Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    they took the bar

uh oh, colder weather inbound for Arizona

Sitting here, watching the news. Cold weather coming in to the Valley, (freezing). Yikes, I need to prep for my weekend rides! trying to figure out what I'll bundle up with. No winter gear whatsoever.

My blood has thinned out over the years. Not anywhere near like you snow birds and polar bears outside the desert southwest. We get below 65, and it's time to pull out the jackets.

ha! having fun. Happy New Year all... happy trails.

-jav

mtbr member
    50-55 and it will feel like springtime!! Tights and a LS jersey and I am good to go! This coming from a guy who just left single digit temps behind last week.

Mikey

High Desert MTBer
    We are at 3500' here in S AZ, and up at 4500' on Sunday behind my house, I was riding thru traces of melting snow... scary! I hear you on the blood thinning/break out the jackets at 65 thing, only for me it's full thermals and lots of layers. Good thing is that in Feb it will be back in the 80s probably
    It's all Here. Now.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    No joke, I see the forecast for this Saturday's AZT Jamboree ride will have the starting temps down in the 20's!! I'm cashing in an REI gift card today for some winter riding gloves, gotta keep the digits warm.

I have a ton of respect for those in colder climates who continue to get their ride stoke on. I used to be one of them, but that was a loooong time ago. Yes, anything under 70 in the desert southwest is 'chilly'!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    wish i could say i still ride all the time in the cold, but i'm getting picky in my old age...rode last weekend in the low 30s and it was not so much fun...lol

mtbr member
    Come on east, it'll be in the gorgeous mid 60s!

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Damn. Are you guys going to be OK? Just kidding. I look forward to a trip there every Feb. to thaw my bones and bike out. Right now we look forward to any day over 40 and were good to go. So putting an order for some 70 deg weather in mid Feb. See ya then.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

Give it a crank
    No way I'm riding at all in those temps. I can just think of the cold air through my shoes leaving no feeling in my toes. Not a chance.

It's funny how some cold weather riders hate it when the temps reach 70F, I hate it when it's below 70F! But I'll ride just fine when it's 110F out there and love it. It's what a lot of desert dwellers get used to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Man up. I rode in VT last week and it was about 18 degrees. Was it fun? Kind of.
    My favorite biking temp is 60-65. You can't get cold, it feels sort of warm with the sun out, and you don't feel like you will pass out from heat exhaustion.
    Buy some foot warmers, stick them in your shoes, you'll be good to go.

they took the bar
    The potential for the coldest weather around here in the last 25 years.... (so says the weatherman). Yow...

Gnarly
    To me it always feels colder at the beginning of a winter ride and it feels colder riding on the road to get to the trail head
    Once i warm up and I'm on the trail I don;t notice the temp or wind

You can do it Javelina!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I want to feel sorry for you but sorry I just can't

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I ride south mountain at 5am with a group 3-4 times a week. Invest in some under Armour compression tops. They are awesome in the 30-40 degree weather.

they took the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    To me it always feels colder at the beginning of a winter ride and it feels colder riding on the road to get to the trail head
    Once i warm up and I'm on the trail I don;t notice the temp or wind

You can do it Javelina!
    I'm kinda the same way, in a sense. the first 2 or 3 miles I'm thinking, why the heck am I out here. Then, the legs warm up, and you hit your stride.

But where you're from, you're a polar bear there lady!!

I'm planning a nice long ride this Saturday. Will report back.

Thanks for the vote of confidence there cyclelicious!

they took the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by RBrady View Post
    I ride south mountain at 5am with a group 3-4 times a week. Invest in some under Armour compression tops. They are awesome in the 30-40 degree weather.
    I'm over by the San Tan's.

thanks for the suggestion. I am planning to head out for a ride this weekend. No matter how cold. Just for bragging rights (here in AZ).

they took the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyonthemadone View Post
    50-55 and it will feel like springtime!! Tights and a LS jersey and I am good to go! This coming from a guy who just left single digit temps behind last week.

Mikey
    He-man! I bet up in your neck of the woods, it can get pretty "cool".

Gnarly
    Quote Originally Posted by javelina1 View Post
    I'm kinda the same way, in a sense. the first 2 or 3 miles I'm thinking, why the heck am I out here. Then, the legs warm up, and you hit your stride.

But where you're from, you're a polar bear there lady!!

I'm planning a nice long ride this Saturday. Will report back.

Thanks for the vote of confidence there cyclelicious!
    Thanks Jav but I would trade the cold for warm if I could LOL.

Enjoy your ride Jav!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Give it a crank
    If I have to dress up like I'm going skiing to ride my bike, I'd rather just go skiing.

they took the bar
    stopped by Harbor Freight, and bought these for tomorrow. Their leather, anti-vibration gloves work great for MTBing... I've used the short finger version in the past. Bought the full glove, to give better protection for the cold weather.

$7.50 (after discount).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Laramie, Wyoming
    Wow, I just finished my ride for the day. It is 16 degrees and the wind is blowing up to 35 mph. My wind chill calculator says that is -5 if you aren't moving.

Andrew
    What is winter gear? T-shirt and riding shots all year except add a hoody to ride to work in the mornings if it's in the 30's.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

they took the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by drizzoh View Post
    What is winter gear? T-shirt and riding shots all year except add a hoody to ride to work in the mornings if it's in the 30's.
    that's 30C for us folk in AZ, right?

Nice.

High Desert MTBer
    Just finished covering up cactus, bougs, yuccas, palms, lantana, now the yard looks like a festival site. There's even some old tie-dye sheets out there... 2 years ago we had 2 nites of bad freeze and we lost 3 Oleanders and a palm tree. Taking no chances this time!
    It's all Here. Now.

they took the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Just finished covering up cactus, bougs, yuccas, palms, lantana, now the yard looks like a festival site. There's even some old tie-dye sheets out there... 2 years ago we had 2 nites of bad freeze and we lost 3 Oleanders and a palm tree. Taking no chances this time!
    Neither are we. Going to cover up the greenery too. Also, planning to run the pool/pump after 9pm through the following morning, (each night). I'd rather pay the electric bill, than to have my pool plumbing and in floor cleaning system bust up.

squish, squish in da fish
    man, if it's in the 40*'s here, then i'm in riding pants with an UA mock turtle, tee & full finger vented gloves, jus sayin'. oh and merino wool socks w/ comfy shoes on some hope f20's. toward end of ride im pulling the under armor and sportin' a tee. if ur cold pedal harder damn it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast