mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Transalp 2014 - video

Had to wait for a long time before being able to leave for a whole week without family to cross the Alps through Germany, Austria and Italy...Destination was the Garda Lake...

Here are some impressions of this trip with some friends

mtbr member
    Looks awesome!

Can you tell us more about the trip and how it was set up? For example were you supported by a vehicle, where did you stay/eat, etc. Or were you self supported with just what you could carry? Thanks for posting!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for your positive feedback evdog.

This was part of an organized tour provided by a professional guide.
    Routes can thus be easily found on the net. We slept in youth hostels, mountain huts and sometimes hotels. The equipement was in our bags but we had a possible backup by a car at the end of the day when the place was reachable. It turned out to be useful since we had some technical defects.

Anyway we met several people on their own in the mountains but as a first experience we felt safer with someone knowing the spots/trails.

mtbr member
    Looks like it was a blast. What were the circumstances for the bike pulling? Just curious

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Riding for days through the Alps with an unloaded FS bike...sounds and looks like a sublime experience. Bravo on a job well done, and thanks for posting!

I stayed a couple of weeks in CH with the awesome backdrop of the Alps surrounding. It was great to see an old friend, but it hurt being there during a warm winter and not really being able to do snow or non-snow sports. We vowed to make it a cycling vacation next time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    @falconpunch7: out of 6 bikes 2 had the same technical problem: freewheel broke so there was no possibility to pedal anymore. Luckily the first time was just after the daily stage so we could easily find a replacement Wheel (26 inches is still the standard in Europe). As for the second one which you can see on the video...it occured 10km before the end of the stage on the second last day. So we decided to pull the unlucky biker...was tough but fun. He used a replacement bike the final day since his Wheel size is 29er...less easy to find for the moment.

@She&I: I can easily imagine the feeling...the was my first biking experience in the mountains while I have been crossing them on numerous occasions...

mtbr member
    I see. A friend of mine is building up a touring bike and went with 26 in wheels for that same reason. Guess he figures he might end up somewhere that might be difficult to find parts for other wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Looks like the ride of a lifetime and the definition of the overused word "epic." Thanks for sharing. And making me jealous.