Fishing/ Biking

Vacation Ride Suggetions

Hey Guys,
    I'm taking my teenage daughter with me on a road trip next week. We are Leaving from Las Vegas, NV and headed to Whitefish, MT to meet my wife for a week there. After that I was thinking of driving west to the coast and touring the PNW, and then all the way down thru California.

My daughter is completely green to MTB, but I am looking for ride suggestions along our basic route. I guess they will have to be more XC and scenic type rides, but I don't want to drive past some epic ride spot and say, "Dang, I was right there!"

We are going to visit as many of the National Parks as we can. Already planning on a quick visit in Yellowstone and want to see the trees in California! And the "Devil's Postpile" is right next to Mammoth mountain, so we may have to ride some of the trails there!

Anyway, please suggest rides or areas to sight see that you guys have been to. I would appreciate it!
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

mtbr member
    I would break your trip up into state-by-state chunks, figure out how long you can spend in each one, and then ask in each individual regional forum. You're likely to get a lot more useful information that way.

I have a couple quick thoughts.

Since you're from Vegas I'll just assume you know the Sierras well enough, and I'd suggest the California coastal redwood forests.

In Oregon for scenic you can't really beat the McKenzie River trail. You and your daughter could ride up from the ranger station as an out-and-back on the easier parts. You could also check out some of the waterfalls after your ride (Sahalie and Koosa).

Fishing/ Biking
    Great idea tbmaddux. I'll try do that and hit up regional forums. Thanks for the suggestions, we definitely want to see the redwoods, & I'll have to look into McKenzie River.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you are in Oregon you might as well ,check out Bend and Oakridge .

Fishing/ Biking
    Have heard lots of good things about Bend, OR. Definitely will check it out! Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm less familiar with Bend trails, but in my experience the lower Middle Fork in the Oakridge area is pretty amazing for beginner/intermediate level riders. It's beautiful, and just technical enough to have some fun bits for newer riders.

I'd also recommend Sandy Ridge area, just SE of Portland. We took a pretty wide ranging group up there, and everybody had a great time. Fun, and also very lush and Western Oregon-like.

If you're heading down 101 into CA, there's a pretty cool section of overgrown original Hwy 1 that goes through huge old growth Redwoods, and is open to bikes. You'll occasionally see a remaining bit of pavement and striping, and if you look very closely in the overgrowth you'll find the original dedication marker. It's pretty magical. It isn't signed or advertised, and we only found it because a ranger recommended it, but I could probably dig into our old files and find the GPS coordinates or find it on Google Earth for you if you're interested. Let me know.

I don't know how far south you're going into California, but since you're headed that direction I'll throw out the Paradise Royale trail network. It's near Shelter Cove CA, and is a mountain bike specific trail system. There's a campground trail-adjacent.

Have fun! And you can PM me if you want me to investigate the Old Hwy 1 / Redwoods ride. I'd be happy to do it.

Fishing/ Biking
    Thanks slr! I know there is going to be way TOO much to see and ride, but want to get all my options in! Thanks for all the suggestions. And that secret Hwy 1 ride sounds amazing. I'll send you a PM just to make sure.

powered by peanut butter.
    Bend has a lot of easier trails that you can get on from the Phil's trailhead. It'd be a great stop for you. (Plus, the brewery scene is incredible.)

Mackenzie River Trail is awesome, and tbmaddux has it right: the upper part is a big, tough lava field. Starting from the bottom will take you through beautiful old growth forest and awesome river views.

There is a lot of great riding around Ogden and Boise, if your route takes you through there. Wheeler Creek in Ogden is not too techy, but has some decent climbing.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I would say definitely go to Mckenzie River. It was pretty flat. The upper section was the only technical part with the lava but it was the most scenic. There were waterfalls everywhere and the river was super awesome. I would also say that Ketchum, Idaho would be a good stop. Beautiful forests and there are trails everywhere so finding some beginner stuff wouldn't be too hard. I rode the chocolate-fox loop which wasnt rocky at all but there was some elevation. Great views though. If you are going to go to Yellowstone then try to go to Bozeman, MT. Unbelievalbe views and amazing trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    if you get to san diego CA, ride Big Laguna. Its unreal, up in the mountains and very good and really easy for kids - but still really flowy. Super pretty in the spring but should be fun now also

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Clark Fork River Trail #223 Is by St Regis, MT is about 12.5 miles east of I-90, west of Missoula. Beautiful ride along a big river with solitude in a forest. Ride is a out and back, trail 9 miles long. All you'll hear is the rushing river and an occasional train across it. Didn't seen anyone on it. It and McKenzie River are my favorite river trails, so far.
    I have traveled far and Yellowstone is the greatest place I've seen. Took my girlfriend there and saw 25 species of animals in 2 days, maybe as many as I've seen my whole life. See more than 1 geyser, Virginia Cascade is beautiful, the mud pots, Fire Hole Lake, Devil's Cauldron and so many more things to experience. The most diverse place on earth. Divide Lake flows to the Atlantic AND Pacific but you can't tell from just a look.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    clark fork trail is nice but i thought a read about break-in issues there, i would consider parking up on the highway if i did it

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi, I think you can spend time in FLORIDA,at a Palm Beach-area or Miami resort and hit the spa and view the alligators in the Everglades for a fraction of what it would cost in winter! Key Biscayne, at the very top of the famous Florida Keys, is a good bet for families a short drive from Miami over the Rickenbacker Causeway, on the island of Key Biscayne. I enjoyed my vacation time and I think this is a must visit place. Also In my opinion Hawaii, the Big Island, you can visit Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and see Kila uea Volcano, tour a macadamia nut plantation or a Kona Coffee farm, and get to know the real Hawaiian culture. I hope this will help

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The Avenue of The Giants is unbelievable. I've taken the bikes down it a few times. Even if you are riding on the pavement, it is worth it to slow down and really see those trees. You've mentioned that it is a goal to see these redwoods, well, I say the best way to see them is to ride! You feel much closer to them than in the car...

In any case, have a blast! So much beautiful country!