Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trails in Spain?

773 views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Mig 
#1 ·
Planning a trip to Spain in late May and checking all my resources for trail recommendations. I'll be staying in Zarzelejo near Madrid most of the time but open to other recommendations. If you're available to show an "ugly american" the goods over there, let me know.

#2 ·
Qman said:
Planning a trip to Spain in late May and checking all my resources for trail recommendations.
Well..... all I know is that the rain in Spain falls mainly in the plain.... so you should be able to deduce from that that the trails in Spain are mainly............. dry?

Sorry. I know that's no help. Good luck on your trip. Sounds like fun.

#5 ·
Qman said:
Planning a trip to Spain in late May and checking all my resources for trail recommendations. I'll be staying in Zarzelejo near Madrid most of the time but open to other recommendations. If you're available to show an "ugly american" the goods over there, let me know.
I was in madrid a couple of years ago, and while I didn't get to do any rides, it seemed like there was a pretty big bike scene. a couple guys at a shop mentioned that there were dirt rides inside the city, and I saw a lot of people street-riding their mtb's. So if you can bring a bike along, it's probably worth it.
some words to the wise: the wine is great, the beer sucks, the women are gorgeous, and watch out for gypsies trying to pick your pockets on the Metro.

#6 ·
fat_weasel said:
I was in madrid a couple of years ago, and while I didn't get to do any rides, it seemed like there was a pretty big bike scene. a couple guys at a shop mentioned that there were dirt rides inside the city, and I saw a lot of people street-riding their mtb's. So if you can bring a bike along, it's probably worth it.
some words to the wise: the wine is great, the beer sucks, the women are gorgeous, and watch out for gypsies trying to pick your pockets on the Metro.
Good to know! Especially about the women and the gypsies...
I have good contacts over there but the most important one, a distant relative that owns www.mammoth-mtb.com, doesn't speak English and my Spanish is extremely poor. Trying to polish that up before the trip though so we'll see.

#7 ·
http://www.sierracycling.com/

I was looking to go to Spain on my trip this spring but decided to go elsewhere. This is the only good site I found on Mountain Biking in Spain. Looks a little too much like my back yard so I decided to MTB in the Pyrenees and the Alps.
The company that the above link goes to sounds like they know what they are doing and the prices are very attractive.
Have a good time.
Also try doing some searches on mountain biking in Spain. There might be some other stuff out there.

#10 ·
Andalucia...but maybe too far for you in Madrid

Andalucia is awesome but hot and dry... we lived there for 3 years between Jerez De La Fontera and Cadiz...This was ten years ago and mountainbiking was nothing compared to the Road bike scene but there were some really cool trails...most were horse/hiking trails

First is Ardales i think i spelled it right... there are three resevours that feed Malaga to the north and there are trails all over the the hills around the lakes...very nice...good camping too... like i said.."it's a Dry Heat" like sucking on a hair dryer...kinda heat!
Costa Del Sol cool and there's a town near called Ronda ...very cool. it's the birth place of Bull fighting.

Next Tarifa...its on the south west tip of spain...very cool right at the mouth of the strait of Gibraltar...again horse trails thru the mountains...Tarifa is windsurfing capital of the world...or at the time was...and some huge dunes very cool. lots of hillsides loaded with wind turbines.

Next Granada...Sierra Nevada is very close...go up the road into the Sierra takes you to the ski-resort of Solyniege and beyond towards the Pico the Veleta...there are all kinds of trails up there. Cool view ...its the highest road in Europe. Granada is one one the coolest cities in Spain by far. check out the Alhambra.

All of the locations aren't real helpful to you unless you are willing to drive 12-14 hours...long haul! good luck and good riding!

#12 ·
When you get there just find the local shops and they usually have a group ride or can point you towards rides. I took my mtb to Spain a few years ago and that's what we did. This was in Alicante which is a ways from Madrid.

#13 ·
I'll be in Spain too...looking for a group ride

I'll be there from May 12 to 22 with a bunch of my friends. I'm the only one that rides, so I would like to find a group to ride with if possible.

The first 4 days I'll be traveling to Barcelona, Valcenia, and checking out Ibiza. Then 2 days around Granda, and onto Malaga, Marbella, Gibralter. Then onto Sevilla, Toledo, and the last 3 days in Madrid. So, if you or anyone is going be around at that time and wants to find some time to ride, you can count me in. My email is epessolo@netscape.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.