mtbr member

Turns out biking and beer are a great combo

This spring we have been going on "beer rides", bigger rides with stops along the way, every 10 miles or so at a brewery or pub.

Turns out when your motivated by beer you can really piles on the miles.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster" Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    I kinda do the same thing,,I'll throw a beer in my pack,ride to a certain destination(overlook,etc) then enjoy my cold one and continue on

since 4/10/2009
    There are tons of social road/urban rides around here that do similar things, and they've been doing it for years. The routes vary, but there's typically at least 1 stop and sometimes more than half a dozen per ride.

It's remarkable how many breweries and restaurants/pubs that serve craft beer have popped up along the local greenways. The vast majority of them have pretty extensive bike rack space. There are even a few that aren't anywhere near the greenways that are so welcoming to riders that they still get lots of traffic.

A few breweries around here even sponsor various bike/beer events. One does a "bike to the ballpark" to the local minor league stadium (where their beers are served). Another does a road touring/camping event every summer, and people will ride over 100mi to GET to the event.

Another heavily sponsors the local mtb fest.

There's a local "Tour de Brew" that includes I think as many as a dozen breweries.

We're getting a New Belgium Tour de Fat this year, too, which should be fun.

There are a few mtb trails with breweries very close to the trailhead, convenient for post-ride food and drinks.

mtbr member
    I'm in the Seattle area and there is almost no end to the little local breweries we can ride to. Not a new idea at all around here at all. Over the winter I picked up a Gravel/Road bike and it's been a great excuse to go for a road ride. The extra miles are beneficial too. In February I joined a group for a mountain bike ride on the trails and had to really work to keep up with them. This week I rode with the same group and had them working to keep up with me! So keep the beer rides coming!

mtbr member
    This is good news as both my doctor and personal trainer have been urging me to drink more beer.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Shouldn't this be posted in the road bike forum? What mountain bike trails have breweries along the way? I suppose you can ride your mountain bike on the road from brewery to brewery and post it in the mountain bike forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Shouldn't this be posted in the road bike forum? What mountain bike trails have breweries along the way? I suppose you can ride your mountain bike on the road from brewery to brewery and post it in the mountain bike forum.
    Nope.
    This helps my Mtn Biking. All the beer biking miles are making my legs stronger, which is making me faster on the trails. Plus depending on our starting point and destination we can include a couple of single track trail systems into the ride. That's why having a gravel bike is useful.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster" Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What mountain bike trails have breweries along the way?
    We've got one; trails right from the parking lot. Can access the same trails right from my driveway too. Coincidence?
    And they just opened up an outdoor beer garden today.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    We can go through the Paradise Valley Conservation Area trails or through St Eds/Big Finn trails. Plenty of Breweries in Redmond, Kenmoore, Kirkland, Bothell, Woodinville....

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilely View Post
    I'm in the Seattle area and there is almost no end to the little local breweries we can ride to. Not a new idea at all around here at all. Over the winter I picked up a Gravel/Road bike and it's been a great excuse to go for a road ride. The extra miles are beneficial too. In February I joined a group for a mountain bike ride on the trails and had to really work to keep up with them. This week I rode with the same group and had them working to keep up with me! So keep the beer rides coming!
    Seattle area you say?

PM me. I might be interested in joining along of that's okay. I might be a bit slow because my "road bike" is my old Voodoo HT.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilely View Post
    We can go through the Paradise Valley Conservation Area trails or through St Eds/Big Finn trails. Plenty of Breweries in Redmond, Kenmoore, Kirkland, Bothell, Woodinville....
    Paradise is kind of far from breweries. St. Eds is pretty close to the Bothell and Kenmore breweries. And quite close to my house as it turns out.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Great combo?? Like drinking and driving?

mtbr member
    I love a post ride beer. However, I will not ride my bike if I've had even one beer.
    Let's kick ass!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wow really? I'd never get anywhere if that were the case.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    Fair point to raise.
    It is something to take into consideration. I'm not riding on city streets with cars. I'm drinking one beer and then riding for a considerable distance/amount of time before having another. I don't think the amount of alcohol vs time/effort adds up to anything to be worried about.

Can drinking and biking be a problem? Certainly.

Can it be done in a moderate and responsible manner? I think so.

Getting some healthy exercise and enjoying a couple of beers over the course of an afternoon or evening seems like a great idea to me. I hope no one takes my post as promoting the idea of going out and getting drunk and then jumping on their bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I hope everyone takes my post as promoting going out and getting drunk and jumping on their bike.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    No, not like that.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I love a post ride beer. However, I will not ride my bike if I've had even one beer.
    You're not training hard enough.
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Back when I lived in a city (Lowell, MA) and I was in my late 20s, I took the car off the road for a couple years and just rode everywhere. Used to go to parties and bar hopping and random drunken trail rides all the time. Also got into DHing for a good number of years and there was no shortage of beers consumed on chairlifts and in parking lots, at least among the crowd I was with. I've been pulling together a Wed nite social ride for almost 25 years now, and people typically end up with 3-5 beers in them by the end of it, give or take. Speaking from years of scientific study, I feel pretty comfortable riding a bike at about a beer/hour.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Joined in with a new to me group of folks for a Thursday after work ride last week. Their plan was to do a lap of some tough but fun trails at a local private school. Then return to the cars for a "pit stop" followed by a night lap.
    Turns out the pit stop included beer and hotdogs. Much to our surprise, everyone felt great on the 2nd lap. So much so, that the topic of conversation turned to how hotdogs & beer were obviously the ultimate ride nutrition. As such, it was imperative to design and install a hotdog dispenser on the bike for the SM100 this fall...

mtbr member

Venison scotch egg !

My limit is 3 pints.... I can tell you, that evening last week we FLEW back on the way home, through the woods in the fading light with 3 beers inside you, you nail the trails !

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    We've got one; trails right from the parking lot. Can access the same trails right from my driveway too. Coincidence?
    And they just opened up an outdoor beer garden today.

We should do meat up, ok to bring a big bag of pulled pork for post ride?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    We should do meat up, ok to bring a big bag of pulled pork for post ride?
    Only if we invite the MV NEMBA clowns too!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by weeksy950 View Post

Venison scotch egg !

My limit is 3 pints.... I can tell you, that evening last week we FLEW back on the way home, through the woods in the fading light with 3 beers inside you, you nail the trails !
    Weeksy, I would need at least 7 or 8 beers before I even thought of trying venison scotch egg, whatever that is.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Carry it with you on your pack.

One of my biking buddies organizes a Thursday ride starting and ending at a brewery. On our Saturday mornings ride we take turns to bring a growler of local brew or home brew to share after the ride and on other rides there's always a cooler floating around with some local canned brews so as you can tell sometimes there's more drinking than riding and I'm ok with that.