Praise Bob

TrailGuru and iPhone

I just got a new iPhone and downloaded a free GPS application called TrailGuru. It is pretty straightforward and seems to get OK results. I took my phone out with me yesterday for an easy XC ride in ocala and posted the results here: http://www.trailguru.com/wiki/index.php/Track:YUM

I was wondering what other people's experiences were with the software. It has a couple of quirks but considering how new it is I think it has serious potential. I did match the results from my bike computer and it is a little bit off. TrailGuru must be averaging speeds because I hit 22mph for a split second on a rollercoaster type downhill near vortex and the iPhone only reported 16mph. Also the distance doesnt seem to be quite right. It looks like it dropped part of the trail as evidenced by the altitude history graph. I know for a fact I didnt do a 500foot descend in .5 miles at the begining of Cowbone. That trail is nearly flat! My computer registerd 9.3 miles and Trailguru reported 7.2. Still... it's free.

Anyone else use this software?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Do they let you upload tracks to the app or does it just track where you go?

also after breaking two smartphones while riding (1 crushed LCD while in my camelback, 1 got a little wet which killed the backlight) i've learned my lesson and won't take out an expensive phone on the trail anymore so this app, while it sounds cool, won't be coming with me and will be left up to the GPS. i bought a $25 prepay phone that i switch my sim card to for riding. i think this iphone app is better for hiking than biking because of this

mtbr member
    a 50 foot decent across all of cowbone sounds about right......not 500 though....that's one of my fav trails at santos, b/c it keeps you going downhill for a good amount of time...

mtbr member
    i tried to use it on saturday. 39 mile ride that lasted 4 hours and 9 minutes. the battery died at 4 hours and 4 minutes and lost all the data. i was bummed. i guess i need to turn down the screen brightness when i use it for longer rides.
    "who's pushing the pedals on the season cycle?" -xtc

Praise Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by jred321
    Do they let you upload tracks to the app or does it just track where you go?

also after breaking two smartphones while riding (1 crushed LCD while in my camelback, 1 got a little wet which killed the backlight) i've learned my lesson and won't take out an expensive phone on the trail anymore so this app, while it sounds cool, won't be coming with me and will be left up to the GPS. i bought a $25 prepay phone that i switch my sim card to for riding. i think this iphone app is better for hiking than biking because of this
    Yes, they let you upload and share tracks for free. Overall it is a pretty cool piece of software, but doesnt seem to have the accuracy that I would like.

I am a bit nervous carrying the phone with me, but i did get the neoprene protector and I ride with it in my camelback MULE. The camelback has an interior padded pocket for camera or phone and it fits the iPhone perfectly. I need to carry a phone for emergency anyway so the TrailGuru app is a bonus.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    mine have been in my camelbak when riding though not in a safe interior pocket (wonder if i have one of those), just in the top exterior pocket of my lobo. the cracked LCD i somehow turned as i was falling and landed right on my back on a rock. i'd say even in the padded pocket be sure the LCD is facing your body not out so if something hard does come at it only the back is hurt and the glass on the lcd doesn't break. breaking an expensive phone while within contract sucks

mtbr member
    I downloaded it but I have not tried it yet. However, I bought another similar application for my iphone named Path Tracker and it seems to be pretty accurate. I think it was either $0.99 or $1.99. You may want to check that one out. This one also lets you upload your tracks.

mtbr member
    I am digging path tracker so far and the recent updates improve it. You have options now to further conserve battery life while running the app - example: option to not display a real time map. It includes tips and tricks for battery consumption also which have help.

It would be nice if you could delete a range of 'points', in the event you hypothetically forget to stop the path and you drive home with the GPS still logging - not that I did that yesterday. I would have to go and delete about 1000 reference points individually to 'erase' the superfluous tracking.

Hit the satellite or hybrid button when you check these...

I repeated a few sections, sorry for the tangle of trails. http://pathtracks.com/users/7654/paths/33376

Another
    http://pathtracks.com/users/7654/paths/24124

Family ride along the trail near home:
    http://pathtracks.com/users/7654/paths/19157

Oh, and if you're a Trail Nazi in Austin - go screw if you are thinking about flaming me for posting the "hidden" trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Are there any similar aps for the sprint G3 phone?

tardcore
    I've been using trailguru and it's working ok but there's some obvious limitations. Thanks for the heads-up on Path Tracker I'm going to give it a try BTW it's only 99 cents.