok to do it.
    So true. lol

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Thanks, to testosterone - men often heal faster. My 44-year-old girlfriend just had a full, abdominal Hysterectomy and she was on her bike in 8.5 weeks!

Bed rest and increased caloric consumption also plays a HUGE role, in overall recovery times. While injured, all your body craves is 10+ hours of daily sleep and calories, to focus on healing tissue. Heal well.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Like others have said, wait a week and ride light, 2 weeks and back to normal (mostly normal). That's for riding your bike.

For other riding, follow doctors orders!

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    dont rush back on the bike. When I had mine done I wasnt into biking. You feel ok and start moving too much and things can get real sore, real fast. You'll end up with a purple bag, and be laid up even longer. Try walking a mile or 2 before riding anywhere.

mtbr member
    `I waited a couple of weeks before I did a real ride. The last thing you want is to pinch your boys on the back of your seat on a decent!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Thanks, to testosterone - men often heal faster. My 44-year-old girlfriend just had a full, abdominal Hysterectomy and she was on her bike in 8.5 weeks!

Bed rest and increased caloric consumption also plays a HUGE role, in overall recovery times. While injured, all your body craves is 10+ hours of daily sleep and calories, to focus on healing tissue. Heal well.
    Zachariah ... I'm not sure it's the testosterone...it could be that having a hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY compared to a vasectomy

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I was riding within a couple of weeks but just on pavement. Pain took about 6 weeks to subside for me to really ride the mountain bike and even then hitting a big bump produced a jolt of pain. Don't base your recovery on anyone else's experience. Your body will let you know when it's good to go. I had faster recovery after hernia surgery than I did with the vas.
    Don't hate me because I'm Ti

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky dick View Post
    I was riding within a couple of weeks but just on pavement. Pain took about 6 weeks to subside for me to really ride the mountain bike and even then hitting a big bump produced a jolt of pain. Don't base your recovery on anyone else's experience. Your body will let you know when it's good to go. I had faster recovery after hernia surgery than I did with the vas.
    Is that where your username came from?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    ahhh, I knew that was coming! Perhaps you are too young to remember where that monicker originated
    Don't hate me because I'm Ti

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I rode my bike to my vasectomy and back.
    Nothing I would recommend - I did developed a mild case of the famous eggplant syndrome. Stayed off for one week after.
    Ice and elevate the bag are the key components to early return to the saddle.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Zachariah ... I'm not sure it's the testosterone...it could be that having a hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY compared to a vasectomy

SPP
    Great response SPP - surprised no one else chimed in on this

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post

SPP
    Some guys act like its major surgery. So far, not here though...kudos to no whiners.
    Last edited by formica; 12-19-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Immediately. Before the local anesthetic wears off.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    I was out bouldering in 2-3 days, but NO jumping off.

I waited a 1-2 weeks before jumping back on the bike/ pulling a climbing harness on.

Minor residual pain would come and go for 2-3 months but nothing that wouldn't have prevented me from getting out.

mtbr member
    My buddy took a ride one week after and was fine until we started hitting the techincal downhill parts (bumpy). Just take your first ride easy and see how you feel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Doc wanted me off work for two weeks. I have a labor intense job. So I would assume two weeks be safer for you.

mtbr member
    Seriously!!!!
    pointerdixie
    slowpokepete
    tricky dick

Most appropriate user names to reply on a thread!!

It all depends on where you ride and what you ride. Low end HT for me on some very rooty/rocky trails. Took a good month for me to be really comfortable.

Buy some damn good undos! I grabbed a pair of spandex type of boxer briefs and put them on under my running shorts with the built in liner. Kept everything snug!! The less the bounciness, the better!!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

beer thief
    I waited 2 weeks because that's when I felt ready. Ice immediately after it's done and wear a jockstrap, it really helps. Supporting the boys as opposed to letting them hang made things much more comfortable. I walked some local trails and did a bunch of pruning after the first week.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast