Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

universal cyclist/trail user frs emergency channel (channel 12 sub channel 10)

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  dlbennett 
#1 · (Edited)
universal cyclist/trail user frs emergency channel (channel 6 sub channel 10)

after reading another members post about frs walkie talikies it gave me an idea. esentially we establish an unformal cyclist/trail user emergency channelon the frs band. this way it would be safer if you were to go out solo and become demobilized for whatever reason. then as long as someone else has their radio on and listning to that channel just incase of such an event they can be contacted for help, weather its another cyclist that helps or he/she gets help from another source, ie. park rangers.

i will have to say this once again that this channel is for emergency use only and not to use it for trying to see if there is someone else there just for the heck of it or for communicating with youre group durring a ride! i say this because if this channel gets used for other purposes than emergencies then people are just going to turn it off because they will be bothered unnessarilly durring a ride for something thats not an emergency.
NOTE: this channel can be use for warnings such as a bear, mountain lion sighting etc..

the channel to be used for this emergency listen in is channel 6 sub channel 10.
(revised for gmrs compatability 5/1/05)

rember to carry youre frs radio whenever you ride even if its with a group because it could help save someone elses life and even your own.

***moderators***
please make this a sticky

See less See more
#10 ·
just let em die

i have thought about this issue a little, because i ride alot by myself. i also dirtbike alot by myself and i even do some backcountry skiing (telemark) alone. i think anything that encourages people with minimal skills to go into country they're not prepared for is not really all that great an idea. if you are accident-prone, ride with someone else. if you like the solitude and are not accident-prone, accept the fact that there is a small (but non-zero) chance that any given ride could be your last if you screw up, and then act accordingly.

-mark

#11 ·
wooglin said:
I was in 107. :D
Whoa! That was abrupt. Sorry Al., my mind must have been somewhere else and I thought you were referencing another board. Guess I need to look at my title more often.

Paintbucket doesn't mean anything unless you happen to be Peter Bau (I assume you're not), in which case you aren't one. Its weird, I know. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.