Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    That is so cool to see someone explore and document the lesser known trails. Aren't you Socal? I would have imagined your trails are running great now. Special hats off to you for the self-documented nature of the pictures
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    evdog, you are my idol. I can't believe how many awesome places you hit this summer/fall both classic, well-known stuff and off the radar awesomeness...... and this post is just one of three or four others you've posted in the past month. Did you take the whole summer off?

I love the detail trail descriptions. You have a really good sense of where you are and where you want to go even in unfamiliar country. You must be a map stud!

I'd give you more rep but the rep nazi won't let me.

mtbr member
    Damn Evan, awesome trip!
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNihilist View Post
    Have a week or so more still to go! Plus I have other trips from this summer I have not posted yet but still hope to.... I take this as a compliment, so thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordansrealm View Post
    This is amazing.... Was this recent? I am surprised there isn't more snow already?
    My trip was mid Sept to mid Oct, roughly....35 days straight. It takes a long time to get all these reports up!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    That is so cool to see someone explore and document the lesser known trails. Aren't you Socal? I would have imagined your trails are running great now. Special hats off to you for the self-documented nature of the pictures
    Thanks Lee, I have been inspired by all your writeups over the years. Yes I am socal (formerly N Van also). Our SD trails are still summer conditions right now, dry as can be for the most part. I love exploring new trails. Only wish I had been into it so much when I was in BC. Got into bikepacking last year so I definitely need to get back up and check out the chiloctins next year.

Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    evdog, you are my idol. I can't believe how many awesome places you hit this summer/fall both classic, well-known stuff and off the radar awesomeness...... and this post is just one of three or four others you've posted in the past month. Did you take the whole summer off?

I love the detail trail descriptions. You have a really good sense of where you are and where you want to go even in unfamiliar country. You must be a map stud!

I'd give you more rep but the rep nazi won't let me.
    Thanks Krob! Like Lee, your pics have been a huge inspiration too! I love all the techy stuff you ride and document. I have been fortunate to have been off work for over a year and have made the best of it by doing lots of road trips. I love exploring backcountry trails and all the classic destinations so that is what influences my trips. I am stoked that people are enjoying my writeups. There are always lots of new places to explore!

Quote Originally Posted by EMFC View Post
    Damn Evan, awesome trip!
    You must be 2 yrs in now at lemoore? Come back soon Eric! Have you been able to check out any mtb nearby or just road? I know there is good mtb within a few hours of your town...

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Stupid question and I've absolutely no research. Next November we were thinking of going out to LA area - staying with my sis at Topanga and doing some riding in the area. Is there enough for 5 - 6 days
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Could we get a closeup of that French tourist?
    Because, one is never enough.

mtbr member
    Phenomenal trip report! Thanks.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Wow. Thank you for posting this. Awesome shots and great write up.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    So Awesome!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Stupid question and I've absolutely no research. Next November we were thinking of going out to LA area - staying with my sis at Topanga and doing some riding in the area. Is there enough for 5 - 6 days
    You can definitely fill 5-6 days in the area. Hitting best stuff will take some drives of up to 90min, but I think you would be stoked on these rides. If you're able to get more days it would be well worth it.

Santa Monica backbone is right there, good for a couple days. http://www.nps.gov/samo/planyourvisit/upload/BBTMap.pdf

Santa Barbara - Tunnel, Romero, Cold Springs, and/or San Ysidro trails. 1-2 days Front Country Topo

Ojai. Up Gridley, down Pratt. Chorro Grande to Ortega is a good long backcountry ride but also has lots of nasty 4x4 trail. Map good for whole area Ventura, Simi, etc Ventua County Area Trails

San Gabriel Mtns, good for several days riding. Mt Lowe to Upper/middle Merril, to Sunset and El Prieto. Or Chantry/Zion/Sturtevant. Or Mt Hillyer to Chilao to Silver Moccasin. Mount Baldy (Devils Backbone to Bear Creek trail). Some excellent high elevation backcountry rides available. Online maps are hard to come by, but plenty of guidebooks are available like Franko's or Trails of the Angeles.

Santa Ana mountains in OC. San Juan Trail to Los Pinos; up Holy Jim down Joplin; lots of possibilities. MountainBikeBill's Mountain biking Trail Reviews, Videos and Pictures has maps and writeups for these and rides below.

A bit further, but worth it: Santa Ana River Trail, up to 50 miles of great singletrack. Palm Canyon epic above Palm Springs - awesome remote desert riding.

That should be enough to get you started. Shoot me a message if you have any questions. Heckler rode some of this stuff on his trip also.

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Great report and superbly documented! Thanks for taking the time. Some inspiration there for future trips
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

mtbr member
    Incredible job documenting your trip, in both words and photographs! I'm setting some new goals for my own riding now. Really a pleasure to read this thread.

mtbr member
    I hadn't noticed that you added more of the Moab stuff since I last looked. The more I see of the La Sals, the more I wished I lived in Moab. There's just so much up there that I just don't get a chance to explore when I'm there on a 3-4 day trip once every other year or so.

Then all the new stuff popping up not to mention all the exploring that is possible on all the slick rock that surrounds moab. Wow.

I forgot to mention in my first response how cool this goat is, and I'll add this shot of Warner Lake to my list as well. Best trip report I've seen in a long time. Awesome pictures. Thanks again.

Dare I ask? Is there still more?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trip Report - More Utah awesomeness (UT x-post, pic heavy!)-evdog-goat.jpg  

Trip Report - More Utah awesomeness (UT x-post, pic heavy!)-evdog-warner-lake.jpg  

Only 5 lives left
    Wow, wow, wow!

friend of Apex
    rad post is rad
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    awesome pictures

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    have ridden 5moh many times over the years on the dirt bike. Awesome you went in there on the mtb. You don't really want to go down Iron Wash as it turns into a deep sandy wash for several miles. Most of the other trails in that area also feature deep sandy washes which make it difficult. A lot of miles on a lot of difficult terrain. you are a stud!!

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks for sharing.
    2014 Trek Slash 8
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MEfLAZIWAU-My Trail Dog

This is how it started...
    I did not want this to end...I'll be checking in for more.
    Life is about the ride.

mtbr member
    Nice job. I especially like the mountain goat shots, and trails up in the Ogden area.

I've been scared by grouses (grice?) numerous times on the trail.

I wish you checked out the Abajos for me, so I knew how the trails are around there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Fantastic report, and great pictures. I wish one day I could visit these areas on a bike. Thanks evdog!
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

two wheel whore
    Thanks for posting! That is a lot of riding!