Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ugly Bike

4K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  vintagemtbr 
#1 ·
Anyone else have a really ugly bike that they can't seem to get rid of.

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

This is my commute, errands and knockabout bike. It is UGLY.

See less See more
#4 ·
ugliness like that shows why such things are on a circular scale...
at a certain point, it becomes so ugly that it is appealing again.
kinda like really really bad movies, or very corny jokes.

I'd totally consider a scheme like that for my urban bike if I hadn't just painted it, or didn't have so many ideas kicking around in my head already.

#6 ·
Trade ya!

But only if I get to convert the Trek to SS!

Is that a CF frame with AL lugs? Rockin the rack on that is Sooooooo cool. What an awesome thing to do with an old racer like that!

And yes, I can't give this bike away here in ND. The flattest place known to man, and I keep getting "I don't understand why took off the gears".

I don't think that it is worth Ebaying the whole bike as shipping would probably be more than I can get for it. I have too many bikes and this one has to go! Maybe I will part it out:rolleyes:

#8 ·
Haha, wow. I remember test riding one of those 8700s when they were new (holy cripes, those were some narrow bars on a production bike!), thinking I'd go for the screeching-loud yellow with black splatter & carbon main tubes instead. I waited another year and blammo, bright colors were out. My 8900 came in deep purple with white letters. Too bad no paint could hide the ugly construction & ride of those frames though.

Most of those seperated within a few years. They were replaced with OCLV frames. :) I see that you, like me, got stuck with an odd well-made one that just wouldn't die no matter how much you wanted it to. No idea what we'd get now for a warranty replacement, but I'm guessing it woudn't be the new top of the line frame anymore...

Oh well, loud colors are good when they're original on a vintage bike. Mountain biking back then was bright and fun and kinda crazy, and the colors reflect that. It'd be right at home riding through a huge field of wildflowers. Nowadays everyone's been trying to attach an aire of grim seriousness to bikes that's kind of stifling.

Nice shape you've kept that bike in! Looks good. At very least, it'll make the truly uptight squirm in their britches, which is always a nice effect.

#13 ·
No Trades I'm gonna ride her till she dies

I actually got the Trek in 1991 to replace a Cannondale M500. The shifters and derrailleurs are original Suntour XC Pro. The handlebars are Van Dessell moustache bars.
A couple of years ago a Trek rep told me if the frame broke they would give me a replacement frame but it would be a new hardtail frame. The frame has thousands of miles on it. I have been using it to commute to work 2-3 days a week since 1991. It won't die.

#17 ·
Cool, a pic of mine in action! Not that you can really much of it though...

Chequamegon Fat Tire Fest! That was a tough position to hang on to, with over a thousand people just out of the frame of that picture... good memories. I guess I'm glad my frame hasn't died. I'd just pawn whatever its replacement would be on ebay anyway. I should build the old bird back up and give it a proper resting place up at the family cabin (in the Cheq forest!). :)

Thx for reminding me!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.