Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Vasectomy-to-ride time?

Hey guys, I'm not sure where the most appropriate place to post this question is but I figured a forum named "passion" wouldn't be too bad an option. I had a vasectomy on wednesday (12/12/12) afternoon and I'm dying to go for a ride but I don't wanna risk hurting the boys any further. All the info I found about restricted activities lists nearly everything but cycling. What says you? When would it be "safe" to let the boys out and go for a ride? How long did you wait before venturing outside?

Thanks doods!
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    *shrug*

It varies. Pedal around the driveway/neighborhood/parking lot a bit and see how things feel.

I waited a week, and just stuck with mellower and smoother riding for a week or so.

Keep up with ice when sitting around, that'll do the most good to get you riding.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Thanks for asking that Homey. I was wondering the same thing but hadn't gotten around to asking here yet.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Ridin' Furry
    I have a cycling book and looked it up although it is rather short on the subject..

"Cycling can normally be resumed one week following vasectomy"

Taken from

Bicycling Medicine: Cycling Nutrition, Physiology, Injury Prevention and Treatment For Riders of All Levels
    Arnie Baker, M.D

Rogue Exterminator
    I would say ask your doctor.

Then do what everyone else does and ignore his advice and do it when it feels ok to do it.

mtbr member extraordinair
    Id give it 2 weeks, then ease back into it. Recovery time really isn't all that long. Winter is a good time to have it done.

My hesitation in getting it done resulted in a 4th child, so don't delay over something so trivial as missing a few rides!
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

ENDO!!!
    Wait about a week, ride around the neighborhood and see how it feels. I took my first decent ride after 2 weeks, when it didn't hurt to ride. Where the boys are concerned, better to be safe than sorry!
    Just circles turning circles....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I would say ask your doctor.

Then do what everyone else does and ignore his advice and do it when it feels ok to do it.
    So true. lol

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Thanks, to testosterone - men often heal faster. My 44-year-old girlfriend just had a full, abdominal Hysterectomy and she was on her bike in 8.5 weeks!

Bed rest and increased caloric consumption also plays a HUGE role, in overall recovery times. While injured, all your body craves is 10+ hours of daily sleep and calories, to focus on healing tissue. Heal well.
    "The ONLY person who needs to race.....is the entrant"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Like others have said, wait a week and ride light, 2 weeks and back to normal (mostly normal). That's for riding your bike.

For other riding, follow doctors orders!

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    dont rush back on the bike. When I had mine done I wasnt into biking. You feel ok and start moving too much and things can get real sore, real fast. You'll end up with a purple bag, and be laid up even longer. Try walking a mile or 2 before riding anywhere.

mtbr member
    `I waited a couple of weeks before I did a real ride. The last thing you want is to pinch your boys on the back of your seat on a decent!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Thanks, to testosterone - men often heal faster. My 44-year-old girlfriend just had a full, abdominal Hysterectomy and she was on her bike in 8.5 weeks!

Bed rest and increased caloric consumption also plays a HUGE role, in overall recovery times. While injured, all your body craves is 10+ hours of daily sleep and calories, to focus on healing tissue. Heal well.
    Zachariah ... I'm not sure it's the testosterone...it could be that having a hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY compared to a vasectomy

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I was riding within a couple of weeks but just on pavement. Pain took about 6 weeks to subside for me to really ride the mountain bike and even then hitting a big bump produced a jolt of pain. Don't base your recovery on anyone else's experience. Your body will let you know when it's good to go. I had faster recovery after hernia surgery than I did with the vas.
    Don't hate me because I'm Ti

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky dick View Post
    I was riding within a couple of weeks but just on pavement. Pain took about 6 weeks to subside for me to really ride the mountain bike and even then hitting a big bump produced a jolt of pain. Don't base your recovery on anyone else's experience. Your body will let you know when it's good to go. I had faster recovery after hernia surgery than I did with the vas.
    Is that where your username came from?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    ahhh, I knew that was coming! Perhaps you are too young to remember where that monicker originated
    Don't hate me because I'm Ti

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I rode my bike to my vasectomy and back.
    Nothing I would recommend - I did developed a mild case of the famous eggplant syndrome. Stayed off for one week after.
    Ice and elevate the bag are the key components to early return to the saddle.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Zachariah ... I'm not sure it's the testosterone...it could be that having a hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY compared to a vasectomy

SPP
    Great response SPP - surprised no one else chimed in on this

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post

SPP
    Some guys act like its major surgery. So far, not here though...kudos to no whiners.
    Last edited by formica; 12-19-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Immediately. Before the local anesthetic wears off.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    I was out bouldering in 2-3 days, but NO jumping off.

I waited a 1-2 weeks before jumping back on the bike/ pulling a climbing harness on.

Minor residual pain would come and go for 2-3 months but nothing that wouldn't have prevented me from getting out.

mtbr member
    My buddy took a ride one week after and was fine until we started hitting the techincal downhill parts (bumpy). Just take your first ride easy and see how you feel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Doc wanted me off work for two weeks. I have a labor intense job. So I would assume two weeks be safer for you.

mtbr member
    Seriously!!!!
    pointerdixie
    slowpokepete
    tricky dick

Most appropriate user names to reply on a thread!!

It all depends on where you ride and what you ride. Low end HT for me on some very rooty/rocky trails. Took a good month for me to be really comfortable.

Buy some damn good undos! I grabbed a pair of spandex type of boxer briefs and put them on under my running shorts with the built in liner. Kept everything snug!! The less the bounciness, the better!!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

beer thief
    I waited 2 weeks because that's when I felt ready. Ice immediately after it's done and wear a jockstrap, it really helps. Supporting the boys as opposed to letting them hang made things much more comfortable. I walked some local trails and did a bunch of pruning after the first week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When the doc sais it's ok to get back on the saddle in bed. Tilt your seat forward and keep the weight on your butt, for safety.
    agmtb

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Some guys act like its major surgery. So far, not here though...kudos to no whiners.

This. Very minor. We were out of the house, there and done, back home in just under an hour. Way faster, easier, cheaper, and with far fewer possibilities of complications than the spousal unit getting herself tied. Also much easier (generally) to have reversed if you change your mind.

Ice and elevation, take it easy for as long as your body tells you to is all. I think I used a couple Percocet to help get comfortable/asleep a few nights.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I had mine done on a friday so I could go back to work on monday, according to my doctor. I hung sheet rock that monday. My boys got infected and swelled up. I should have played the lotto, doc said 1 in million. It cost me 2 days of work. The pain killer were great. Take your time getting back. By the way nothing else swelled up.LOL

Warrior's Society
    Had it done on Friday, Saturday a week later did a 27 mile/ 4k mtn ride. No problems.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    2 weeks here- I had a problem with one of my stitches. Got the Ti thread down there that I can still feel every so often because I think there is a little bit sticking out from the tie-off so I get a little pinch every now and then. Otherwise no issues after 2 weeks.

Young, Shawn Young
    10 to 14 days. Ive been there)
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IPSC shooter View Post
    I had mine done on a friday so I could go back to work on monday, according to my doctor. I hung sheet rock that monday. My boys got infected and swelled up. I should have played the lotto, doc said 1 in million. It cost me 2 days of work. The pain killer were great. Take your time getting back. By the way nothing else swelled up.LOL
    Too funny

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I waited two weeks. No problems at all. And the "procedure" really isn't all that bad...

The Original Suspect
    As you can see, everyone has different recovery times. I had mine done on a Friday and sat on the couch all weekend then back to work on Monday. I even drove myself home from the procedure. I was back on the trail the next weekend. Nothing rough, but I was still rolling. Good Luck!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I was off the bike for 6 weeks and another 3 after that until I was on dirt. I was one of the lucky ones that had complications. Lucky me. I won't go into details, but it was pretty much a nightmare.

Rides with Scissors
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster1971 View Post
    Great response SPP - surprised no one else chimed in on this
    I was going to, but saw that someone else already had.

I had a mass removed from "down there" (endometriosis, not cancer) several years ago, not as major as a hysterectomy though. Doc said "no lifting restrictions", so I did laundry the afternoon post-surgery and walked to the grocery (not yet allowed to drive post-surgery) the next morning. Back on the bike two weeks later.
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I was was off for 4 weeks , But!! two weeks before the Vasectomy I had my Rotator Cuff sewn back together so I had 12 Stitches in the cuff , and 10 Staples in my shoulder.

I figured get it all done at once
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Mine is scheduled for next month. I hope I'm only out for two weeks.
    Favorite Vasectomy Joke: What is the definition of macho? Riding your bike home after a vasectomy.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    eidt, in response to some rep, I'm talking about whining as in "She wants me to cut my balls off, can you believe that??!!" which I have heard for real more than once, not true medical situations that are uncomfortable and painful.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You will know when you ride...

mtbr member
    With mine it was the pulling of the stitches that slowed me down. Once they dissolved I was fine

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I waited 10 days, then came back into it pretty easy. (ie. no rides longer than 1hr for the next 2 weeks or so after starting) I had continuous mild pain. Eventually got some swelling around ~6 weeks post op and had to take another 2 weeks off with some serious anti inflammatories.

I wouldn't bank on any riding within a month more than short 30 minute rides... Sure, you might get lucky, but don't bank on it. Avoid the disappointment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    make sure your dropper posts dont shoot back up too quickly!

PA Biker
    Oct 2012
    I was back on my bike after 2 weeks. As others have stated buy a jock strap and keep everything nice and snug. Also, lots of ice and sitting in the recliner for the first 2 days. The stitches that kept pulling and tugging were the worst part. I took the stitches out myself after 5 days before they dissolved because they were bugging me so bad.

mtbr member
    well, i went mountain biking today for the first time since "the operation" (as it's referred to in my house). The ride was fairly easy and I didn't push myself too much. Everything felt and still feels okay but it's only been a couple hours since I got back from riding. I'm really, really hoping my nuts aren't the size of grapefruit when I wake up in the morning.

Thanks for everyone's input and advice, it has been appreciated.
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    This. Very minor. We were out of the house, there and done, back home in just under an hour. Way faster, easier, cheaper, and with far fewer possibilities of complications than the spousal unit getting herself tied. Also much easier (generally) to have reversed if you change your mind.
    It amazes me how many men will avoid it in favour of their partner having the far more invasive procedure. It's painless and only takes an hour tops.

I think I was back riding after about two weeks.

mtbr member
    I can't relate to MTB'in but I can to Quad racing.

I had mine done. waited about 2 weeks then hit the track on my quad.
    Didn't have to many problems. Depending on how long or hard I rode at the track I may have a little soreness but only lasted a few hours.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Somehow I read the title as

Vasectomy = time to ride

Best wishes for speedy recovery...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Rent a recumbent to be safe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I had mine done last month. I was off my bike 8 days. My first ride was around 15 miles, 2000'. It wasn't too bad on my nut sack. A few days later I did a 20 mile ride and it was still fine. Just wear tight underwear and make sure your incision isn't rubbing and bashing against your seat.

I had sex at 2 week and I'd say that hurt more than riding because there wasn't any support. I actually had to ice after sex but not after rides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast