No Clue Crew

The Triangle on South Mountain's National Trail

XPost from AZ Forum...

Triangle Session from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

And then a week and a half later...

Triangle Session Two from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

Super stoked to have made it even though it wasn't pretty.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I was almost tilting my monitor to help you get over that lump well done!

mtbr member
    Way to stick with it, and congradulations.
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

mtbr member
    Good amount of effort there, Mike. Congrats, that looks pretty difficult. Glad you got it under your belt.

Next time you can do it first try.
    Yesterday starts tomorrow, tomorrow starts today, and the problem seems to be we're picking up the pieces on the ricochet

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Take that gigantic backpack off ... at least until you nail a few times.

mtbr member
    Good job, Mike. I knew you'd nail it.

Your vids always crack me up with your running commentary. We all do it..... just not quite so publicly (and without quite so many expletives ).
    Last edited by KRob; 12-12-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Xtreme Lounger
    Way to go. Thanks for sharing the videos.

EDR
    that's tough. I've never made it up 100%.

To the other poster...the pack is to protect your back when we flip over backwards, lol but true.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by gobriango View Post
    Take that gigantic backpack off ... at least until you nail a few times.
    Not a chance...

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    the pack is to protect your back when we flip over backwards, lol but true.
    That's exactly why I wear it

mtbr member
    Damn, Mike. I'm happy for you that you made it, but I'm also pissed that you did. What will be the next obstacle that we'll get to watch you call yourself a ****er, ******, cock sucker, or whatever other colorful name you give yourself?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post

That's exactly why I wear it
    So true.

I have a 3'' scar on my lower back (from Natty) when I went over and didn't have the lower strap buckled. The pack came up around my neck and I got a real good gouge from a rock. Nothing in Phx is 'soft'.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Damn, Mike. I'm happy for you that you made it, but I'm also pissed that you did. What will be the next obstacle that we'll get to watch you call yourself a ****er, ******, cock sucker, or whatever other colorful name you give yourself?
    I know. I've been asking myself "what's next" and I can't think of anything. Off the top of my head that's the most challenging climb I can think of. And, honestly, I won't consider it REALLY done until I can clean it every time I encounter it (maybe a couple tries but clean it). Like the stairs on Irregular... I've cleaned them many times. And ONE time I actually cleaned it the first attempt. But, I'm still maybe 20% or 30% on that pig so I won't say I've mastered it. Likewise, I've done the Triangle but not mastered it. Hell, I probably won't be happy until I can roll it as smooth as Kenny.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I was almost tilting my monitor to help you get over that lump

mtbr member
    I know. I've been asking myself "what's next" and I can't think of anything. Off the top of my head that's the most challenging climb I can think of.

Really? Heck, I can think of three or four more challenging climbs on Natty alone. The famous 1, 2, and 3 sections on lower National and then when you've mastered those......
    Time to tackle the Waterfall! Now there's a challenge! (Actually...I'd about come to the conclusion that only freaks and trials riders could climb the Waterfall until I saw Ronnie come very close when I was down there this past weekend. He's an excellent rider but no super freak.)
    Last edited by KRob; 12-12-2012 at 09:54 PM.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Really? Heck, I can think of three or four more challenging climbs on Natty alone. The famous 1, 2, and 3 sections on lower National and then when you've master those......
    Time to tackle the Waterfall! Now there's a challenge! (Actually...I'd about come to the conclusion that only freaks and trials riders could clean the Waterfall until I saw Ronnie come very close when I was down there this past weekend. He's an excellent rider but no super freak.)
    I personally watched a guy years ago on a 38-40lb FR rig climb the lower Waterfall, it took him 3 or 4 attempts but he did it. I was impressed, he just muscled up it.

I've also ran into Ronnie at The Waterfall. I didn't now him from Adam but he noticed my Ronnie Ring so we got to chatting. He gave it a few good attempts and then explained to me why he was no longer riding clipless pedals. Sick story, and I don't mean the good kind of "sick".

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Really? Heck, I can think of three or four more challenging climbs on Natty alone. The famous 1, 2, and 3 sections on lower National and then when you've mastered those......
    Time to tackle the Waterfall! Now there's a challenge! (Actually...I'd about come to the conclusion that only freaks and trials riders could climb the Waterfall until I saw Ronnie come very close when I was down there this past weekend. He's an excellent rider but no super freak.)
    Three or four MORE challenging climbs (climbs that are more challenging than the triangle) or just three or four more climbs that are challenging?

For whatever reason, this obstacle really stood out to me as being something I wanted to tackle and something reasonably within my grasp. I honestly thought it would take a lot longer. The Waterfall won't happen for sure. I have a tough time going down it sometimes. Well, all the time, really.

Now, some of those other climbs on National I definitely need to work on. Like the one I told Kenny he made look easy. I've come close to that one but not yet made it clean.

But, to me at least, a lot of other obstacles are really just having the strength to make it up. Which I don't have. And to me strength isn't such a big deal as skill. I know I'll catch hell for this but it's like running marathons and triathalons. Sure, it's very tough. But, in my mind it doesn't require a lot of skill. Just strength and stamina. Anyone can have strength and stamina if you work at it enough.

Skill... That's something altogether different. That's where I saw this obstacle. It requires strength, certainly (I barely mustered up enough), but more importantly it requires a slightly different skill than just turning your pedals. Especially when you wanna make it look as easy as Kenny does.

But, none of this should be construed as though I'm all full of myself. Nothing could be further from the truth. Hell, you just gotta listen to any of my videos to know I am definitely my worst critic. I'm just really happy I knocked a tough obstacle off my list.

The downside is most of the other obstacles I can think of REALLY require strength. I was happy working on this for 45 minutes 'cause I screw it up, go right back to the start and do it again. I was never really out of breath like on some of those grueling climbs. Like that other stair section Kenny made look easy. Every time I try that and fail I'm winded and need an actual break. It may take longer than 45 minutes to conquer that one...

mtbr member
    Three or four MORE challenging climbs (climbs that are more challenging than the triangle) or just three or four more climbs that are challenging?
    Maybe I should rephrase that. More challenging for me.... cause I've only ever cleaned one or two of them after several attempts.

If you've climbed National I'm sure you know which sections I'm referring to.

The first one is right after the left hand switchback at the bottom of National. tiSS'er and their crew call it simply #1. It does take some power to clean but also a good dose of finesse and technique.

I'm not sure exactly where on national the other two are but they're all similar and occur before Mormon merges. Maybe one of them is near the Triangle?

I just know there was three of them and they called them #1, #2, and #3 and I had fits with all of them.

Anyway, not to derail from a fine accomplishment, but SoMo is a tech climbers dream. There's tons of stuff out there I could spend a lifetime trying to clean. You guys are fortunate to have it in your back yard.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Go during the week, otherwise it's like Costco on the weekends.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

26 ain't dead
    Nice job finally getting that move! As a long time moto trials rider, my two bits of advice, which I am sure you have heard, is to carry momentum and shift your body weight as you go up the rock. One of the things I see new trials do more than anything else is they approach a steep rock super slow, then try and accelerate up it. Doesn't work unless you have super fine throttle/clutch control. Same deal here. I try to carry enough momentum that I don't need to pedal/throttle at all to get up an obstacle. Then shift my weight as needed. Easier said then done and not much help without visual aids.

I recommend watching some trials videos on youtube or whatnot. And not just bicycle but moto as well. I might try and dig up a few, there's some good slo-mo vids out there.

Regardless, that's a tough move and you should be stoked that you nailed it!

Oh, and go ride the Dells if you haven't yet...

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

Congrats bigOmike

I find I do the exact same thing when I'm out riding trials.....I cuss at myself all the time.
    Too funny.

great job! that does look to be a pretty tuff line, and when you put the Chesty on, the backside doesn't look all that much easier.

I thought your preload and weight transfer before the intial rock at 3:45 in the second video was great. You might not have realized it, but I think that was really your "turning point" to consistently getting up the rock. That being your preload and weight transfer. After that you were consistently getting up on the rock, then it looks as if you are leaning a back a little, which would make your front wheel raise up off the rock. The times you came close you would get on the rock and throw you weight forward towards the next "obstacle"....that was/is the key to keeping you going forward, along with those quarter pedal jabs.

Kudos to you and your consistency! A definite triumph!!

Keep at it.

Would love to see more, AZ is such a great place to ride and a true proving ground.
    oldmanjusthavingfunontwowheelsurbandirtandroad